Strasberg 6yrs. $50 mill????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Strasberg 6yrs. $50 mill?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strasberg 6yrs. $50 mill?????

Postby rjwock07 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:01 am

The bottom line don't lie...espn reports that Strasberg will go number one overall and his agent Scot Boris expects a 6 year $50 million :-L . Much like Stafford's salary in the NFL, is this too much for an unproven rookie?
"Great things come from the mind of a man who can be happy, but never satisfied."
rjwock07
College Coach
College Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strasberg 6yrs. $50 mill?????

Postby s221506 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:24 am

Over/Under 8 starts this year?

I say over!
s221506
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevekahuda » Wed May 06, 2009 5:46 am

rjwock07 wrote:The bottom line don't lie...espn reports that Strasberg will go number one overall and his agent Scot Boris expects a 6 year $50 million :-L . Much like Stafford's salary in the NFL, is this too much for an unproven rookie?

Yes, but that doesn't decide whether or not he's going to get it. I personally don't think he will because its way our of line historically. Stafford's wasn't insane, it was just large. Wasn't even a huge jump from the last QB IIRC. Let him charge what the market will bear, and it will tell him if its too much. When I try and get a job, I try and get the maximum amount of money out of the employer. These guys have to remember that its not about the team. The team is essentially a company. Companies no longer have any loyalty towards employees, why should the employees have loyalty to a company?
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Shizane » Wed May 06, 2009 7:23 pm

The key difference between Stafford and Strasburg is that Strasburg is actually good and might be worth the $$$.
Shizane
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ninremix » Sat May 09, 2009 3:43 pm

when is the draft?
ninremix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mac-unit » Sat May 09, 2009 3:58 pm

The draft starts June 9th.

I don't think he will be up this season. The Nats aren't going to give him that much and Boras likes to ruin the sport so he won't sign until August 15th the earliest. Look how Boras did Alvarez the 2nd pick with not as much hype. He didn't fully sign until September 22nd. If the Nats do sign him right away and bring him up for Sept. call ups. The Nats have 15 games that are against the Phillies, Mets and Dodgers. I don't care how good he is in college he isn't ready to face those lineups.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 114)

Postby WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan » Tue May 12, 2009 12:34 am

Honestly, considering that it's the Nats who have the first pick, they should pony up the cash. The Majors throws serious cash at any pitcher who can even sniff 100 mph, and Strasberg's heater sits just north of that, and he's been clocked at 103 mph. I'm being completely serious when I say that he will throw a baseball faster than any human being post-radar gun era has ever thrown it before (current record is Zumaya with 104.3). Not only is his fastball literally unhittable, but his other pitches are quickly approaching lethal status and he has an amazing amount of control to go along with that speed. We'll just have to wait and see how long his arm can withstand throwing that sort of heat.
Albert Pujols is to baseball what Jesus is to religion. He's better at this than I've ever been at anything in my life. He's better at this than you'll ever be, at anything. Pujols has a gift.
WeTalkinAboutPracticeMan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OnceinDC2\1 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:14 am

Let's keep in mind that Strasberg will likely have to hone his control and secondary arsenal a bit. When you throw around 100mph, anywhere in the strike zone will do. In the majors that is not enough to be completely dominant. Ask Kyle Farnsworth. Not trying to knock Strasberg, he's clearly an exceedingly rare talent it's just a little too early to go all in on him.
OnceinDC2\1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 12, 2009 11:53 am

I actually think Boras has the leverage to pull this one off. Washington can't afford the PR embarrassment after last year's dealing with Crow. Strasberg has the talent to change the course of the franchise.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Oatsdad » Tue May 12, 2009 5:16 pm

I'm a Nats fan, and I wish they'd take someone else. The track record on 1st round pitchers is AWFUL. I'm old enough to remember how Ben McDonald was supposed to be the Greatest Pitcher Ever - how'd that turn out? Or Kris Benson?

Maybe Strasberg will be the exception to the rule, but that seems doubtful - we have decades of experience that says 1st round pitchers never pan out... :,-(
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates