How should Hamels be valued?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How should Hamels be valued?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Cole Hamels is really Adam Eaton in disguise
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Cole Hamels is really Adam Eaton in disguise

Except for a WS MVP.

Snap.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 pm

great gretzky wrote:

Except for a WS MVP.

Snap.

sorry...i meant for 2009...i'm just waiting for someone to pull a Cole Hamels mask off and reveal Adam Eaton a la Scooby-Doo ...there's just no other explanation for his suck (unless he's been drinking after Jimmy Rollins :-? )
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:30 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
great gretzky wrote:

Except for a WS MVP.

Snap.

sorry...i meant for 2009...i'm just waiting for someone to pull a Cole Hamels mask off and reveal Adam Eaton a la Scooby-Doo ...there's just no other explanation for his suck (unless he's been drinking after Jimmy Rollins :-? )

It's not that he's been suck, it's just that he's been wildly and frustratingly inconsistent. Two starts after his CGSO at Citi Field, he goes and allows 2 ER in back-to-back starts in Philly against Toronto and Baltimore in Interleague play, and then goes on the Road to Toronto, gives up 4 ER in 4.2, and gets his eyes bashed in in Atlanta for 7 ER in 4 IP, only to come back Home and hold Cinci to 1 Run in 7 innings, and then lets the Bucs tag him for 5 earned in 6 innings... it's like, WTF? He's been a mess on the Road all year, but hasn't been terrible at Citizens, but he's really yet to string together a nice run of good starts in a row at any point this season. As I said, frustratingly inconsistent. :-[
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby great gretzky » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Actually, the past issue of Men's Health had a story about him. Won't belabor it, but there were a couple of comments in there about how he didn't turn things down like appearances etc. It's small, but I frequently wonder about that in fantasy. Maybe he didn't bear down on things as much in the off-season or whatever. I also would LOVE to see a study on what fantasy performance is like after getting married. Seems like it would be hard to concentrate to me.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby CadensDad » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:50 pm

I sold him straight up for Fuentes a few weeks back. Pretty happy so far with it

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:46 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
great gretzky wrote:
Except for a WS MVP.

Snap.

It's not that he's been suck, it's just that he's been wildly and frustratingly inconsistent. Two starts after his CGSO at Citi Field, he goes and allows 2 ER in back-to-back starts in Philly against Toronto and Baltimore in Interleague play, and then goes on the Road to Toronto, gives up 4 ER in 4.2, and gets his eyes bashed in in Atlanta for 7 ER in 4 IP, only to come back Home and hold Cinci to 1 Run in 7 innings, and then lets the Bucs tag him for 5 earned in 6 innings... it's like, WTF? He's been a mess on the Road all year, but hasn't been terrible at Citizens, but he's really yet to string together a nice run of good starts in a row at any point this season. As I said, frustratingly inconsistent. :-[

yeah i guess...just seems like everytime i check the box score it's the suck i remember...hopefully he'll turn it around because no way i can get good value for him now
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ivanhack » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks for the article! Great article! ;-D

I am a Hamels owner right now and I really think he's a buy-low candidate right now.

I got the following offers today for him in my leauge:

Kershaw & Fuentes for Hamels
Cueto & Huston Street for Hamels
AJ Burnett for Hamels

Hamels has a 85 to 18 K/BB ratio, as another owner stated in this thread, which is pretty damn good.

Anyway, personally I'm going to ride it out with him unless someone overwhelms me with an offer.

CAVscout wrote:Well consider me a believer (although I may be biased as I do own him in my league), I have heard the news about his changeup being off, but seeing how it's a "feel" pitch I'll gamble that he'll get it back on track in the 2nd half....here's a good article for you to lift your spirits on the guy http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... ine-thanks
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:22 pm

I think Cole Hamels is more like Scott kazmir, I thought he was overvalued, injury prone in the minors. until he puts up 2 consecutive great years I think the Kazmir comparison will stick.

Oh' I think he would be having a better year if he spent the offseason conditioning instead of touring the contry and hitting every media market to expose himself.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers