How should Hamels be valued? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How should Hamels be valued?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How should Hamels be valued?

Postby haymarket » Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Thread title pretty much sums it up. I was thinking of making some offers for him, but wasn't sure how to value him. I haven't seen him pitch at all this year, but the lines from his last two starts looked good until they were cut short. Is it foolish to rank him as a top ten pitcher from this point forward, or is this a high risk, high reward situation. Can we expect something similiar to last years stats from here on out?
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How should Hamels be valued?

Postby CadensDad » Mon May 04, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm about 98% sure he will still finish a top 10 pitcher, He value has taken a slight hit but not much

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AEMRICH » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:32 pm

what is the deal with Hamels is he still not 100% and just not telling anyone?
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby smoovethug » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:08 pm

His value is back where it was to begin the season IMO. At the moment there are no lingering injury concerns, the velocity has been back for a month or so now and he's been pitching fine all May minus the start vs. WAS where he simply didn't have his best stuff. His last start against the Dodgers, his best of the season, tells me he is where he needs to be. His K/BB is golden. He got hit around tonight but a lot of the damage came on bloop hits. If you're looking to trade for him I'd do so now because I don't expect his value to go down from here.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby pepperoncino » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:18 am

hamels is fine after a slow start to the season (he got started late in spring training). top ten starter. tonight was an aberration.
pepperoncino
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Anyone have any new insight/opinion on Hamels? Since the last post in this thread, he has been VERY up and down. I saw some quote from his pitching coach saying he's "lost his feel" for his changeup. Is that all that's wrong?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:14 pm

Hamels sucks this year. The innings he's pitched in recent years has to be taking a toll. As a Hamels owner myself, I am terrified of starting him against any offense, after his god-awful performances against the mediocre/terrible lineups of ATL and PIT. I hope he's in line for a huge second half, but I just don't see it happening.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:22 pm

I don't think he should be viewed as a top 10 starter right now. Plenty of pitchers have off years and it may apply to Hamels.

I would shop him to see what you could get for him and try to unload him to a believer. His name still has value.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:26 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Anyone have any new insight/opinion on Hamels? Since the last post in this thread, he has been VERY up and down. I saw some quote from his pitching coach saying he's "lost his feel" for his changeup. Is that all that's wrong?

If he's lost his changeup, that's pretty damn bad IMO. 8-o That's like saying "oh, Teixeira lost his power, is that all?" He better get it back ASAP. After 23.8 and 16.6 run changeups the last two years, the runs saved by Hamels' changeup this year is exactly 0.0. A 23.8 run drop is pretty alarming given that the change is his bread and butter.

Seriously, in my mind I read his wCH exactly as Dean Wormer read John Belushi's GPA in Animal House.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby CAVscout » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm

Well consider me a believer (although I may be biased as I do own him in my league), I have heard the news about his changeup being off, but seeing how it's a "feel" pitch I'll gamble that he'll get it back on track in the 2nd half....here's a good article for you to lift your spirits on the guy http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... ine-thanks
CAVscout
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers