10-team league. Help me win the $1000 prize! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

10-team league. Help me win the $1000 prize!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

10-team league. Help me win the $1000 prize!

Postby EB » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:39 pm

Hi. I just finished drafting in a 10-team, 5x5 Roto league with a bunch of friends. We each pay $100, so the winner gets $1000. I had the 1st pick. I'm going to go through the strategy I had at each position to give you a better of idea of how I drafted.

C - Matt LeCroy has the ability to put up numbers similar to Mike Piazza or Jorge Posada and he'll be DH'ing a lot of the time. I didn't think it was necessary to pick Posada or Piazza in the first few rounds when I could get similar numbers in the 16th round.
1B - I like to have pure power at this position to get a head start on homers and RBI's. Jim Thome fit the bill in the 3rd round.
2B - This is not a deep position so I wanted one of the top 6 (Soriano, Boone, Kent, Castillo, Vidro, Giles). Jose Vidro was there in the 7th round.
SS - Obviously, A-Rod is the first pick in any league.
3B - This is an extremely deep position for a change, so I let it go longer than usual. I think Morgan Ensberg could hit 35-100 and I got him in the 9th round.
CIF - I like to take one of the lower-tier 1B for some more power here and I was happy to get Ryan Klesko in the 14th round. He'll be well protected by Phil Nevin and Brian Giles.
MIF - Normally, I would go for a speed guy here, but since my outfielders have a lot of speed, I went for a combo guy in Placido Polanco. I picked him in the 15th round and I think he could have a 20-20 year.
OF - I also like combo power-speed guys here. Abreu (4th round), Lee (6th round) and Reggie Sanders (18th round) will all get HR and SB for me. Randy Winn (12th round) is a pure speed guy and Brad Wilkerson (20th round) is a pure power guy. Together, they are the equivalent of two combo guys.
Util - I like to grab power again here and 25 HR from Tony Batista in the 22nd round was a perfect fit.
SP - I like to take a young power arm in the first four rounds, which I got with Roy Halladay in Round 2. I like to fill up on hitters in the first 10 rounds so the only other starter i took was Matt Morris in the 8th. I love taking young guys with upside and Wade Miller and Randy Wolf are almost identical in fitting that description. I took them back to back in the 10th and 11th. For my last two starters, I chose to take a proven ace (Freddy Garcia in the 17th) and another young guy with upside (Odalis Perez in the 19th).
RP - I definitely wanted one of the big 5 closers, which is why I took John Smoltz in the 5th. I don't necessarily need to win the saves category, but 100+ saves should be good enough to finish in the top 4. Joe Nathan (13th round) and Billy Koch (21st round) will help me accomplish that goal.
Bench - I grabbed one more speed guy (Marlon Byrd - 23rd round) and one more power guy (Craig Wilson - 24th round) in case I need to boost either of those. I also took Fernando Rodney with the 25th pick. If either Rodney or Koch can retain the closers job for the season they should get about 20 saves.

C - Matt LeCroy
1B - Jim Thome
2B - Jose Vidro
SS - Alex Rodriguez
3B - Morgan Ensberg
CIF - Ryan Klesko
MIF - Placido Polanco
OF - Bobby Abreu
OF - Carlos Lee
OF - Randy Winn
OF - Reggie Sanders
OF - Brad Wilkerson
Util - Tony Batista
SP - Roy Halladay
SP - Matt Morris
SP - Wade Miller
SP - Randy Wolf
SP - Freddy Garcia
SP - Odalis Perez
RP - John Smoltz
RP - Joe Nathan
RP - Billy Koch
Bench - Marlon Byrd
Bench - Craig Wilson
Bench - Rocky Biddle

I realize that my team has a few weaknesses. The two most glaring that I see are the unreliability of my closers (other than Smoltz) and the lack of power from my outfielders. Hopefully, if my closers don't pan out, I'll be able to grab a guy off waivers (I picked up Rocky Biddle last year). As for my outfielders, they are lacking in power a bit, but I think that I'm making up for it by getting power from other positions such as 2B, SS and MIF that normally wouldn't produce power numbers. Any feedback on this team would be appreciated. I'm really hoping for that $1000.
EB

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Dan » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:09 am

you are right about Closers...Biddle is maybe off a bit better, but wont get a lot chances, while Koch's job is a big question mark. I would keep a close eye on him and keep a finger on the trigger for picking up Damaso Marte - I am pretty sure he will be the Sox main closer at some point during the season!

Guess you also wont be top 3 in SB, as other teams with Pierre, Crawford or Podsenik may not be within your reach, but that should be no problem if you rank high in power, which you could. Just hope that Thome stays healthy and watch Klesko, he should be fine, but if he struggles, you will have to find a guy to replace him. Same is with LeCroy, who has to prove himself as the main catcher in Minnesota.

But overall, looks nice, with no need for panic or immediate improvement

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pedantic » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:37 am

Get rid of or trade Batista. He will hurt you more than help.

If this particular answer was helpful to you, click here.
(You can click on none or multiple replies in your thread.)
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team