Chris Ray back as the O's closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chris Ray back as the O's closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chris Ray back as the O's closer?

Postby fbc_fan » Mon May 04, 2009 6:12 pm

johnson and baez are pitching over their heads according to their xFIPs.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:19 pm

SAKIC_19 wrote:No offense Bazzy, but when, this year, has Ray been given the chance to close? Prior to the injury he was dominating and did a fine job. Once the rust comes off he'll be fine and is the obvious choice.

He was lights out in spring training (not that that means much) however his numbers are skewed because of the lack of innings and 2 bad outings.

My money is on Ray taking over.

Ok first off, i never take offense its all good its just my person opinion just like everyone else on here...

but getting to the point, hes been shaky at times so far this year call it shaking off the rust or what have you but ok how was he that 'electric' in ST but now not so much? I know he gave up those runs against the Yankees, but hell its not like you can say 'oh it was just the yankees look at how he did against everyone else' cuz frankly the O's play the Yanks quite a bit haha... its not so much that hes given up the runs, but more so for me the Hits, hes given up 11 in just over 7 IP, and the 4:9 BB:K ratio is a tad shaky in itself also not to mention the 11:12 Groundball:Flyball rate, just look at it right now Ray is just off period. And as any good coach should do, yes hes not got any chances in the 9th, but hell why should he? if he can't get it done in the middle innings they who says hes not going to absolutely blow up in the pressure packed 9th? And if he does it sets him back even further cuz then it messes with his mental wellbeing not just his physical... Quite frankly if it were me i wouldn't give Ray the shot just yet, yes hes got the skill, but hes not putting it together... go with the guy thats done this in the past and has been a reliever his whole career in Baez, let him close down a few games and get Ray back in order..

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nolanwood » Mon May 04, 2009 7:06 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/base ... 7665.story

"Closer-by-committee doesn't work and won't work," Sherrill said. "We'll have to sit down and talk about it and figure out what to do."

"George will keep you on the tightrope more times than not," Trembley said. "There is not a whole lot of save opportunities for him that come rather easy, but I would admit that the location of some of his pitches haven't been as good as they were last year."
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby freakshow » Tue May 05, 2009 12:07 pm

I seem to remember some issue with his mechanics early in the season, arm angle or something. His pitches were all up in the zone, which is not where he needs to pitch. They fixed that and he was lights out until the last couple of outings. In the last two outings, he had absolutely no control. Not just up in the zone, he couldn't find the plate with a map. I'm wondering if there is some new mechanical problem they haven't noticed yet.
freakshow
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby swyck » Tue May 05, 2009 8:39 pm

TornHammy wrote:So why do his numbers stink? Mainly due a ridiculously high .491 BABIP. (Thank you Fangraphs.)

Don't forget that 2.5 K/BB ratio! Fangraphs is your friend. ;-D

I picked him up, but he's on the bench for now.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates