Dollar Values - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dollar Values

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dollar Values

Postby hitman176 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:44 pm

Does anybody know of a website or sites that have dependable, acurate, dollar amounts for players? I went to USA Today and for some reason they players with negative values.
hitman176
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dollar Values

Postby swarmee » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:39 pm

hitman176 wrote:Does anybody know of a website or sites that have dependable, acurate, dollar amounts for players? I went to USA Today and for some reason they players with negative values.

That's because they're based on stats, the way dollar values should be. Some players who earn negative value shouldn't be drafted, and therefore have negative salaries. So look at the salaries they have listed for the other guys, and try to bid 85% or less of projected earnings when you go to the auction. You'll miss out on the top players, but you'll have a solid overall team, by not having to get 5 $1 players at the end since you bought both A-Rod and Soriano.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby hitman176 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:06 am

I understand that certain players wont be drafted, but, it doesnt make any sense when a Ken Griffey Jr or a Paul LoDuca have neagtive values. Granted these arent top fantasy players, but they will be bid on. That part of it does not make sense.
hitman176
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby swarmee » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:23 am

hitman176 wrote:I understand that certain players wont be drafted, but, it doesnt make any sense when a Ken Griffey Jr or a Paul LoDuca have neagtive values. Granted these arent top fantasy players, but they will be bid on. That part of it does not make sense.

Read the articles here: http://www.baseballnotebook.com/
Especially the "Winning Draft and Auction Fantasy Leagues" and the one about paying 80% of projected value.

The reason that Griffey is not worth a bid in that situation is that people are predicting that whatever you gain in his home runs, you'll lose in his batting average and lack of steals. So if other people spend $10 on him, that's their waste of $10. You now have a better shot at winning the league by realizing that. Just don't bid on guys with projected negative value. Let other people waste their money and you will have a great team at the end of the auction.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers