SF 1B... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SF 1B...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: SF 1B...

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Havok1517 wrote:The smart thing to do would be to move Sandoval to 1B and then call up Guzman/McPherson to play 3B. Obviously, the Ishikawa and Aurilla combo was a dumb one as Ishikawa is nothing more than a pinch hitting bat (despite the dumb love he was getting here) and Aurilla should retire. Sandoval is pretty much the new Dimitri Young that can catch some, which isn't a bad thing, but he's not a full-time 3B nor catcher in a few years. This would allow the Giants to have room for Villalona at 1B when he's ready, move Sandoval to OF (as he'll be pushed aside by Posey and Villa') and then let either McPherson or Guzman play 3B. Though, I think Connor Gillaspie is a MLB regular in the future at 3B as well. It'd be great for Guzman and his 165 lb frame to get his glove good enough at SS but I don't think that'll happen though the throw from 3B is much harder than the throw from SS in most cases imo.

guzman does not have the glove to play 3B in the majors imo. sandoval is the better option there at this point. eventually i'd like to see a sandoval/posey platoon at C where the other plays somewhere in the field as both are definitely capable of it. it eliminates the need for a back up catcher and would likely reduce the risk of injury and fatigue from playing a whole season in a crouch. i'm curious as to why you think sandoval is not a full-time catcher in a few years? he's been pretty good behind the dish and has a cannon for an arm. i can't imagine he'd ever be an OFer and probably shouldnt play anything other than 1B or C.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:09 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:The smart thing to do would be to move Sandoval to 1B and then call up Guzman/McPherson to play 3B. Obviously, the Ishikawa and Aurilla combo was a dumb one as Ishikawa is nothing more than a pinch hitting bat (despite the dumb love he was getting here) and Aurilla should retire. Sandoval is pretty much the new Dimitri Young that can catch some, which isn't a bad thing, but he's not a full-time 3B nor catcher in a few years. This would allow the Giants to have room for Villalona at 1B when he's ready, move Sandoval to OF (as he'll be pushed aside by Posey and Villa') and then let either McPherson or Guzman play 3B. Though, I think Connor Gillaspie is a MLB regular in the future at 3B as well. It'd be great for Guzman and his 165 lb frame to get his glove good enough at SS but I don't think that'll happen though the throw from 3B is much harder than the throw from SS in most cases imo.

guzman does not have the glove to play 3B in the majors imo. sandoval is the better option there at this point. eventually i'd like to see a sandoval/posey platoon at C where the other plays somewhere in the field as both are definitely capable of it. it eliminates the need for a back up catcher and would likely reduce the risk of injury and fatigue from playing a whole season in a crouch. i'm curious as to why you think sandoval is not a full-time catcher in a few years? he's been pretty good behind the dish and has a cannon for an arm. i can't imagine he'd ever be an OFer and probably shouldnt play anything other than 1B or C.

I think he's going to gain too much weight and be too heavy to play catcher in the future. I think that will go for 3B as well in the coming years. He's only 23, listed at 5'11, and already weighing in at 246 lbs. When that happens, his power should increase but his mobility and position eligibility will suffer. Image
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:20 pm

ya he's a big guy, but he's pretty quick and agile for a guy his size. i don't really think he'll get too big to play catcher and his value is definitely highest there.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby B-Chad » Mon May 04, 2009 8:34 pm

I would be thrilled if they went with a split done the line with Posey and Sandoval at C to keep each fresh. As you've said, both are good enough to play in the field and not just behind the dish. I'm excited about the crop of young guys on the way, namely Noonan/Villalona/Posey. I'm not super excited about Gillaspie, since he offers 0 power at the corner, but he could be a serviceable 3B at the big league level. I'd really like to see Guzman refine his fielding and succeed at 1B now, and possibly 3B when Villlalona makes it up. I just don't see Pablo in the OF with Rowand/Lewis/Schierholtz and some decent prospects in the minors (or out of the state in Rafael Rodriguez case). All in all, I'm liking what I'm reading in this thread, and am hoping to see McPherson take the field with the Grizzlies soon.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:10 pm

B-Chad wrote:I would be thrilled if they went with a split done the line with Posey and Sandoval at C to keep each fresh. As you've said, both are good enough to play in the field and not just behind the dish. I'm excited about the crop of young guys on the way, namely Noonan/Villalona/Posey. I'm not super excited about Gillaspie, since he offers 0 power at the corner, but he could be a serviceable 3B at the big league level. I'd really like to see Guzman refine his fielding and succeed at 1B now, and possibly 3B when Villlalona makes it up. I just don't see Pablo in the OF with Rowand/Lewis/Schierholtz and some decent prospects in the minors (or out of the state in Rafael Rodriguez case). All in all, I'm liking what I'm reading in this thread, and am hoping to see McPherson take the field with the Grizzlies soon.

I'm not saying Pablo will play OF this year but that I think he will in the future. BTW Rowand/Winn could be traded this year. Lewis is nothing special and Schierholtz has been shaken up so much that he'll be lucky to find a career as a MLB reserve. So, I think the future OF situation in SF is quite open.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby jcde7ago » Tue May 05, 2009 11:35 am

Havok1517 wrote:
B-Chad wrote:I would be thrilled if they went with a split done the line with Posey and Sandoval at C to keep each fresh. As you've said, both are good enough to play in the field and not just behind the dish. I'm excited about the crop of young guys on the way, namely Noonan/Villalona/Posey. I'm not super excited about Gillaspie, since he offers 0 power at the corner, but he could be a serviceable 3B at the big league level. I'd really like to see Guzman refine his fielding and succeed at 1B now, and possibly 3B when Villlalona makes it up. I just don't see Pablo in the OF with Rowand/Lewis/Schierholtz and some decent prospects in the minors (or out of the state in Rafael Rodriguez case). All in all, I'm liking what I'm reading in this thread, and am hoping to see McPherson take the field with the Grizzlies soon.

I'm not saying Pablo will play OF this year but that I think he will in the future. BTW Rowand/Winn could be traded this year. Lewis is nothing special and Schierholtz has been shaken up so much that he'll be lucky to find a career as a MLB reserve. So, I think the future OF situation in SF is quite open.

Eh, i am not sure if Pablo will end up getting stuck in the OF anytime soon (whether this year or next). He's been above-average thus far at 3rd base though, no question about it, but ultimately he lacks the range to remain at the hot corner...I see him eventually getting put at 1st base and staying there. Although Angel Villalona has transitioned from playing 3rd to 1st, if it came down to it they'd probably stick him at 3rd, as he's more versatile (ahem, much lighter now that he's down to 200 lbs. and conditioning even further) than Pablo. Guzman hopefully settles on a position, maybe 2B, and stays there. That would be an IF of Pablo at 1B, Guzman at 2B and Angel at 3B.

And I do agree that Rowand or Winn will be traded by the deadline this season, but I am betting that it's Winn rather than Rowand that goes. Management is enamored by Fred Lewis, so I don't see him going anywhere for a while...I like Lewis, but he's lost his plate discipline early this season as he's K'd more than 30% of his AB's. His OBP might be good, but it's not going to do us any good if he is going to continue to not be aggressive on the basepaths...he should already know that him being driven in from first base with our lineup is going to be relatively infrequent, but he still only has 1 steal after a month.

I am honestly more concerned about continuing to let Burriss play 2B right now...yeah he steals, but he has absolutely no bat whatsoever. It's almost comical watching his AB's. Let Frandsen play ffs....
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:58 pm

bit of an update, not sure it's worth it's own thread:

Triple-A Fresno 1B Jesus Guzman (Giants) was free for the taking last offseason—the extremely rare minor league free agent who happens to be a prospect. San Francisco snagged him, and they already have reaped the benefits. Guzman, 24, is hitting .355/.374/.587 in the Pacific Coast League, and he hit .515/.515/.727 (17-for-33) this past week, chipping in a double, three triples and 10 RBIs. Brian Sabean has noticed, as the Giants GM reportedly made a trip to see how Guzman is looking defensively at first base. Might a callup be in the works?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2009/268114.html

with how pathetic our offense has been from 1B so far this year (i believe the giants are the only team without a HR from a 1B), i could definitely see jesus getting a call up if his defense is not terrible. could be an interesting guy in deeper leagues as he can definitely rake.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby B-Chad » Fri May 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Jesus Guzman called up for interleague play, as a Giants fan I'm hoping he mashes his way into the lineup even after interleague play.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers