SF 1B... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SF 1B...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SF 1B...

Postby B-Chad » Sun May 03, 2009 7:30 pm

With the Giants pathetic tandem of Travis Ishikawa and Rich Aurilia currently manning 1B, how long before the Giants shake things up? I saw a Dallas McPherson thread on here recently suggesting he could be the answer, but I think they have a better fix sitting in Fresno right now... Jesus Guzman. He raked in the winter leagues, he raked in the spring, and after a slow start, he's pounding the ball in AAA (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=461882). I'm a bit concerned by the BB:K, but that being considered, he's showing good pop, and hitting a respectable .280 on the season, and something like .350 in his last 10. Considering he dominated AA last year, his start in AAA shouldn't come as a complete surprise, so I'm wondering when the Giants will give him a look? I'm a Giants fan myself, but I live in NY, so I don't get a whole lot of Giants talk on the radio, or in the newspaper, so I'm wondering if anyone a little closer to SF has any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: SF 1B...

Postby Maris09 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:50 pm

You always bring up very interesting topics man. Thank you for the posts.
Living in the Bay Area I have seen a ton of Giants games, and they're just not getting professional at bats out of their 1B spot. Aurilia is ok to spot start against lefties I guess, but it's definitely a situation that would seem to have the potential to take the Giants to the next level.

I'm not sure Bowker or McPherson would have the impact to change much, but makes you wonder how different the Giants situation would be if they had gone out and gotten that fairly reasonable Adam Dunn type bat in the offseason.
They've talked about possibly using Schierholtz there, but not sure that's been anything more than a rumor.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun May 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Ishikawa.............pathetic?! <trembles with rage>

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun May 03, 2009 10:20 pm

I farm drafted this guy based on exactly what you said. With Ishikawa struggling I also have been extremely hopeful that he's the answer. Any idea what position he's playing in the minors?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby B-Chad » Mon May 04, 2009 12:03 am

1B with Ryan Rohlinger at 3B.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:48 am

his bat has never been the problem, he's just horrendous with the glove. up until this year he's been a 2B/3B and he just doesn't have the glove to make it there. the giants started giving him some time at 1B in spring training and he worked out with JT snow a bit. i haven't heard much of anything about how he's been doing there in the minors. if he could turn himself into an average 1B, i think theres a chance he could get a shot with the giants. we could definitely use a boost to our offense and the guy can definitely rake.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:55 am

also he went 3 for 5 today and hit his 6th HR, now batting .299

does anyone know where you can find minor league defensive statistics?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm

They should go after Kyle Blanks. San Diego can try converting him but there's no way that guy can be an outfielder, and with Gonzo in his way he's expendable.

Also the baseball cube has defensive stats, but only for previous seasons
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby B-Chad » Mon May 04, 2009 2:37 pm

I wouldn't be completely against going out of the system for a 1B but I don't imagine the Padres would care to deal with a division rival. Also, with Angel Villalona opening up really well in A+ this year and now being a full time 1B, ideally they only need a stop gap for 2-3 years before he is with the big squad. That's why ideally I'd like to see Guzman/McPherson/Ishikawa/Bowker etc pan out in the interim. Their is one guy outside the organization I wouldn't mind seeing the Giants making a small offer for and that's Kila Ka'aihue. He hasn't opened up that well this year in AAA, but clearly the Royals have 0 faith in him given that they went out of their way to acquire Mike Jacobs with Butler already occupying either 1B or DH. If the Giants could get Ka'aihue for either a lesser arm in there system (anyone not named Bumgarner/Alderson/Sosa/Barnes), a middle infield prospect Culberson/Bocock or say Jackson Williams and a throw in, then I'd be thrilled. All that said, if Guzman does a serviceable job fielding his position in AAA (thanks Giantsfan14 for pointing out fielding being the reason he was optioned to AAA to start the season, though I assumed it, it was helpful to have it confirmed, and greatly appreciated), hopefully he'll serve as the answer. Kind of curious why Yahoo! didn't include him in the players forced through as he's much closer to the bigs then some players they have in the database, and he raked in the winter leagues/spring and was considered a candidate to make the Giants opening day roster, oh well.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:07 pm

The smart thing to do would be to move Sandoval to 1B and then call up Guzman/McPherson to play 3B. Obviously, the Ishikawa and Aurilla combo was a dumb one as Ishikawa is nothing more than a pinch hitting bat (despite the dumb love he was getting here) and Aurilla should retire. Sandoval is pretty much the new Dimitri Young that can catch some, which isn't a bad thing, but he's not a full-time 3B nor catcher in a few years. This would allow the Giants to have room for Villalona at 1B when he's ready, move Sandoval to OF (as he'll be pushed aside by Posey and Villa') and then let either McPherson or Guzman play 3B. Though, I think Connor Gillaspie is a MLB regular in the future at 3B as well. It'd be great for Guzman and his 165 lb frame to get his glove good enough at SS but I don't think that'll happen though the throw from 3B is much harder than the throw from SS in most cases imo.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers