Gamel callup as soon as 5/22 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Gamel callup as soon as 5/22

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gamel callup as soon as 5/22

Postby Steve-o » Sun May 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Just read this:

"Mat Gamel is hitting over .370 and has five homers off left-handed pitchers with Milwaukee's Triple-A Louisville [sic] club. Bill Hall is hitting over .300, so Gamel may have to wait, although Doug Melvin is thinking of bring Gamel up when the Brewers begin playing American League teams later this month and allowing him to DH."

The Brewers have their first interleague series May 22 versus the Twins. It's a three game series and their next interleague games are June 12 though the 25.

Gamel is at .385/.474/.756 with 7 homeruns, 20 Ks, and 15 bbs.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gamel callup as soon as 5/22

Postby Diamond Miners » Sun May 03, 2009 10:18 pm

Steve-o wrote:Gamel is at .385/.474/.756 with 7 homeruns, 20 Ks, and 15 bbs.

And the nice thing to see is, of his 30 hits, 15 of them have been for extra bases (8 doubles, 7 hr). I'm still not convinced his defense will keep him in the INF.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JohnTucker0814 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Doesn't have to... the Brewers have been trying to unload Cameron for a while... shift Hart to CF and Gamel and Braun control LF and RF... Brewers could be good for a while, they've also got Escobar for SS, maybe they look at moving Hardy to 3B, because Hall is not a long term solution there.

Fielder, Weeks, Escobar, Hardy, Bruan, Hart, Gamel... pretty darn good offense!
JohnTucker0814
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Steve-o » Mon May 04, 2009 6:18 pm

JohnTucker0814 wrote:Doesn't have to... the Brewers have been trying to unload Cameron for a while... shift Hart to CF and Gamel and Braun control LF and RF...

While the summer rumors of Cameron to the Yankees were persistent, I don't think a deal involving Cameron gets done unless the Brewers really fall out of contention. Besides him being a gold glove caliber defender, it's my understanding that he is one of the clubhouse leaders on the team. I am pretty sure I remember reading that a number of the core group would be upset if Cameron was traded.

JohnTucker0814 wrote:Brewers could be good for a while, they've also got Escobar for SS, maybe they look at moving Hardy to 3B, because Hall is not a long term solution there.

Hardy is on record saying he does not want to move positions. It's my belief he would demand a trade if the Brewers tried to move him. While he is not the defender Escobar is, the bat plays. Looking over the last couple of years, Hardy has been a top 5 SS in the NL (maybe even MLB) and would be a strong asset for any team looking to add a SS.

JohnTucker0814 wrote:Fielder, Weeks, Escobar, Hardy, Bruan, Hart, Gamel... pretty darn good offense!

Yeah, and a league worst defense. Fielder, Weeks and Braun are all below average, Hardy and Hart would be playing out of position, and Gamel is complete unknown in the OF.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Diamond Miners » Mon May 04, 2009 8:37 pm

The best thing about Steve-O's post....his Brewers avatar. :-D Oh and his good points
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Steve-o » Mon May 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Diamond Miners wrote:The best thing about Steve-O's post....his Brewers avatar. :-D Oh and his good points

I guess I am kind of a glass half empty type of fan.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Diamond Miners » Mon May 04, 2009 10:45 pm

Steve-o wrote:
Diamond Miners wrote:The best thing about Steve-O's post....his Brewers avatar. :-D Oh and his good points

I guess I am kind of a glass half empty type of fan.

nah, you just know your stuff and do not over value your teams minor leaguers like most people do. I'm not sure what's worse...fantasy minor league owners or real life fans of their teams minor leaguers.

good calls though.
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fbc_fan » Tue May 05, 2009 1:41 pm

Steve-o wrote:While the summer rumors of Cameron to the Yankees were persistent, I don't think a deal involving Cameron gets done unless the Brewers really fall out of contention. Besides him being a gold glove caliber defender, it's my understanding that he is one of the clubhouse leaders on the team. I am pretty sure I remember reading that a number of the core group would be upset if Cameron was traded.

i also remember hearing on a telecast that he was a pretty big part of the reason that hoffman came to the brewers.

either way, what do you guys think the odds are that he comes up and DHs then goes right back down?
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JoshExley » Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 pm

fbc_fan wrote:
Steve-o wrote:While the summer rumors of Cameron to the Yankees were persistent, I don't think a deal involving Cameron gets done unless the Brewers really fall out of contention. Besides him being a gold glove caliber defender, it's my understanding that he is one of the clubhouse leaders on the team. I am pretty sure I remember reading that a number of the core group would be upset if Cameron was traded.

i also remember hearing on a telecast that he was a pretty big part of the reason that hoffman came to the brewers.

either way, what do you guys think the odds are that he comes up and DHs then goes right back down?

They better not Brandon Wood him!
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed May 06, 2009 3:29 am

who loses PT if he sticks? bill hall? hall has been decent though.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball