DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jake Fox

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Jake Fox, 1B CHC
News: The Chicago Cubs recalled infielder Jake Fox and selected the contracts of infielder Andres Blanco and left-handed pitcher Jason Waddell from Triple-A Iowa. The Cubs optioned left-handed pitcher Neal Cotts and infielder Bobby Scales to Triple-A Iowa. Additionally, the club placed infielder Aaron Miles on the 15-day DL, retroactive to May 26, with a right shoulder strain.

Analysis: Fox, 26, is leading all minor league players this year in the Triple Crown categories with a .423 batting average (63-for-149), 17 home runs and 50 RBI in 40 games for Triple-A Iowa. The right-handed batter also has 40 runs, 14 doubles, two triples, a .503 on-base percentage, a .886 slugging percentage and a 1.389 OPS this season. He has seen action at first base, third base, left field, right field, catcher and DH this season. He is entering his prime and on a serious hot streak, so the Cubs will try to find at-bats for him. Consider this potential strong-man in deeper formats, mostly NL-only leagues, especially if he gets at-bats and hits right away.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dssguy99 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:49 pm

RBI 2B 1st AB! Its FOX TIME!
dssguy99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 18 and 1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:44 am

It doesn't look like he's going to get much playing time. The Cubs aren't ready to hand over 3b to him. They need to either trade him to an AL team to DH or trade Lee.

Also, an Interesting article after spring training

Jake Fox Kind of Hates the Cubs
March 26, 2009 by Ace · 7 Comments
Filed under: Analysis and Commentary, Chicago Cubs News
Fresh on the heels of yet another scorching Spring Training performance, only to be met with yet another year not making the big league club, Jake Fox was bound to be a little bummed out.

Well, given that guys will never overtly say they’re pissed, I think we can tell that Jake Fox is pretty angry with the Cubs.

“Everybody’s been on me about the defense,” Fox said before getting sent out. “I’ve got time to work on that. Here’s the way I feel about it: I know I can play at this level. I know I’m a big-league baseball player. At this point, it’s about finding a good fit for me - where I can fit in, where I can play.

“If the Cubs don’t feel like I fit into their plan, maybe another team down the road I can fit in for them. It’s just a matter of finding a place to play. Right now, that’s why I’ve been working so hard trying to learn other positions.” Daily Herald.

The message is clear: either let me play, or trade me. Oh, and I’m kind of pissed about it.

“I don’t know what’s going on because I know there are some teams that have been trying to get me at some point,” Fox said. “Maybe they’re not making a good enough offer. I can’t worry about that. If they (the Cubs) don’t feel I can fit for them, hopefully Jim has enough courtesy to move me on to somebody that can use me.”

Fox, of course, goes on to profess his love for the Cubs, but his feelings are obviously hurt. And he wants his shot.

“At times, it’s been frustrating just because you know you can play at this level,” he said. “It just feels like you’ve been biding your time waiting for an opportunity. Unfortunately, this team has a lot of pressure on it to win, and they don’t have a lot of room for error.

“That’s why they don’t take the risk on young guys a lot of time. It’s nothing against the young guys. It’s not anything against the old guys. It’s just the way it is. You’ve got to understand that and know that it’s going to take a little bit longer here to break in than it would in other places. I don’t have a problem with that.”

Once again, Fox is saying it without saying it: play me, or trade me. And make it snappy.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PinstripePride » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:59 am

from yahoo

Wed, Jun 10

Fox was optioned to Triple-A Iowa on Wednesday as Chicago activated Aaron Miles off the 15-day disabled list.

Advice: It's a curious move from the Cubs as the struggling Miles is batting .204 in 37 games, while Fox hit .417 in eight games since being recalled May 27. Fox also led all minor leaguers with a .424 average when he was recalled. He has 17 home runs, 51 RBIs, 33 extra-base hits and an .881 slugging percentage in 41 games with Iowa.

(STATS, Inc.)
PinstripePride
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 18 and 1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:45 pm

PinstripePride wrote:from yahoo

Wed, Jun 10

Fox was optioned to Triple-A Iowa on Wednesday as Chicago activated Aaron Miles off the 15-day disabled list.

Advice: It's a curious move from the Cubs as the struggling Miles is batting .204 in 37 games, while Fox hit .417 in eight games since being recalled May 27. Fox also led all minor leaguers with a .424 average when he was recalled. He has 17 home runs, 51 RBIs, 33 extra-base hits and an .881 slugging percentage in 41 games with Iowa.

(STATS, Inc.)

Explains why the Cubs haven't won a WS in a hundred years.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Montana168 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:00 pm

im pretty surprised the cubs won't play fox because of his horrible defense. i know a good defense can pay dividends for your pitchers but the cubs could use a power bat in the middle of their lineup and fox could easily slide into the 5 or 6 hole. look at mark reynolds in arizona. yeah his defense at 3rd base is horrible but their moving him around and he helps them tremendously in the power department that its worth more to have his bat in the lineup than it is if he misses a ground here and there.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby s221506 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Starting for the Cubs today (6/19) @ 3rd Base
s221506
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tigers1223 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:40 pm

and then not starting again today. This has to be the worst management of young talent I have ever seen. It is not like the guy only hit in AAA. He has actually hit the ball really well in his limited at bats. You have to give the guy a chance. Is he that much of a defensive liability? The cubs offense is pretty terrible right now. I think I would give him the chance. Bad defense or not
Tigers1223
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball