NC City Creates Cheap ISP; Time Warner Sues to Ban - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NC City Creates Cheap ISP; Time Warner Sues to Ban

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

NC City Creates Cheap ISP; Time Warner Sues to Ban

Postby JTWood » Sat May 02, 2009 12:01 pm

Consumerist wrote:Time Warner Cable Cannot Possibly Compete With The Small City Of Wilson, NC

The city of Wilson, NC was tired of high internet, cable, and telephone prices, so they decided to do something about it. They started their own, city-owned, ISP. Now Time Warner Cable and Embarq have teamed up to convince North Carolina's legislature to propose bills outlawing community owned ISPs because the big guys cannot possibly compete.

We can see why they are worried. Wilson's ISP sounds great. It's an all fiber optic network that has 81 basic cable channels, 10 Mbps (download and upload), and a digital phone plan with unlimited long distance to the U.S. and Canada, all for $99.95, says Daily Tech. A comparable TWC package would cost $137.95, for an introductory rate.

Now Wilson's ISP, which calls itself "Greenlight" has started a blog to protest the legislation. Here's an excerpt:

My name is Brian Bowman. I'm the Public Affairs Manager for the City of Wilson, NC, and I'll bet my broadband is faster than yours.

I have a 10Mbps up/down connection at my house. Can't get half that from the cable company. I buy it directly from the City of Wilson. After less than a year of residential service, almost 3,000 Wilson citizens are subscribing to Wilson's fiber optic network. Local businesses can get up to one Gbps. Local homes get up to 100 Mbps. We call it Greenlight.

NC Senate Bill 1004 and House Bill 1252 would change the law to stop cities from providing broadband. The bills say they "Level the Playing Field" but they are designed to protect cable monopolies in our state. The cable company told me Wilson would be exempt, but it's still wrong for NC.

I actually have mixed emotions on this one. On one hand, I'd like to believe that the government of this city did this without actually utilizing any of their governmental powers to keep cost down. If that's the case, and they're running a true business, then I say good for them. I just have strong reservations about any scenario where a government entity has reason to step in and control a business that's competing with businesses that lack governmental authority.

Of course, I'm also disgusted by Time Warner here, trying to stifle competition via legislation.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NC City Creates Cheap ISP; Time Warner Sues to Ban

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat May 02, 2009 12:14 pm

poor Big Cable

as far as i know city governments handle things like water bills, i know some city's even have their own gas and electric they offer as an alernative...to me Cable/Internet is just another utility and doesnt deserve any special treatment
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 02, 2009 12:22 pm

This is where I live unfortunately I am outside of the city limits.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat May 02, 2009 11:43 pm

i like the concept but what happens when they force companies out of business and then jack up the prices and theres no competition or even worse, make a law where there cant be any competition?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ayebatter » Sun May 03, 2009 1:36 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i like the concept but what happens when they force companies out of business and then jack up the prices and theres no competition or even worse, make a law where there cant be any competition?

Viva la Revolution :-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1275)

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon May 04, 2009 11:18 am

I currently live in NC so our local paper has touched on this as well. It sounds like there is a sense of unfair play as private business has to pay taxes and fees while a local govt provider of course would not have any of that.

http://epaper.gastongazette.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VEdHLzIwMDkvMDUvMDQjQXIwMDQwMg%3D%3D&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom

Being short-sighted, I'm for whatever gets me cheaper stuff NOW :-B
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Return to General Talk