Cantu...the rising star? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cantu...the rising star?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cantu...the rising star?

Postby Auronx62 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:48 pm

Does anyone here think Cantu is going to have a monster year? or am I just taking this too far? He's quickly rising up the yahoo charts and man O man.... he's tearing it up the last 3 games! and basically wrecking it the first 21 games. if he wasn't hit in the wrist.... he'd be even crazier maybe. What is your take on him?
Auronx62
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cantu...the rising star?

Postby Rhydderch » Fri May 01, 2009 12:55 am

His strike outs are down and his walks are up. And he's just 27, so I'm pretty high on him too.
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Auronx62 wrote:Does anyone here think Cantu is going to have a monster year? or am I just taking this too far? He's quickly rising up the yahoo charts and man O man.... he's tearing it up the last 3 games! and basically wrecking it the first 21 games. if he wasn't hit in the wrist.... he'd be even crazier maybe. What is your take on him?

1 month into the season... Adam Dunn's walks are up and Ks are down also, but does that mean hes gonna continue to hit .300+ most likely not... Cantu could very well have a great season but i wouldn't start the talks of a monster year just yet... i most certainly don't see him carrying a .365 average nor the 1.222 OPS, not to mention that 4 of his 7 HR and 10 of his 22 RBI have come in 3 out 17 games this year... could i see around 25-30 HR and 90-95 RBI with a .285-.290 average sure, but if your thinking much more then that i think you may want to rethink that decision...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Vlad » Fri May 01, 2009 4:32 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
Auronx62 wrote:Does anyone here think Cantu is going to have a monster year? or am I just taking this too far? He's quickly rising up the yahoo charts and man O man.... he's tearing it up the last 3 games! and basically wrecking it the first 21 games. if he wasn't hit in the wrist.... he'd be even crazier maybe. What is your take on him?

1 month into the season... Adam Dunn's walks are up and Ks are down also, but does that mean hes gonna continue to hit .300+ most likely not... Cantu could very well have a great season but i wouldn't start the talks of a monster year just yet... i most certainly don't see him carrying a .365 average nor the 1.222 OPS, not to mention that 4 of his 7 HR and 10 of his 22 RBI have come in 3 out 17 games this year... could i see around 25-30 HR and 90-95 RBI with a .285-.290 average sure, but if your thinking much more then that i think you may want to rethink that decision...

monster maybe not,but i'm pretty sure ill be very happy with these numbers from a player taken out of the top 125
Vlad
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AdvRider » Fri May 01, 2009 6:56 pm

Cantu has been solid before, like 2005 with Tampa Bay:

598 AB 73 R 28 HR 117 RBI .286

If Cantu's healthy, he can be great. Monster? Hmmm, at age 27, this would be the time ... ;-D Glad I drafted him on two teams!
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby cwrtlm » Sat May 02, 2009 9:09 am

Sure am glad I traded F. Lopez for him after Lopez's 2 HR opening day! ;-D When AROD gets back Cantu can slide nicely into my U spot with AROD at 3B.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Larsjam » Sat May 02, 2009 10:48 am

Yeah, he has been amazing so far. I am glad I drafted him for my CI spot in the 17th round lol
C: S Perez
1B: Gonzo
2B: Cano
3B: Aramis
SS: Hanley
CI: Goldschmidt
MI: Craig
OF: McCutch Rios DeAza BJ
Util: Morales
BN: Harper Davis Machado
SP: Stras Gallardo Shields Moore Fister Buchholz Billingsly
RP: Hanrahan Perez Holland

DL: Ortiz Griffin Bailey
Larsjam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Salty-Dog » Sun May 03, 2009 4:38 pm

i feel like a genius fro drafting him and adam jones in the late rounds...i drafted jones with my 20th round pick actually... ;-D
Salty-Dog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Sun May 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Salty-Dog wrote:i feel like a genius fro drafting him and adam jones in the late rounds...i drafted jones with my 20th round pick actually... ;-D

I feel like a genius since one of my more vocal offseason rantings (there were others) regarding 3B rankings was that Cantu = Huff = Atkins despite Cantu being drafted 5-8 rds lower than Atkins. Even though the other two are off to slower starts I still expect them to end up with similar numbers. You win some of those and you lose some of those.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 160)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates