Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out?

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:42 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:1. Masterson was not in the Sox' 2009 rotation plans. He hasn't pitched any better than he was expected to. So it is very unlikely that removing Masterson is going to be an issue.

2. If Smoltz can start, he will start. Smoltz coming back is not going to be a problem, no matter how well any of the SPs are doing at the time.

3. The Sox almost certainly have it in their minds that Wake might eventually move to the pen. It isn't like they necessarily want that to happen, but it will not be a major issue to move him to the pen later in the season if that makes sense for the team.

4. Moving Penny out of the rotation is likely to happen at some point in the season. I'm not so sure he finds another role with the team though, so they probably won't move him out of his spot until they have at least a potentially permanent replacement for him. That would be Smoltz or Buchholz, not Masterson, who will definitely be moving back to the pen at some point unless the Sox are ravaged with injuries. They MIGHT keep Masterson in his spot starting role for now, but if they do that, there is a good chance they will be completely washing their hands of Penny. That isn't the kind of move the Sox usually makes.

No offense, but I wouldn't say this shows any more knowledge of the situation than anything anyone else has said.
  • Up until opening day, there was speculation about Masterson's role, so to say he was not in the 2009 rotation plans isn't really accurate.
  • I also strongly disagree that the Sox "almost certainly" want to move Wake to the pen this year - I'd say just the opposite.
  • I would guess that they will give Penny a few more starts, stall Dice-K's return to give Masterson 2-3 more starts, then make the call then to move Penny out of the rotation is Masterson is still dealing.
  • I don't think Buchholz sees the rotation at all this year unless another starter gets hurt, creating a clear opening.
  • I also would bet that Bowden gets called up to replace Masterson in the pen if Masterson does win a rotation spot.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:53 pm

There's no way Wakefield goes to the bullpen if he keeps pitching the way he is, obviously
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:57 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:I also strongly disagree that the Sox "almost certainly" want to move Wake to the pen this year - I'd say just the opposite.

Talk about a strawman. I never said that. I specifically said that they do not want to move him out of the rotation, but that they almost certainly have considered the possibility of eventually having to move him to the pen this year. I'm pretty sure that is not the case for Beckett, Dice-K and Lester. Seems like you think he is absolutely won't go to the pen, or if he does, it will be a huge shock. I totally disagree with that view.

I would guess that they will give Penny a few more starts, stall Dice-K's return to give Masterson 2-3 more starts, then make the call then to move Penny out of the rotation is Masterson is still dealing.

It is possible they hold off on bring Dice-K back I suppose. But I feel strongly that it would be to give Penny a chance to straighten himself out, not to give Masterson a chance to prove what everyone already knows about him.

I don't think Buchholz sees the rotation at all this year unless another starter gets hurt, creating a clear opening.

Well, I sort of agree with this. I just (probably) disagree about what defines a clear opening. IF the Sox decide they don't want to continue starting Penny, and Smoltz isn't close to being ready to come back, then there is a CLEAR opening to me. Masterson isn't blocking anything. He is pitching in the rotation because he has to, not because that is what the Sox want.

*Also I wasn't saying that NO ONE has a clue what they are talking about. Pointing out a few, like the ones that say Smoltz coming back is going to cause a difficult situation, or the ones that say Wake is a 100% lock to stay in the rotation. I definitely don't know it all, but I know those 2 things for sure.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:59 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:There's no way Wakefield goes to the bullpen if he keeps pitching the way he is, obviously

Yeah, if Wake pitches like this, he'll keep his spot. But it won't take too much of a slip, along with someone knocking at the door, to make the move. Again, the Sox won't want to do it, but it could happen.
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

You are really short selling Masterson. Have you seen him pitch this year? He looks pretty dominant. As a Yankee fan, he scares me more than anyone else on the Sox other than Beckett.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:01 pm

yeah i'm a sox fan. i know how he looks out there.
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:44 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:yeah i'm a sox fan. i know how he looks out there.

But being a Sox fan, at least those of us with avs and sigs, doesn't necessarily make us in the know, as you were so quick to point out.

And for the record, the tricky part I was speaking of about Smoltz's return isn't his spot in the rotation, it's the bullpen shake-up that follows. If you can tell me how that works itself out then you'll be the know-it-all you're coming off to be.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:18 pm

i don't see the bullpen situation being that tricky. i'm assuming they want masterson in the bullpen, if they don't absolutely need him to start, so that part is pretty settled. then the only question is if they move Wake to the pen, which wouldn't be a huge deal, or if they decide to move Penny to the pen or do something else with him (DL him, trade him, cut him?). If Clay is in the rotation at that time, they'll either continue starting him, move Wake to the pen, and do whatever they're already planning on doing with Penny eventually, or they'll just move Clay down again.

i don't know what is going to happen. i can't predict injuries and what-not, and while i truly think the sox are almost counting on penny losing his spot in the rotation as some point later in the season, i have no idea what they plan on doing with him at that point.
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:11 am

I've also heard rumors about them getting rid of Javier Lopez, and tonights game definitly didn't help his case.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby zhutou » Fri May 01, 2009 3:26 am

MasterX1918 wrote:I've also heard rumors about them getting rid of Javier Lopez, and tonights game definitly didn't help his case.

lol he's the worst pitcher i've ever seen, except for maybe brad penny. basically if he's in the game you know tito's waving the white flag.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers