Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out?

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:13 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:
nsulham wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:Lots of Red Sox avatars without much knowledge of the situation. They don't operate like noob fantasy owners.

I don't get where you're coming from. Those of us who have Red Sox avs follow the team so we know what we know from what we follow. What else can we do to know what the front office is going to do besides actually BE a member of the front office?

If you know exactly what's going to happen then please, enlighten us.

i'm saying it doesn't seem like you guys are even familiar with the situation.

How is that? I'm betting the Sox front office don't even know exactly what to do with this situation at the moment because so much depends on injuries and performance. This is pretty typical when you have a lot of options.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:20 pm

1. Masterson was not in the Sox' 2009 rotation plans. He hasn't pitched any better than he was expected to. So it is very unlikely that removing Masterson is going to be an issue.

2. If Smoltz can start, he will start. Smoltz coming back is not going to be a problem, no matter how well any of the SPs are doing at the time.

3. The Sox almost certainly have it in their minds that Wake might eventually move to the pen. It isn't like they necessarily want that to happen, but it will not be a major issue to move him to the pen later in the season if that makes sense for the team.

4. Moving Penny out of the rotation is likely to happen at some point in the season. I'm not so sure he finds another role with the team though, so they probably won't move him out of his spot until they have at least a potentially permanent replacement for him. That would be Smoltz or Buchholz, not Masterson, who will definitely be moving back to the pen at some point unless the Sox are ravaged with injuries. They MIGHT keep Masterson in his spot starting role for now, but if they do that, there is a good chance they will be completely washing their hands of Penny. That isn't the kind of move the Sox usually makes.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:39 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:1. Masterson was not in the Sox' 2009 rotation plans. He hasn't pitched any better than he was expected to. So it is very unlikely that removing Masterson is going to be an issue.

A lot of pitchers are not in the plans but there are some that force the hands of the management. This happens fairly often.

Masterson hasn't pitched any better than he was expected to? Are you sure about that? He gave up 1 ER in both of his starts against BAL and NYY. I'd say that is a lot better than anyone expected regardless of the sample size.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:43 pm

Yoda wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:1. Masterson was not in the Sox' 2009 rotation plans. He hasn't pitched any better than he was expected to. So it is very unlikely that removing Masterson is going to be an issue.

A lot of pitchers are not in the plans but there are some that force the hands of the management. This happens fairly often.

Masterson hasn't pitched any better than he was expected to? Are you sure about that? He gave up 1 ER in both of his starts against BAL and NYY. I'd say that is a lot better than anyone expected regardless of the sample size.

No, I think the Sox had that kind of faith in him. And I'm not saying it is impossible for him to stay in the rotation. Just that he is far down on the list of Red Sox rotation depth chart, and even another nice month won't change that.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sarthaz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:29 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:2. If Smoltz can start, he will start. Smoltz coming back is not going to be a problem, no matter how well any of the SPs are doing at the time.

Agreed. Smoltz is there for one reason: the playoffs. Even with Beckett's implosion last year, these are two of the top postseason pitchers alive, and they have to be salivating at the possibility that both of them can perform in October. So when Smoltz is ready to pitch, he's going right into the rotation so he can get some innings under his belt. They'll treat him with caution, and he may miss a start or two, but whoever isn't getting the job done at that time is gone when Smoltzie's ready.
sarthaz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Beckett, Lester, and Dice-K are all locks as starters (assuming healthy).
Smoltz - has a starting spot waiting for him

So that leaves:

Masterson - could be moved to pen, and I believe still has 2 minor league options left
Penny - could be moved to pen, or put on DL, or released
Wakefield - could be moved to the pen
Buchholz - could start or work from pen, if called up

My guess is that the front office planned on combining Penny and Smoltz to fill one SP slot. When Smoltz gets the call, I think Penny will disappear, unless he really turns things around.
And there is always the option of trading one or two of these guys. I predict an August rotation of Beckett, Lester, Dice-K, Smoltz, and Wake.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby B-Chad » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm not sure what to think, but to look beyond Dice-K returning to the rotation I think is a bit premature. Sure, it's nice to be ahead of the curve, and it is likely Smoltz will be in the rotation when he's completely healthy, but he's not activated, and a setback could always rear its ugly head. It's also important to remember that Dice-K is returning from an injury, and he could re-aggravate it. Lester had that huge innings spike last year, and isn't pitching like the same guy this year, so who knows, maybe an injury crops up. Beckett has never ever been a model of good health, and he always remains a possibility to miss some time. Penny is also oft injured (and trash). There are a lot of questions and potential questions that could arise between now and Smoltz projected date back. In the short term when Dice-K returns I expect the sox rotation looks like: Beckett/Lester/Dice-K/Wakefield/Penny. I think Penny will be looking at about a 1-2 start leash, and if he doesn't show something, that spot will go to Masterson. I do think the Sox ideal situation is that Penny is able to hold the job until Smoltz comes back, and then Penny disappears. If Buchholz pitches well in AAA, I think there is a very likely possibility that the Red Sox use him/Bowden and Masterson to spell Smoltz as well as possibly Lester (to limit his innings to some degree given last year's huge spike). All hypothesizing on my part, but with so many useful arms, I think it would be foolish if the Sox didn't try to limit some of their starters innings pitched so that they can be fresh during the postseason. Also, a promotion for Buchholz to long relief/swing starter would allow him to get some Major League seasoning while keeping his IP in check.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:30 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:
Yoda wrote:

No, I think the Sox had that kind of faith in him. And I'm not saying it is impossible for him to stay in the rotation. Just that he is far down on the list of Red Sox rotation depth chart, and even another nice month won't change that.

I don't think he is that far down the chart. He has great stuff (much improved this year) and pitched well in every role. He is much better than Penny as we all know and probably even better than DiceK.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:57 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:Lots of Red Sox avatars without much knowledge of the situation. They don't operate like noob fantasy owners.

:-?
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby zhutou » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:38 pm

beckett
lester
dicek
smoltz
wakefield

that'll be the rotation once smoltz comes back, barring any injuries. i guarantee it.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers