Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out?

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:39 am

kab21 wrote:
Yoda wrote:My prediction is that Masterson stays in the rotation.

How does this even remotely make sense? Trying to play your best players is a concept only useful in fantasy baseball and there is little if any application to real-life. Seriously. :-D

There is a lot of talk that Masterson will go back to being the swing man because he is so good at every role they put him in but I think he has shown enough as a starter to remain in the rotation.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:50 am

Yoda wrote:
There is a lot of talk that Masterson will go back to being the swing man because he is so good at every role they put him in but I think he has shown enough as a starter to remain in the rotation.

That would make sense if somebody good/decent was going to be used in his place (like possibly Smoltz (unknown what his skill level would be) or Buchholz. Maybe Penny has just been unlucky but his 1:2 K:BB ratio is horrendous along with every other SSS statistic.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby nsulham » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:02 am

I think for today the solution seems pretty simple. Once Daisuke comes off the DL, he takes his spot back, Masterson takes Penny's spot and Penny slides to the bullpen. They don't need two lefties with Hunter Jones and Lopez but Lopez is junk so Penny can have his spot.

The tricky part is going to be when Smoltz comes back because he's going to start. He didn't sign to relieve.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 am

nsulham wrote:I think for today the solution seems pretty simple. Once Daisuke comes off the DL, he takes his spot back, Masterson takes Penny's spot and Penny slides to the bullpen. They don't need two lefties with Hunter Jones and Lopez but Lopez is junk so Penny can have his spot.

The tricky part is going to be when Smoltz comes back because he's going to start. He didn't sign to relieve.

This makes the most sense.

Who knows what the rotation looks like when Smoltz comes back? Injuries, blow ups, anything can happen. Masterson right now is probably just as good as DiceK and Lester.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:40 am

Lots of Red Sox avatars without much knowledge of the situation. They don't operate like noob fantasy owners.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:45 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:Lots of Red Sox avatars without much knowledge of the situation. They don't operate like noob fantasy owners.

I don't get where you're coming from. Those of us who have Red Sox avs follow the team so we know what we know from what we follow. What else can we do to know what the front office is going to do besides actually BE a member of the front office?

If you know exactly what's going to happen then please, enlighten us.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:56 am

Masterson has pitched well and Penny hasn't, however they will give Penny a few more starts before shipping him to the bullpen/DL (DL with a mystery is more likely imo, see Colon last summer). Idk what Theo promised Penny to get him to sign with the Red Sox, but am going to guess it involved a fair shot a rotation spot.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 pm

thedude wrote:Masterson has pitched well and Penny hasn't, however they will give Penny a few more starts before shipping him to the bullpen/DL (DL with a mystery is more likely imo, see Colon last summer). Idk what Theo promised Penny to get him to sign with the Red Sox, but am going to guess it involved a fair shot a rotation spot.

I think his contract rewards him for number of appearances as a reliever also. I personally don't think that his leash is long.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:50 pm

nsulham wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:Lots of Red Sox avatars without much knowledge of the situation. They don't operate like noob fantasy owners.

I don't get where you're coming from. Those of us who have Red Sox avs follow the team so we know what we know from what we follow. What else can we do to know what the front office is going to do besides actually BE a member of the front office?

i'm saying it doesn't seem like you guys are even familiar with the situation.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:01 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:
nsulham wrote:

i'm saying it doesn't seem like you guys are even familiar with the situation.

You seem to be the one talking in generalities, not really saying anything. Could you please actually state an opinion, pointing out what is incorrect?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers