Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out?

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:43 am

With the news coming out recently that Dice-K is getting closer to a return:

Daisuke Matsuzaka (shoulder) threw a 47-pitch bullpen session on Wednesday.

His upcoming schedule is still being determined, but it appears that he'll throw another bullpen on Saturday, after which he should be ready for a rehab assignment. Manager Terry Francona believes that Dice-K might need more than one rehab start, but indications are that the right-hander believes that multiple rehab starts won't be necessary.

Source: Boston Globe

Who will lose their spot in the rotation? I'm sure we all agree it's between Penny & Masterson right? And what happens when/if Smoltz comes back in a month or so?

Anyone have any takes on the Red Sox rotation?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Red Sox rotation..who's in? who's out?

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 am

well, masterson was just supposed to start because of injuries. i think they stick with the plan. penny doesn't look great, but they'll give him a little more time i think. eventually smoltz will be back, and he'll bump someone out (likely penny). and buchholz is still more likely to get the bulk of starts if someone gets a long term injury or fails completely.

Dice-K, Beckett, and Lester have huge leashes. Unless they get hurt, they will be in the rotation. smoltz if healthy enough to start is GUARANTEED a spot. That's 4, and we haven't mentioned Wakefield who is off to a nice start. Wake isn't an absolute lock to stay in the rotation, but he is a pretty good bet to. The only reason he would lose his job would be if he struggled badly for about 8 straight starts, or if Buchholz somehow got a shot in the meantime and really excelled. Maybe if Penny really gets it going, and Smoltz and everyone else is healty, they'd consider moving Wake to the pen where he's been successful before.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:00 am

Masterson will probably go back to the bullpen, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck Brad Penny on the DL with some sort of injury
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:13 am

MasterX1918 wrote:Masterson will probably go back to the bullpen, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck Brad Penny on the DL with some sort of injury

They might do that, but if they do, I think it will be to open up a semi-permanent rotation spot for Buchholz. I don't think they cut off Penny this early so Masterson can stay in the rotation. Unless Penny is actually hurt.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 am

This team is too good and has FAR too many options for that spot if this is how Penny's going to pitch. Between Masterson (once Daisuke comes back), Buchholz, Smoltz and you even have to consider Bowden, Penny is on the shortest of leashes. Ideally I'd love to see Smoltz come back and fill that spot in the rotation, shifting Masterson and Penny to the pen. I think Penny would do alright for an inning in a hard-throwing righty role.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am

Curious what would've happened if Buchholz didn't tweak his hammy at the same time Dice-K went to the DL. My guess is that he was ahead of Masterson at the point for that rotation spot. I think another bad start for Penny will push him out or the DL, and Buchholz will be called up. Smoltz is being pushed back a week so a return in early June appears to be the case, and Dice-K still needs a couple of rehab starts.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:well, masterson was just supposed to start because of injuries. i think they stick with the plan. penny doesn't look great, but they'll give him a little more time i think. eventually smoltz will be back, and he'll bump someone out (likely penny). and buchholz is still more likely to get the bulk of starts if someone gets a long term injury or fails completely.

Dice-K, Beckett, and Lester have huge leashes. Unless they get hurt, they will be in the rotation. smoltz if healthy enough to start is GUARANTEED a spot. That's 4, and we haven't mentioned Wakefield who is off to a nice start. Wake isn't an absolute lock to stay in the rotation, but he is a pretty good bet to. The only reason he would lose his job would be if he struggled badly for about 8 straight starts, or if Buchholz somehow got a shot in the meantime and really excelled. Maybe if Penny really gets it going, and Smoltz and everyone else is healty, they'd consider moving Wake to the pen where he's been successful before.

I don't think Wake is going anywhere. He's essentially been their best starter so far. He's streaky and will have bad stretches where he makes me cringe, but he's in the rotation unless he gets hurt.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:31 am

My prediction is that Masterson stays in the rotation.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 am

Yoda wrote:My prediction is that Masterson stays in the rotation.

And I would agree. Penny has looked like garbage. They're not going to rush Bowden into a full starting spot right now and I don't know that they want to bring Clay back up yet. Masterson has done well and should be given the opportunity.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:27 am

Yoda wrote:My prediction is that Masterson stays in the rotation.

How does this even remotely make sense? Trying to play your best players is a concept only useful in fantasy baseball and there is little if any application to real-life. Seriously. :-D
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers