Shaking things up...what do you think? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Shaking things up...what do you think? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shaking things up...what do you think? WHIR

Postby hambone1818 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:27 am

So my team has gotten off to an abysmal start this season--partly because I've played the three best statistical teams in the league thus far, partly because I have E. Santana on the DL, Hamels and Lester pitching like crap, and a bunch of offensive guys getting off to slow starts.

With that said I'm looking to make a move and I think this might be a quality trade for my squad. This is a 10 team, H-2-H, 5x5, keeper league (7 keepers):

MY Lester and Sherrill
for
HIS Harang and Rivera

I think Lester's 2008 was a bit of an abberation: he's a damn fine pitcher but not the 'ace' he looked like last season. I think Harang rebounds to his 2005-2007 form, last year was just a blip. So I think they're somewhat of a wash, with a slight nod to Lester because he should be in line for more wins. Mo is clearly the better reliever and will receive many more save opportunities. I also don't like the situation in Baltimore, he could lose his job with a few bad outings in a row.

Here's the rest of my pitching staff. And remember, Santana should be back in the next few weeks:

SP Hamels
SP Lester
RP Soria
RP Sherrill
P J. Johnson
P Danks
P Wainwright
BEN Cueto
DL E. Santana

(NOTE: Very few bench spots in this league, and I currently have Wieters sitting there, along with J. Upton. It's somewhat of a long shot but I'm hoping one of the two really busts out in the second half and I have a young, stud keeper for the next decade).

So: should I make this trade? I'm almost positive the other guy will accept, he's a huge Sox fan and loves Lester. Thanks, and leave a link.
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Shaking things up...what do you think? WHIR

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:38 am

If he'll accept, I'd of course do that deal. You make a huge upgrade in Rivera over Sherrill, and I personally love Harang. He's pitched very well so far, even with his 2-3 record.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Fender1114 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:17 am

Well first off, Lester's 2008 was NOT an abberation. He's going to be an excellent pitcher now and for years to come, and I like him better than Harang. That being said, I think the upgrade from Sherrill to Rivera is so immense that it's a good deal for you.

Help?
viewtopic.php?t=381755
Fender1114
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sbauer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:41 am

I'd hate to lose Lester. With that said, though, if you can pawn off Sherrill on someone else and upgrade at the same time, you do it. Sherrill is a LOOGY in closers' clothes. His job could be up for grabs this year.
sbauer
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rmande09 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks for the help on mine.

I do actually believe Lester's 2008 is indicative of his abilities. However, Harang is not that much of a drop-off and will probably end up pretty close to Lester in terms of statistics, though Lester will probably end up winning more games because of the better team. Rivera is waaaaaay better than Sherrill, so that makes it a really nice upgrade at closer, and never underrate what a great closer can do for your ratios. I'd do it, if, of course, he accepts.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby michaelyoung4prez » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:14 am

First off is there nothing on WW closer wise? Like Downs or Franklin...
michaelyoung4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 21)

Postby hambone1818 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:23 pm

michaelyoung4prez wrote:First off is there nothing on WW closer wise? Like Downs or Franklin...

The best available WW options are:

Gonzalez (3 saves, a ton of K's, decent start to the season but splitting duties)
Hawkins (ugh...I don't even want to go there)

That's it. Downs was picked up just before I was going to do it and Franklin was drafted. Alot of teams went with 3 closers to start the year so there's very, very little out there.
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Gnu314 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:26 pm

I like the trade, at first I wasn't sure but I think its worth the slight downgrade at SP for the enormous upgrade at closer.

I'd try to grab Mike Gonzalez, I don't want any part of Hawkins either... I don't think Atl will be a committee all season long. But then I have no idea who to cut considering your bench situation.

viewtopic.php?t=381762
Gnu314
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby michaelyoung4prez » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:16 pm

hambone1818 wrote:That's it. Downs was picked up just before I was going to do it and Franklin was drafted. Alot of teams went with 3 closers to start the year so there's very, very little out there.

Touche, I would try and grab Gonzalez as well. I like the trade alright, I like Lester's upside better but the closer comparison isn't even close. Harang < Lester (not a lot) Mariano >>>>>> Flat Hat. Depends on how much you want a stud closer, I tend not to trade for closers but this isn't giving up too much, not like you are trading Lester for like Mike Hampton or something
michaelyoung4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 21)

Postby bcbhockey68 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:20 pm

The closer upgrade is too good to refuse.

help with mine:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=381780
bcbhockey68
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions