Hanrahan removed from Nationals' closer job - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hanrahan removed from Nationals' closer job

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hanrahan removed from Nationals' closer job

Postby hickdubious » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:25 am

Per Rotoworld:
The team is expected to go to a closer-by-committee for now, led by Julian Tavarez and Kip Wells. However, odds are that Joe Beimel will take over the job when he returns from the DL next week. Mixed leaguers should consider adding Beimel, who has the best chance at holding onto the job once healthy.
hickdubious
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Hanrahan removed from Nationals' closer job

Postby wildbill » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:39 am

I think you only want to touch a RP on that team if you are seriously desperate for saves.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Suicide Kings » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:14 pm

wildbill wrote:I think you only want to touch a RP on that team if you are seriously desperate for saves.

See i don't agree with that....these sorts of teams that are only going to win by a run or 2 are pure gold for cheap 30 saves...Nats only won 4 games, but would have won more if their bullpen held up...how happy are those who took KRod so early? Or any of those touted closers actually?? I'm sitting pretty in my league having waited and nabbed Broxton later mid rounds and Fransisco way late....a team like the Nats and a new closer coming in is as low risk for solid reward as you can get...
Hit the ball over the fence and you can take ALLLLL the time you want to run around the bases...
Suicide Kings
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wildbill » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:03 pm

Suicide Kings wrote:
wildbill wrote:I think you only want to touch a RP on that team if you are seriously desperate for saves.

See i don't agree with that....these sorts of teams that are only going to win by a run or 2 are pure gold for cheap 30 saves...Nats only won 4 games, but would have won more if their bullpen held up...how happy are those who took KRod so early? Or any of those touted closers actually?? I'm sitting pretty in my league having waited and nabbed Broxton later mid rounds and Fransisco way late....a team like the Nats and a new closer coming in is as low risk for solid reward as you can get...

I didn't say that with the saves in mind, I said that thinking all their relievers suck so you're going to take a pretty decent hit in ERA, WHIP and quite possibly K/9 to pick up occasional saves. There is nothing "low risk" about that, unless you have really strong SP to cover the nasty stats you're likely to get in the other categories. So, like I said you need to be pretty desperate for saves to touch this situation, especially if it really is a committee. Let me put it another way, it's the last team I'd be looking at to try and get saves from. I didn't say to avoid it, just that it should basically be the last resort for getting saves. You really haven't said anything to refute my opinion that you need to be desperate to go looking for saves in WAS.

I'm not sure how you can possibly compare Broxton to any Nats RP, Broxton is a stud, the Nats RP are duds. Frank Fransisco is also better then any Nats RP, IMO. It was kind of odd to throw them in the conversation.

One other note, the Nats are looking like a team that could make a serious run at 110+ loses. That would leave 52 wins, not a lot of save chances, and you figure they're going to continue to blow a number of them.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:50 pm

Agreed with wildbill. But the more important point is that you don't know whom is going to be the guy. Beimal? Tavarez? Wells? Mock? Back to Hanrahan? Rivera (in the minors I think)? random other guy? A trade?

The problem is that all of these guys are bad and it's unlikely that any one of them is going to hold the job for a decent stretch. And they will hurt your ratios while in there (that's not really the big issue here).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:37 pm

Biemal should get it. From what I've seen of him he's like Broxton with 3 or 4 less mph. His form and 3 pitches remind me of Broxton though, and he should be plenty capable.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Carnac » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:49 pm

Beimal is a pretty solid pitcher. Watched him with the Dodgers. He should be able to run with the job. And I agree, closers on weak offensive teams get their shots. Could be a very cheap 25-30 saves from Nats closer. I picked up Biemal a few days ago.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wildbill » Fri May 01, 2009 8:54 am

Here's a except from the lastest closer article by Eric Karabell on ESPN:
Rumors out of Washington say Joe Beimel will be the team's closer when he comes off the DL. Maybe there will be a save opportunity before then. However, the lefty is 32 years old and has a career WHIP of 1.48 and three career saves. He's not even that good against lefties. Suffice it to say he's never been thought of as a closer before. In fact, about three weeks before the start of this season, he didn't have a job.

Does that sound like a solid closer to you? Like I've said before you have to be desperate to look at the Nats for saves.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chem » Fri May 01, 2009 11:54 am

wildbill wrote:Here's a except from the lastest closer article by Eric Karabell on ESPN:
Rumors out of Washington say Joe Beimel will be the team's closer when he comes off the DL. Maybe there will be a save opportunity before then. However, the lefty is 32 years old and has a career WHIP of 1.48 and three career saves. He's not even that good against lefties. Suffice it to say he's never been thought of as a closer before. In fact, about three weeks before the start of this season, he didn't have a job.

Does that sound like a solid closer to you? Like I've said before you have to be desperate to look at the Nats for saves.

Karabell is usually a good source of info, but he's been lazy investigating Beimel. Not only is Beimel doing great this season, but his 3-year splits are solid:

WHIP 1.34
ERA 3.04 (not amazing, but good enough)
LHB AVG .232 and OPS .578
vs RHB he is about the same as the other options in their pen.

This only thing not to like about him as a closer is a rather pedestrian K/9, but I doubt the Nats will care about that if he can perform at Ryan Franklin level as a closer. As in, just get the job done -- which nobody else on their team can do.
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:57 pm

chem wrote:
wildbill wrote:Here's a except from the lastest closer article by Eric Karabell on ESPN:

Karabell is usually a good source of info, but he's been lazy investigating Beimel. Not only is Beimel doing great this season, but his 3-year splits are solid:

WHIP 1.34
ERA 3.04 (not amazing, but good enough)
LHB AVG .232 and OPS .578
vs RHB he is about the same as the other options in their pen.

This only thing not to like about him as a closer is a rather pedestrian K/9, but I doubt the Nats will care about that if he can perform at Ryan Franklin level as a closer. As in, just get the job done -- which nobody else on their team can do.

and yet again we have this thread for this guy as a source of saves even tho hes just gonna to a 'just get the job done' type deal?? hmm sounds like a solid choice there, there are like 4-5 guys that will compete for saves and a 3.04 ERA and 1.34 WHIP for a 3-year spilt doesn't sound like something thats going to hold up... not to mention hes comin off the DL no telling how he will produce right away, and if he doesn't produce right away don't think the Nats won't jump ship on him... its going to be one revolving door of CBC for the Nats...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates