Celtics-Bulls - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Celtics-Bulls

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Celtics-Bulls

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 am

knapplc wrote:Yeah, I'm under no illusions that the Bulls are good. :-b And without KG it's going to be tough for the Celts. I think they played pretty well considering the "fatigue factor" I talked about. It looks like they just don't have an answer for Howard or Rashard Lewis without Garnett.

Yes...Rashard Lewis isn't only a jump shooter as he was called above. He's a very effective two-way player.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 05, 2009 11:17 am

If Orlando pounds the ball inside for 48 minutes each game they should win this with relative ease. I say relative because this is still the Celtics we're talking about here. That said, it wouldn't shock me if the Magic actually didn't pound the ball inside for 48 minutes, cause I've watched them not do that all season...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:48 am

It was a real pity that the Celtics lost this series. I was really hoping to watch LeBron sweep them. :-)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby jfg » Tue May 19, 2009 3:28 am

If they were in the West they would have been swept the first round. I love the East style of basketball because it's a lot of fun to watch but it just doesn't equate to wins (unless you acquire a dream team I guess). I really hope the Cavs win it all though.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:40 am

East style basketball? The Cavs have one of the lowest pace factors in the league, and are the best defensive team in the NBA. I'd be very surprised if they didn't win the championship (as much as I'd like to see Chauncey do it).

The Nuggets and Lakers, on the other hand, have a few of the highest pace factors. I'd consider them far more fun to watch.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby thedude » Tue May 19, 2009 8:33 am

jfg wrote:If they were in the West they would have been swept the first round. I love the East style of basketball because it's a lot of fun to watch but it just doesn't equate to wins (unless you acquire a dream team I guess). I really hope the Cavs win it all though.

East was actually better than the West this year. Three of the four best teams were in the East.

And By East style basketball do mean defense? Because it has been proven time and time again that defense wins rings. The best defensive teams are in the East.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby knapplc » Tue May 19, 2009 9:12 am

thedude wrote:
jfg wrote:If they were in the West they would have been swept the first round. I love the East style of basketball because it's a lot of fun to watch but it just doesn't equate to wins (unless you acquire a dream team I guess). I really hope the Cavs win it all though.

East was actually better than the West this year. Three of the four best teams were in the East.

And By East style basketball do mean defense? Because it has been proven time and time again that defense wins rings. The best defensive teams are in the East.

Yep. The Celtics, the Lakers, the Pistons, the Bulls, the Rockets... from the 80s through the 90s, those are the teams who won, and all played pretty good defense. The Bulls and Pistons especially played tough D.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:33 am

knapplc wrote:
thedude wrote:

Yep. The Celtics, the Lakers, the Pistons, the Bulls, the Rockets... from the 80s through the 90s, those are the teams who won, and all played pretty good defense. The Bulls and Pistons especially played tough D.

Spurs, Pistons, Celtics in recent years, too...
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Tue May 19, 2009 11:00 am

Yep, and none of those teams won by accident. Their defense was key, and always will be.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby silentjim » Tue May 19, 2009 1:10 pm

You guys are all advanced stats based in baseball, so perhaps you'll appreciate John Hollinger's PER (Player Efficiency Rating) rankings in basketball and what they detail. To make this short, Lebron James right now has the highest PER in the Playoffs that has ever been. Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain can't touch his current efficiency. It's actually almost laughable at this point. I'm trying to think of a baseball comparison, but can't quite put it into perspective.

I posted about it here on the basketball side as well.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk