Ricky Nolasco this guy blows - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ricky Nolasco this guy blows

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ricky Nolasco this guy blows

Postby Chicago RedSox » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:38 pm

I also think patience is the key with Nolasco.
According to fangraphs, his BABIP is .391, and should be somewhere closer to .300

And his ERA is 6.92, but his FIP (Fielder Independant Pitching on an ERA scale / or ERA if the guys behind him did their jobs) is 3.65. Big difference, and a signal that his numbers should improve soon.

His K/9 is still on par with where it should be, but his BB/9 is a little high, so watch for the walks to decrease and then plug him in.

Good luck.
Last edited by Chicago RedSox on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigmoney » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:54 am

[quote="Chicago RedSox"]I also think patience is the key with Nolasco.
According to fangraphs, his BABIP is .391, and should be somewhere closer to 3.00.

And his ERA is 6.92, but his FIP (Fielder Independant Pitching on an ERA scale / or ERA if the guys behind him did their jobs) is 3.65. Big difference, and a signal that his numbers should improve soon.

His K/9 is still on par with where it should be, but his BB/9 is a little high, so watch for the walks to decrease and then plug him in.

Good luck.[/quote]

this was a great post. the facts back up the reasons why fantasy owners should be patient with this guy, he's just been unlucky so far.
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Postby krunchyfrogg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:44 am

Chicago RedSox wrote:I also think patience is the key with Nolasco.
According to fangraphs, his BABIP is .391, and should be somewhere closer to 3.00.

Good luck.

It's too bad my leagues count actual ERA, not FIP. ;)

He's riding the pine for me until he starts pitching well.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:49 pm

krunchyfrogg wrote:
Chicago RedSox wrote:I also think patience is the key with Nolasco.

Good luck.

It's too bad my leagues count actual ERA, not FIP. ;)

He's riding the pine for me until he starts pitching well.

Ummm.... I think the point of quoting FIP is to say that he isn't pitching poorly, he's just had bad results. So you should keep starting him since, eventually, the luck will even itself out.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yossarian » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:56 pm

Regarding the Fielder independent ERA--just because that's good, that doesn't necessarily mean his ERA will go down. Don't the Marlins have notoriously bad fielders? That's not necessarily going to change at any point this season, is it? Won't that be a bit of a detriment to Nolasco and all of the Florida pitchers? Not a 6+ ERA detriment, mind you, but still, it could be a problem, right?
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:05 pm

yossarian wrote:Regarding the Fielder independent ERA--just because that's good, that doesn't necessarily mean his ERA will go down. Don't the Marlins have notoriously bad fielders? That's not necessarily going to change at any point this season, is it? Won't that be a bit of a detriment to Nolasco and all of the Florida pitchers? Not a 6+ ERA detriment, mind you, but still, it could be a problem, right?

Well two points.

One, yes, FIP doesn't factor in defense, so a poor defense is going to likely make a player have a worse ERA than FIP.

And it's not a "guarantee" that pitcher's ERA will automatically match their FIP, but when a pitcher has a FIP of 3.50 and an ERA of 5.50, they are immensely more attractive than a pitcher who has a FIP of 4.50 and an ERA of 3.00.

Guys like Nolasco are screaming buys, while guys like Jonathan Sanchez are screaming sells because their peripherals indicate much different performance than their ratios show.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby krunchyfrogg » Fri May 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Matthias wrote:Ummm.... I think the point of quoting FIP is to say that he isn't pitching poorly, he's just had bad results. So you should keep starting him since, eventually, the luck will even itself out.

Yeah, it is. And the point of my post was that I was poking a little harmless fun.

I guess if you have to explain something is a joke, and a winking smiley doesn't give it away, it just isn't that funny.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RenPastana » Wed May 13, 2009 9:21 pm

RenPastana wrote:I created a similar post on Nolasco and have come to accept his #'s thus far...even though he doesn't have a long track record that consistently shows that hes a slow starter (4-5 yrs of #'s is waht I mean), I am willing to give him a chance ON MY BENCH until he picks it up, as he should....There are tons of people saying he's going to break down because of the sudden increase in IP last yr, or bc he's on some dude's list meaning his arm is about to fall off...let'em talk...this is what you can do...for now, if you really need IP, then throw him out there against weaker offenses, but if you can afford to keep him on your bench until he heats up, then by all means do it...BUT DO NOT drop him...especially if you're in K/BB leagues!

good luck

Forget what I said...the title of this thread is the most accurate thing I have seen in a while! RL :-t

Ricky is simply pathetic...he walked the #7 Hart, went ahead and walked #8 hitter Jason Kendall, YES JASON KENDALL, then gave up a single to the pitcher,YES A SINGLE TO THE PITCHER, Brandon Looper...Hopefully the Marlins will come forth and show that he's injured and put him overweight butt on the DL so he is no longer a liability to the team and us over here on the fantasy side of things...
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RenPastana » Wed May 13, 2009 9:54 pm

To add insult to pain, after giving up an RBI single to the pitcher, I went for a quick shower, came back and saw my ERA go from 3.51 to 3.88...thanks to this guy...the world can change in 5 minutes, which is why everyone says live today as if its your last day...

3 IP, 8 ER...I think it is safe to drop his sorry *** at this point
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pappymojo » Wed May 13, 2009 10:29 pm

If I were to make a move right now, he's the guy that gets dropped from my team.
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates