Pitching strategy in a odd H2H league counting H, R, BB, HR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitching strategy in a odd H2H league counting H, R, BB, HR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching strategy in a odd H2H league counting H, R, BB, HR

Postby Hey Hermano » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm in a 12-team H2H league, so I drafted a lot of sleeper SPs in my draft for the bench. Now I've got a solid, solid rotation of 7 SPs. However, my league, since it's just between e-bros, has a lot of crazy, esoteric stats - namely extra counting stats for pitching: H, R, BB and HR. This could negate my original strategy of a deep SP rotation, because if I send out 5-7 guys one week I'd be punting H, R, BB, and maybe HR simply due to more starts. It'd be winning 2 categories (wins and Ks) and giving up 4.

I found out this the hard way last week, where my opponent only started Jered Weaver and Kerry Wood and still won H, R, and HR en route to beating me 12-7-6, even though I racked up 5 wins with a 2.57 ERA and a 0.99 WHIP.

This week, my opponent is a guy who went ridiculously pitching-heavy in the draft, and has Halladay, Haren, Billingsley, Cain, Kershaw, and Harang.

Do you guys think the quality of my SP depth is still useful in a league like this? It seems like starting everyone I have isn't the most effective plan anymore. And maybe I should start limiting my starts besides Jake Peavy and Felix Hernandez and look for matchups instead. Judging from the scoring my league has, what do you think my pitching strategy should be going forward?

This is my rotation:
Yahoo 12 team H2H league, 12x13?
(R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, OBP, BB, SB-CS, SB%, HBP, GIDP, SLAM x W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, H, R, BB, HR, Wild Pitches, Shutouts, No-Hitters, Perfect Games)

SP - Jake Peavy
SP - Felix Hernandez
P - Zack Greinke
P - John Danks
P - Erik Bedard
P - Wandy Rodriguez
P - Gil Meche
P - Paul Maholm
RP - Jonathan Broxton
RP - Chad Qualls
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching strategy in a odd H2H league counting H, R, BB, HR

Postby Maris09 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:17 pm

So you can throw one releiver one inning and win 4 out of the 6 pitching stats? Is there an innings minimum?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Hey Hermano » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:09 pm

It's a 9.0 IP minimum. So actually, my opponent was lucky, since Weaver went exactly 7.0 innings last week and Kerry Wood pitched twice.
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby IVIisfits138 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:09 pm

So... only keep your two best starters and pitch one based on the favorable matchup while pitching Qualls and Broxton every week?
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby walkoffblast » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Hey Hermano wrote:Yahoo 12 team H2H league, 12x13?
(R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, OBP, BB, SB-CS, SB%, HBP, GIDP, SLAM x W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, H, R, BB, HR, Wild Pitches, Shutouts, No-Hitters, Perfect Games)

I think my eyes are bleeding. Next year think less is more and add some common sense to the equation. There are a ton of warped player values in these setting with sp probably the worst with a min IP of only 9.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Hey Hermano wrote:It's a 9.0 IP minimum.

as long as Greinke keeps pitching complete game shutouts you're golden ;-D

do what fits said. Just pitch 2 of Greinke/Peavy/Felix based on who they're facing.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Hey Hermano » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:53 am

There are a ton of warped player values in these setting with sp probably the worst with a min IP of only 9.

What other warped values are there? I wonder if you could win pitching by starting 5 closers/setup men and getting 9 IP that way.

Thanks for your help, guys. Well... this sucks. It looks like drafting all that SP depth was a waste.

To top it all off, my league also has two extra IF slots (IF, not CI/MI), so I'm getting my ass kicked by teams that autodrafted and picked 3 1Bs and a scrub 2B or SS. Drafting for position scarcity = useless. The guy in first place right now? He has Morneau and Votto as his IFs and Polanco and Mike Aviles as his 2B/SS. Ughhhh.

I'm debating blowing up my SP rotation and seeing what I can get for anyone not named Peavy, Hernandez, or Greinke.
Hey Hermano
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers