Crazy, Homeless People Don't Appreciate "Thwartings" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Crazy, Homeless People Don't Appreciate "Thwartings"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Crazy, Homeless People Don't Appreciate "Thwartings"

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 27, 2009 5:55 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:I prefer cash though. It's more convenient for day to day life.

I could not disagree more. I pay for things in cash if and only if the place doesn't take credit. It requires fiscal responsibility, which a lot of people are seemingly incapable of, but is worlds more convenient than having to make sure I have cash on me at all times.

There's a place here in Denver called "Vine Street Pub" they are an offshoot of Mountain Sun Brewery in Boulder. They ONLY take cash, check, IOU, and Bill by mail.

They serve delicious food and micro beer but there are hippies (well not that many) I actually like how they do that. They also have a cash machine that is only a buck to use.

You should go there Madison. Oh by the way I met a bunch of Skiers in Dallas Cowboys jackets and jeans this year. Seriously it was hilarious.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed May 27, 2009 5:57 pm

knapplc wrote:
Madison wrote:So no, cash will still be used plenty in our lifetimes.

Why did you only quote part of my post? We're saying the same thing essentially, we're just (apparently) disagreeing on the degree to which cash will be used less.

knapplc wrote:Cash will never be 100% obsolete, but like checks, cash's use is being superseded by plastic more and more. Who knows what the eventual percentages will be, but use of cash in-system will continue to go down. We're 20 weeks into 2009, and I'll bet you I haven't had cash money in my wallet ten times this year.

I always quote what I'm addressing. It's neater and less confusing that way. ;-D

As to our disagreement, I simply think cash will continue to be used a lot more frequently than you do. No biggie really.

StlSluggers wrote:
Madison wrote:Mostly though it's due to the inconvenience of not having cash because normal people don't have the ability to accept a credit card.

This will be fixed soon. As someone who works in the cc industry, I can tell you that very soon, most mobile phones will be able to install software that will allow them to act as a card-swiping station. Anyone will be able to accept a credit card payment anywhere.

For free? I know merchants pay a fee for every single credit card transaction (3%), so who's going to foot the bill for this?

Amazes me that some people out there don't realize that the expense of credit card transactions are passed off on the consumer. Had a lady in front of me in line last week and the credit card machine was going really slow to process the transaction. She griped at the cashier and of course the cashier apologized. Me being me I told the cashier there was no need to apologize, it should be the other way around. The other customer looked at me with this odd look on her face. I shrugged and pointed out that had she paid cash, she'd be in her car by now and the entire line of people wouldn't be waiting for her. Not to mention that the fee for processing her transaction raises the price on what everyone pays for their groceries, including me who is paying in cash. So she really should be the one apologizing to everyone in line instead of griping at the cashier. She just got a snooty look on her face, took her receipt since it had processed by now, and left. The cashier and the guy behind me in line all got a good laugh out of the whole thing. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Madison wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
Madison wrote:Mostly though it's due to the inconvenience of not having cash because normal people don't have the ability to accept a credit card.

This will be fixed soon. As someone who works in the cc industry, I can tell you that very soon, most mobile phones will be able to install software that will allow them to act as a card-swiping station. Anyone will be able to accept a credit card payment anywhere.

For free? I know merchants pay a fee for every single credit card transaction (3%), so who's going to foot the bill for this?

I can't imagine it would be for free, but the fact still stand that anyone who wants to take credit cards as a way to transfer money instantly will soon be able to do so over their phone.

In regards to your comment how people using credit cards raises everyone's price, did you know that credit card company agreements actually forbid merchants from pointing out the fee they pay when a person uses a credit card? That's why you see gas stations that offer cash discounts as opposed to credit card penalties.

Pretty sucky, eh?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby knapplc » Wed May 27, 2009 6:39 pm

StlSluggers wrote:In regards to your comment how people using credit cards raises everyone's price, did you know that credit card company agreements actually forbid merchants from pointing out the fee they pay when a person uses a credit card? That's why you see gas stations that offer cash discounts as opposed to credit card penalties.

I did not know that. I won't rat anyone out, but I will say that I've been told about that fee, on many occasions.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 27, 2009 7:08 pm

knapplc wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:In regards to your comment how people using credit cards raises everyone's price, did you know that credit card company agreements actually forbid merchants from pointing out the fee they pay when a person uses a credit card? That's why you see gas stations that offer cash discounts as opposed to credit card penalties.

I did not know that. I won't rat anyone out, but I will say that I've been told about that fee, on many occasions.

yeah i wanted to pay for my wedding on my Debit/Credit Card aso i could get the reward points and the hall said i could...if i was willing to pay the fee...it was a few hundred bucks so i declined and paid cash (well, check actually)

also the creepy guy at the comic book shop will charge me an extra $0.25 to pay by debit on anything less than $10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed May 27, 2009 7:10 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Madison wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:This will be fixed soon. As someone who works in the cc industry, I can tell you that very soon, most mobile phones will be able to install software that will allow them to act as a card-swiping station. Anyone will be able to accept a credit card payment anywhere.

I can't imagine it would be for free, but the fact still stand that anyone who wants to take credit cards as a way to transfer money instantly will soon be able to do so over their phone.

In regards to your comment how people using credit cards raises everyone's price, did you know that credit card company agreements actually forbid merchants from pointing out the fee they pay when a person uses a credit card? That's why you see gas stations that offer cash discounts as opposed to credit card penalties.

Pretty sucky, eh?

I knew it wouldn't be free, I simply asked because cash transactions are free, so there's no sense at all in switching to credit cards and losing a percentage of the transaction to fees. Some people will do it, but it really makes no sense to do so and it's yet another reason why cash is better.

I knew the credit card companies don't want people to know they are paying fees for being able to use credit cards, but I didn't know they forbade merchants from telling consumers about the fees. I know several business owners, managers, etc, that have told me exactly what they pay in fees each month. Pretty easy to see how that reflects into their prices for the smaller companies. I am not a merchant and do not accept credit cards, so I am free to let everyone know that they are helping to drive prices up by using credit cards instead of cash. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 27, 2009 7:10 pm

knapplc wrote:

I think the rule is mostly there to keep them from advertising it. Hearing it by word of mouth is a different story...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:04 pm

I guess they changed the rules?

Sharon Gamsin, vice president of communications with MasterCard, said there is nothing stopping retailers from telling customers what the fees are.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33126188/ns/business-us_business/page/2/

*Note - Link is to page 2 of the article (since that's where I took the quote from), but it is an interesting article and I'm curious to see how it plays out.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Really? I can think of a few instances where I've been told the fee from a merchant. Usually when it's a mom and pop type place and I don't have any cash on me and I'm buying something small. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Madison wrote:

I guess they changed the rules?

Sharon Gamsin, vice president of communications with MasterCard, said there is nothing stopping retailers from telling customers what the fees are.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33126188/ns/business-us_business/page/2/

*Note - Link is to page 2 of the article (since that's where I took the quote from), but it is an interesting article and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Interesting. I'm gonna ask around on this.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk