Crazy, Homeless People Don't Appreciate "Thwartings" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Crazy, Homeless People Don't Appreciate "Thwartings"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Crazy, Homeless People Don't Appreciate "Thwartings"

Postby Madison » Wed May 27, 2009 1:14 am

knapplc wrote:I wonder how these people are going to make a living in five-ten years when cash really becomes rare. The trend is going away from paper money, and that's not likely to end soon.

Won't happen in our lifetimes, too many people are worried about "Big Brother" being able to trace every single nickel they spend. Mostly though it's due to the inconvenience of not having cash because normal people don't have the ability to accept a credit card. Pay the kid that mows your yard? Vending machine? $20 side bet with a buddy on a sports event? Loaning a friend or relative money? Your kid's allowance? The list never ends on where plastic only is too inconvenient to ever happen.

Cash is where it is at and always will be. Untraceable, convenient, and everyone has the ability to accept that form of payment.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed May 27, 2009 8:15 am

All that can be handled by EFT. Put an app on your phone and you can make bets and pay them off all day long without ever once going to a bank or cash box.

Cash will never be 100% obsolete, but like checks, cash's use is being superseded by plastic more and more. Who knows what the eventual percentages will be, but use of cash in-system will continue to go down. We're 20 weeks into 2009, and I'll bet you I haven't had cash money in my wallet ten times this year.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Wed May 27, 2009 8:37 am

knapplc wrote:All that can be handled by EFT. Put an app on your phone and you can make bets and pay them off all day long without ever once going to a bank or cash box.

Cash will never be 100% obsolete, but like checks, cash's use is being superseded by plastic more and more. Who knows what the eventual percentages will be, but use of cash in-system will continue to go down. We're 20 weeks into 2009, and I'll bet you I haven't had cash money in my wallet ten times this year.

I'm the same way. A $100 in cash and will usually last me 3-4 months. The wife and I charge almost everything on our Discover Miles credit card and pay off the balance every month. Not only do we essentially get free air fair, but my credit rating is very good (over 800) . In addition, in sixteen years of using credit cards, I've not paid one penny interest to a credit card company. ;-D I know some people here are really against credit cards, but they can really be a useful tool if you're careful.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Wed May 27, 2009 8:47 am

josebach wrote:I know some people here are really against credit cards, but they can really be a useful tool if you're careful.

Absolutely. The economy we live in almost requires you to have at least one card, and used properly, they're a great way to establish a credit line. Plus they're really convenient. We have gotten behind on our cards before, and it only takes once to make those payments to realize how much of a losing proposition that is. Use them, don't abuse them, and they're fine.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 27, 2009 11:03 am

josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:All that can be handled by EFT. Put an app on your phone and you can make bets and pay them off all day long without ever once going to a bank or cash box.

I'm the same way. A $100 in cash and will usually last me 3-4 months. The wife and I charge almost everything on our Discover Miles credit card and pay off the balance every month. Not only do we essentially get free air fair, but my credit rating is very good (over 800) . In addition, in sixteen years of using credit cards, I've not paid one penny interest to a credit card company. ;-D I know some people here are really against credit cards, but they can really be a useful tool if you're careful.

Can you pay off my credit cards?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed May 27, 2009 4:06 pm

13 year old kids have bank accounts (mowing yards part)? Or 5 year old kids (my kid started getting an allowance at 5 - and there's a huge difference in telling him he's got $20 and him actually having a $20 bill)?

And what's an "app"? Yes, I know what it is, but my phone isn't geared that way. I've still got an original Razr that does exactly what I want my phone to do (make calls! :-b ), and I do not shell out for the internet capability on it. So "apps" don't apply to anyone who doesn't have a cell phone or for those that only have a cell phone for its actual use.

Not to mention those that are worried about "Big Brother" tracking every nickel they spend.

And of course the costs to set up a non-cash society are still far too great.

So no, cash will still be used plenty in our lifetimes.

josebach wrote:I know some people here are really against credit cards, but they can really be a useful tool if you're careful.

Not sure if I ever gave the impression that I'm against credit cards, so let me say I am not against credit cards. :-) And they are better to use for large ticket items, as carrying around a couple thousand in cash to buy a big screen television isn't really the best way to go.

I prefer cash though. It's more convenient for day to day life. I only commented in the thread due to the notion that cash will vanish at some point in the near future, because that just isn't going to happen for a multitude of reasons.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Madison wrote:Mostly though it's due to the inconvenience of not having cash because normal people don't have the ability to accept a credit card.

This will be fixed soon. As someone who works in the cc industry, I can tell you that very soon, most mobile phones will be able to install software that will allow them to act as a card-swiping station. Anyone will be able to accept a credit card payment anywhere.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 27, 2009 5:31 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Madison wrote:Mostly though it's due to the inconvenience of not having cash because normal people don't have the ability to accept a credit card.

This will be fixed soon. As someone who works in the cc industry, I can tell you that very soon, most mobile phones will be able to install software that will allow them to act as a card-swiping station. Anyone will be able to accept a credit card payment anywhere.

Thats pretty sweet. Time to become a male prostitute
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Wed May 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Madison wrote:So no, cash will still be used plenty in our lifetimes.

Why did you only quote part of my post? We're saying the same thing essentially, we're just (apparently) disagreeing on the degree to which cash will be used less.

knapplc wrote:Cash will never be 100% obsolete, but like checks, cash's use is being superseded by plastic more and more. Who knows what the eventual percentages will be, but use of cash in-system will continue to go down. We're 20 weeks into 2009, and I'll bet you I haven't had cash money in my wallet ten times this year.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 27, 2009 5:51 pm

Madison wrote:I prefer cash though. It's more convenient for day to day life.

I could not disagree more. I pay for things in cash if and only if the place doesn't take credit. It requires fiscal responsibility, which a lot of people are seemingly incapable of, but is worlds more convenient than having to make sure I have cash on me at all times.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk