Sean Burroughs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sean Burroughs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SAFLA » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:51 pm

Burroughs is neither is good nor as bad as people are making him out to be. In any deep league (NL only 12 to 13 teams or mixed with 18 or higher) Burroughs is a viable option. He and Doug Mientkiewcz are very similar. Both provide high averages with below average power numbers. A perfect compliment to a Raffy type of player.
SAFLA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mtarail » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:22 pm

I've drafted into 3 competetive leagues 5x5 leagues so far and Burroughs has only been drafted in one of them. I've seen and read the hype around him. One guy (xeifrank) was passing around draft-sim software that had Burroughs ranked 3rd or 4th overall on the hot plate. Give me a break.

Everyone who has him ranked highly is basing their analysis on overly optimistic projections of his #'s. Not only would I take all the guys I mentioned before him, but I thought of another one. Vinny Castilla. He put up better #'s than Burroughs last year in Atlanta and now he's moving back to Coors field where he once hit 40 jacks in a year for 3 years in a row. Will he hit 40 again? No. Does he have a better chance of putting together a better statistical season than Burroughs? Yup.

I'm pretty skeptical about that auction. Dmitri Young and Castilla aren't even listed and Burroughs goes ahead of Ensberg, Hillenbrand, and far ahead of Koskie? Doesn't make sense to me... 8-o
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:49 pm

Sean Burroughs is 24 years old... He was one of the best minor league players over the last ten years.. His power will eventually develop to 20+ a year.. He is NOT FAT, and does have very good baserunning skills.. That is why he will lead off for the Padres this year.. Within 3-4 years.. Sean Burroughs will be one of the top 3rd basemen in all of baseball.. (imho)

He is available in all drafts real late, and goes undrafted in most.. He is what a true sleeper is.. He has unlimited potential, and all you "So-Called Experts" Have written his career off..(sometimes players need a couple of years to develop in the Majors, regardless of how good they were in the minors, and in college) They all can't be Albert Pujols from day one..

Burroughs will have a very good year, and will continue to improve as the years go by.. This year .300 average and 15 HR's with 15 SB's and 75 RBI's and 90 Runs is very possible.. eventually Burroughs will win a batting title... Just not this year, or next..

Every year there are dozens of very good players who get overlooked, or written off for dead, because of the "What have you done for me lately" attitude.. Don't get caught up in '03 stats.. that is the only way to come away from the draft with several super sleeper picks.. (gotta think outside the box, because everyone knows the "Obviously Sleeper")

Just my point of view... ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Swinger » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:59 pm

I love his plate discipline and his minor league numbers. And they say he'll steal more bases this year. I guess I agree with Haze. If I had the need, I would draft him late and stash him on the bench.
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

matrail

Postby SAFLA » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:14 pm

Both Castilla and the Meat Hook were purchased. Young only Qs at OF though I think.

I also should have mentioned the roster breakdown of 14 bats and 9 arms for $260. Otherwise I think the auction numbers are no different from any other auction. There is always in auction inflation that occurs. If you haven't been in an auction where there are 2 owners waiting for the last "good" corner and they both have money left.....the end result isn't pretty.

The listing was an actual auction result not a GUIDE!!!

At any rate in an NL only league with 12 teams that requires 3 corners roughly 18 3b will purchased or drafted. Burroughs is at midlevel. The same is true in any mixed league with 20 teams.
SAFLA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ramble2 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:33 pm

Burroughs might be most valuable in a H2H league as a backup CI. If he's given a green light to run, he could be a nice insert when you need to catch up in SBs, Runs and average.

I agree that wrveres projections are a little optimistic - but they certainly aren't outlandish. The kid is young, has gotten some good major league ABs and will hopefully still be developing. 10/10 isn't all that exciting. 15/15 starts to raise eyebrows.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mtarail » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:55 pm

I don't claim to be any more of a "so called expert" than you or anyone else, but I agree with you that he's a "deep sleeper" because I'll be more than happy to sleep on him. I'd happily take Koskie or even take a chance on Cabrera before reaching for him.

And while you may be right about Burroughs being a top 3 3B some day, (although I highly doubt it), this conversation wasn't about some ultra-deep keeper league. It was about this year's production. So let's be realistic instead of overly optimistic: .290, 10hr, 85r, and 10-15sb, and 70-75rbi's is sad production from a position that's so deep in talent.

It's a year too late to still be gassed on Burroughs.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:10 am

I am re reading this thread and can't for the life of me figure why you hate Burroughs so much. would you care to enlighten us?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby mtarail » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:33 am

LOL. :-D

I don't hate Burroughs, or for that matter any other major leaguer. I'm wondering why there are so many people so enamored with him. I can tell why wveres is (based on his avatar).

I'm looking at stats and trying to find any reason to think that he's better than 13 or 14 other 3rd basemen for fantasy sports this year, and neither wrveres nor anyone else has come up with one good reason. Is he a "deep sleeper"? Oh, definitely. Do I have any reason whatsoever to believe that he'll hit 20 jacks and steal 20 bases in 2004. Oh, definitely not.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:53 am

mtarail wrote:LOL. :-D

I don't hate Burroughs, or for that matter any other major leaguer. I'm wondering why there are so many people so enamored with him. I can tell why wveres is (based on his avatar).

I'm looking at stats and trying to find any reason to think that he's better than 13 or 14 other 3rd basemen for fantasy sports this year, and neither wrveres nor anyone else has come up with one good reason. Is he a "deep sleeper"? Oh, definitely. Do I have any reason whatsoever to believe that he'll hit 20 jacks and steal 20 bases in 2004. Oh, definitely not.

well for one, I mostly play NL only, and Sean has solid value there. You shouldn't assume that everybody plays your style of ball.

Second, ever hear of players developing? Nobody is saying that Sean is going to hit 30-40 hrs. He is not that type of player yet.
As I tried to point out before, his K/BB rate for his young career, shows that he is in no way overwhelmed at this level. The kid can flat out hit. And as he "Develops" will be an excellent 3B to own. is that going to come this year? Maybe. but probably not. 15 homeruns is not unrealistic.

But to sit there and say that he is just "Fat" and "Slow" and will never amount to anything is pretty short sided on your part. So either you don't know ball, or you hate him. Since I have read your stuff and know that you do somewhat know ball, it leads one to believe you hate him. My guess is because one of those magazines you bought last year told you to gobble him up for 25-30 HR's and he ruined your season.
or was it '02 magazine? hmm

oh well
the kid is 24 and can hit.
go sleep on that
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)