100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Harden's Ks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Harden's Ks

Postby carter » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:12 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:
carter wrote:
Tis wrote:I'm a big Harden fan, and he deserves a healthy year as much as anyone, but I'm not sure about a Cy Young, even if healthy. Pitchcounts are too high, and his health concerns add to that. He wont get beyond 6-7 innings very often. That will hurt his win total and his cy considerations. Think a better version of Kazmir.

I'd love to be proved wrong though.

well, a healthy ace can go over 7 innings often... so IF he's HEALTHY.. like 100%, then i think Pinella would let him go deeper...and then yea, just write cy young next to his name

and then yeah, just write off his next 2 seasons.

that would be an injured pitcher.. was thinking along the lines of a healthy pitcher
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 am

carter wrote:
that would be an injured pitcher.. was thinking along the lines of a healthy pitcher

no, i am saying that Harden has such a bad injury HISTORY, that you need to be careful even when he is 100% healthy. his is a ticking time bomb to some degree. the longer he stays healthy, the more likely he is to get injured. by really riding a guy, you'd just be exponentially increasing the odds of an injury, and probably increasing the odds that the injury lasts longer.

i just want him to be a 150 IP for the next few years, and that is all the cubs should be hoping for as well.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tis » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:46 am

carter wrote:
Tis wrote:I'm a big Harden fan, and he deserves a healthy year as much as anyone, but I'm not sure about a Cy Young, even if healthy. Pitchcounts are too high, and his health concerns add to that. He wont get beyond 6-7 innings very often. That will hurt his win total and his cy considerations. Think a better version of Kazmir.

I'd love to be proved wrong though.

well, a healthy ace can go over 7 innings often... so IF he's HEALTHY.. like 100%, then i think Pinella would let him go deeper...and then yea, just write cy young next to his name

Not necessarily, all pitchers (well, maybe not CC last year X-I ) are limited by pitchcount. Pitchers that have high pitchcounts/inning won't make it as far into games. Again, I refer you to Kazmir. Maybe you'll say he's not an "Ace" but if he kept his pitchcounts down he would be. Scott, in 2008, averaged 5.6 innings per start (with some injury issues granted), and even in 2007 he averaged about 6.05 innings per start...

The efficiency of a pitcher means a lot when it comes to how far into games he pitches. Harden K's a lot of guys, but in some ways that hurts him... they cant hit him, good stuff or bad, so he uses a lot of pitchers per batter. A guy who gets a lot of first/second pitch outs is going to make it farther into the game.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers