Please help give advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please help give advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please help give advice

Postby fauthsie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:11 pm

This is my team in a 14 team keepers league with R,H,RBI,HR,SB,AVG,W,K,SV,HLD,ERA,WHIP as scoreable stats

This is year third year of a keeper league my previous keepers from last year are marked with a (K) everyone else was drafted this year. Baker was a pick up to cover for Doumit's injury and Sheets was a late round pick up in this year draft is he worth holding onto until August when he comes back?. My team's preformance thus far has been good but I am concerned about long term production. So my question is what do you think I should to improve. My team currently as follows. Thanks for any imput

C John Baker (Fla - C)
1B Kevin Youkilis (Bos - 1B,3B) (K)
2B Plácido Polanco (Det - 2B)
3B Felipe López (Ari - 2B,3B,SS,LF)
SS Derek Jeter (NYY - SS)(K)
LF Raúl Ibañez (Phi - LF)
CF Willy Taveras (Cin - CF)(K)
RF Mark DeRosa (Cle - 2B,3B,LF,RF)
Util Carlos Guillén (Det - 1B,3B,LF)(K)
BN Randy Winn (SF - LF,CF,RF)
Milton Bradley (ChC - RF)
DL Ryan Doumit (Pit - C)
DL Vladimir Guerrero (LAA - RF)(K)

Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP)
Gavin Floyd (CWS - SP)
Joe Nathan (Min - RP)(K)
Matt Capps (Pit - RP)(K)
Scot Shields (LAA - RP)
Scott Downs (Tor - RP)
David Weathers(Cin - RP)
Ryan Franklin (StL - RP)
Carlos Zambrano (ChC - SP)(K)
Anthony Reyes (Cle - SP,RP)
Ben Sheets (Mil - SP)
fauthsie
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Hockey

Re: Please help give advice

Postby mannin52 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:19 pm

well, looking at ur team there are no young sexy, high upside guys. this team looks liek a constant 4th place team. no offense. it just doesn't excite me. polanco and lopez as ur 2nd and 3rd is just bad. you have some solid pitching. but this team needs to be made over. i'd trade some Vets that still have names, Vlad(when healthy), Guillen, and try and get some high risk high rewards guys.
mannin52
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jzip89 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:52 pm

i agree completely with the post above me. consistency is a main ingredient in any fantasy championship, but they are mostly won by guys that provide upside and better than projected values. Your team seems like they are mostly on the downswing of their careers and could use some sexy young players. Just thoughts tho...

viewtopic.php?t=381146
jzip89
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Hit Factory » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:25 pm

I agree with the other posters, however I will offer a little more insight. Once Ryan Doumit returns to action you will have a top tier catcher. Youkilis is awesome and will put up MVP type numbers, in the past I really liked Polanco because of his consistency. This year he is off to a rough start but I think he will rebound and hit close to .290-.300. There aren't too many good players at 2nd base, and in a 14 team league I think Polanco is more than serviceable. Felipe Lopez will come crashing back down to earth after his stellar start, so he might be an issue. Jeter is very reliable and like 2nd base there are not too many solid guys at SS. Your outfield is very problematic, I like Ibanez a lot, but the others are shaky. Even when Vlad comes back who knows what he will do, he is certainly not the player he once was, but IF he is fully healthy he should be able to give you decent production. Your pitching is another area you need to improve. Billingsley is your ace, but after that who can you rely on? I was expecting a good year from big Z but so far he has been dissapointing with an ERA around 5. Gavin Floyd is not pitching well and who the hell knows with Ben Sheets. On the bright side you have a nice bunch of closers.
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fauthsie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for the replies...

So i should be looking for an outfielders and obviously youth... If you were too move people who would you look at moving??? Who do you think I would get the most bang for my buck for???
fauthsie
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Hit Factory » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:52 pm

Honestly, I might target a SP, you can get by with the outfielders you have but the starting pitching is a major issue. When Vlad comes back I would either deal him or Mark DeRosa. Target solid starters who aren't full blown stars, for example John Danks, Josh Johnson, Matt Cain, or to a lesser extent Kevin Slowey. Check the WW, is Buehrle, Lohse, or Justin Masterson available?
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rjwock07 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Hit Factory wrote:Honestly, I might target a SP, you can get by with the outfielders you have but the starting pitching is a major issue. When Vlad comes back I would either deal him or Mark DeRosa. Target solid starters who aren't full blown stars, for example John Danks, Josh Johnson, Matt Cain, or to a lesser extent Kevin Slowey. Check the WW, is Buehrle, Lohse, or Justin Masterson available?

I agree a lot with all of the posts, but I like HIt Factory's ideas on this post as well as his others I have seen. Well Done.

As far as what you need to do with this roster and being in a keeper league, you must address your weaknesses with a bunch of small trades and waiver/FA pickups. With more trades, you will have more opportunities to land a young high risk/high reward player.

Short term: address your SP

anyone help please: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=381446
"Great things come from the mind of a man who can be happy, but never satisfied."
rjwock07
College Coach
College Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fauthsie » Tue May 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Ok i have made a few moves.... not sure how they will work out...but we will see....here is my updated roster....Baker, Duncan and Francoeur on there until some of my players come off the DL... Am I smart to keep holding on to Sheets... He is due back sometime in July barring setbacks and he will at minimum make some interesting trade bait....

C John Baker (Fla - C)
1B Chris Duncan (StL - 1B,LF)
2B Plácido Polanco (Det - 2B)
3B Mark DeRosa (Cle - 2B,3B,LF,RF)
SS Michael Young (Tex - 3B,SS)
LF Raúl Ibañez (Phi - LF)
CF Willy Taveras Cin - CF)
RF Jeff Francoeur (Atl - RF)
Util Felipe López (Ari - 2B,3B,SS,LF)

BN Kevin Youkilis (Bos - 1B,3B) DL
BN Carlos Guillén(Det - 1B,3B,LF) DL
DL Ryan Doumit (Pit - C) DL