Bold prediction I'm sure to get ripped for.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bold prediction I'm sure to get ripped for....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bold prediction I'm sure to get ripped for....

Postby RyeWhiskey » Sun May 03, 2009 6:01 pm

I would use Zito as a spot starter at home. His splits in four starts this season, despite the small sample size, are huge.

H: 0-0, 7:3 K:BB, 2.03 ERA, 1.05 WHIP
A: 0-2, 8:6 K:BB, 10.00 ERA, 1.89 WHIP

Until he produces several QS on the road, I'll be using him sparingly.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B-Chad » Sun May 03, 2009 6:19 pm

I noticed that as well. However, I won't need several good road starts, likely just 1-2. My reasoning behind that is his ridiculous splits over a larger sample last year, where he was miserable at home and considerably better on the road. Like you said though, that is a HUGE disparity in home and road numbers, and he's definitely gonna have to show something on the road before anyone starting him in fantasy leagues. Thanks for the thoughts!
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Carnac » Mon May 04, 2009 12:15 am

I see we have the beginnings of another home/away, day/night debate coming on. Should be interesting.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby B-Chad » Wed May 06, 2009 1:38 am

Fangraphs has a sweet article on it's front page about Barry Zito. Just to summarize, the article discusses how successful Zito was at inducing pop outs in Oakland in his prime, something that though it appears lucky, may actually be a skill considering his consistantly being in the top of the league in inducing popups. The article goes on to say that along with the velocity drop his first two years in SF, he wasn't inducing pop ups at nearly the same rate. However, this year he is back to inducing a ton of pop ups, and though it's a small sample, couple that with his uptick in velocity again, and he might possibly be useful after all. Anyways, I didn't save the link, but I'll hyper link to fangraphs below and it's on the front page. Enjoy.

http://www.fangraphs.com
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bob_sacamano » Wed May 06, 2009 2:00 am

B-Chad wrote:Fangraphs has a sweet article on it's front page about Barry Zito. Just to summarize, the article discusses how successful Zito was at inducing pop outs in Oakland in his prime, something that though it appears lucky, may actually be a skill considering his consistantly being in the top of the league in inducing popups. The article goes on to say that along with the velocity drop his first two years in SF, he wasn't inducing pop ups at nearly the same rate. However, this year he is back to inducing a ton of pop ups, and though it's a small sample, couple that with his uptick in velocity again, and he might possibly be useful after all. Anyways, I didn't save the link, but I'll hyper link to fangraphs below and it's on the front page. Enjoy.

http://www.fangraphs.com

When Fausto Carmona was pitching lights out a while ago, everyone was attributing it to the fact that he led the majors in ground balls induced and succeeded because of it. I think this is def a skill and its a gameplan that rewards great control. Even though he's sitting 1-3, 6.11 ERA (like most Cleveland SPs began the season) he's got the tools and its hard to believe he'll continue to suck this bad.
bob_sacamano
T-Ball Trainer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers