Bold prediction I'm sure to get ripped for.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bold prediction I'm sure to get ripped for....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bold prediction I'm sure to get ripped for....

Postby B-Chad » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:14 pm

call me crazy (as you probably should :-b ) but I think Barry Zito will put together an ownable fantasy season as a 5th starter type in 12 team leagues or greater. Fangraphs had an awesome article about Barry Zito I read in December (here is the link http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... bust-label). Since reading that article I've kept tabs on Zito a little bit to start the year (it also helps he pitches for my favorite team :-D ). What I find promising about the start to the season for Zito (other then the 7 IP gem he threw this past week) is that his fastball velocity is sitting around 87 MPH, as opposed to around 85 MPH last year. Considering he opened last year throwing even slower then 85 MPH, I don't think it's unfathomable that Zito may be able to add 1-2 MPH to his fastball as the season progresses this year. If that's the case, an 87-89 MPH fastball with his slow 70-74 MPH curve ball could prove to be just what the doctor ordered for Zito. Being that he pitches in a great pitchers park, and his BB/9 is sitting around his '03-'04 range of under 4, maybe he posts a season 2005. Sure, that may seem wishful thinking, but maybe not, definitely someone I'm going to keep on my watch list, as he does have some banner seasons under his belt, and it would not completely surprise me if the drop in velocity the last 2 years was Zito hiding an injury after having signed (at the time) the biggest contract for a pitcher in league history.

Like I said, I'm sure I'm going to get ripped for this, but put me on record as saying that I think Zito is capable of posting a season line of (bold prediction time :-b ).... 14 wins 4.00 ERA 1.32 WHIP 165 K's making him ownable in 12 team leagues or greater.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bold prediction I'm sure to get ripped for....

Postby poo holes » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:20 pm

Call me nuts but I just picked him for his two starts this week!
poo holes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:45 pm

I don't mind him for a spot start type of guy but I have no interest in him as a full time starter for even my 14 team league.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Polar Bear » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:50 pm

poo holes wrote:Call me nuts but I just picked him for his two starts this week!

hmm, he has the Dodgers tomorrow...I think I will pass.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby B-Chad » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Polar Bear wrote:
poo holes wrote:Call me nuts but I just picked him for his two starts this week!

He did have two good starts against them last year... but I'm going to pass as well. Still could be a good gauge to see if I might be on to something. I'll be curious to see what the gun reads for his fastballs and see if he's able to attack the zone and limit his free passes. Also should be interesting to see if Pablo Sandoval suits up at catcher again.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:52 pm

I pass. Owned him when he was dynamite, didn't pay after that, and fell good enough to stay away.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby silverZ » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:59 pm

Not as bold as the thread about Zito being a possible HOF candidate. :-b
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby B-Chad » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:51 pm

silverZ wrote:Not as bold as the thread about Zito being a possible HOF candidate. :-b

lol, I actually went into a coughing fit reading that, my stomach hurts, I might have to check that thread out.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:17 pm

Polar Bear wrote:

Never thought I'd hear that again in my lifetime. :-S
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby B-Chad » Sun May 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Today's start makes another quality start for Zito. Watching his start he looked pretty sharp. The thing that I find most encouraging is that his velocity on his fastball was consistantly 85-88 MPH. Going into his start today Fangraphs had his average fastball at about 86.5 MPH, which is close to what it was at the tail end of his Oakland days. I'm going to stand by my assertion he was hiding an injury that resulted his drop in fastball velocity the last two years. If that's the case, I think Zito could be ownable this year. After a few starts now on the season, what do others think?
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers