He dropped WHO!? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

He dropped WHO!?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby jsphlly » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:23 am

chadlincoln wrote:Already talked about:

viewtopic.php?t=376924

jsphlly wrote:Mickey Mouse leagues. :-t

Sorry not all of us play in expert leagues like you obviously do. I'm tired of all the people around here who trash other owners because someone in their league makes a stupid move. All of a sudden, the leagues are trash and everyone in them has no clue what they're doing. I play in two leagues with family and friends who actually have a life other than studying fantasy baseball. So a big :-t to you and your perfect league(s).



lol, some of us have a life and don't have time for multiple leagues. Or better yet, time for a 3 page thread arguing about "elitists" %-6
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 882
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby swyck » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:19 am

chadlincoln wrote:Already talked about:

viewtopic.php?t=376924

jsphlly wrote:Mickey Mouse leagues. :-t

Sorry not all of us play in expert leagues like you obviously do. I'm tired of all the people around here who trash other owners because someone in their league makes a stupid move. All of a sudden, the leagues are trash and everyone in them has no clue what they're doing. I play in two leagues with family and friends who actually have a life other than studying fantasy baseball. So a big :-t to you and your perfect league(s).


Agreed. I guess everybody here plays in don't drop anybody leagues cause everybody is just a superstar in waiting. Talk about a bash the noobs post. :^
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby swyck » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:32 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
Precise wrote:I just think its lame and borderline pathetic to bash somebody who plays in a "mickey mouse" league. Obviously, people play fantasy sports for different reasons and some people are more passionate than others.

Back to the original topic. In my 10 team $50 buy-in "mickey mouse" league, one of the managers dropped David Ortiz....who I happily scooped up :-)


Ortiz is done.


You must be a Mickey Mouse league player. Don't you know no one drops anyone? You'll be ridiculed by the fantasy police. :-B
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby swyck » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:48 am

Pochucker wrote:This is interesting debate -- also unwinnable for either side. As someone else said anyone has a right to post anything basically. Everyone realizes people have different levels of interest in fantasy baseball. But it would seem to me that if you are regular contributor to this site then you must have fairly high level of interest in fantasy baseball. Thats where I start having a problem understanding people who do not want to play in competive leagues. To me It is no fun to crush people who dont have same interest or skill level. I understand that unfortanately there are many people who thrive and get off on that. I was always told that to get better at anything you must work/play with people better than you.
I have been in same league for 7 years and it gets better every year -- everyone has off year where family or professional matters prevent them from being as active as they need to be and that is understood, but if it continues more than a year then we remove that owner(doesent matter who it is) --with the caveat that if their situation changes they move to top of waiting list.

Very good points, but I don't think this thread has been about being competitive or active.

Some of the bashing I've seen seems to be along the lines of absolutely no one can be dropped. Leagues are called Mickey Mouse because Justin Upton has been dropped. Justin who? You mean the sub .200 hitter who is SUPPOSED to maybe be a superstar some day? So you need to keep him rotting on your bench even though your 2b is under performing and Aaron Hill is a FA? !+)

IMO context is everything. Leagues have different bench and roster sizes, and teams have changing needs, and players that were sleepers could just totally stink. If I already have 4 OF that are doing fine and Justin Upton was a sleeper pick at the end of the draft not even cracking my starting lineup, and I see a Gallaraga or Lind or Konerko or Hill or Downs that are available to fill a need on my team then Upton is gone! That is being competitive. Hanging on to someone because of pre-season hype is not being competitive.

Not meaning to bash you or anything, but since I responded to three posts in this link you can tell I'm more then a little bit annoyed by fantasy elitists, and WILL fire back at them at every opportunity. Off the Pigs! :-P %-6
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:20 am

swyck wrote:
Pochucker wrote:This is interesting debate -- also unwinnable for either side. As someone else said anyone has a right to post anything basically. Everyone realizes people have different levels of interest in fantasy baseball. But it would seem to me that if you are regular contributor to this site then you must have fairly high level of interest in fantasy baseball. Thats where I start having a problem understanding people who do not want to play in competive leagues. To me It is no fun to crush people who dont have same interest or skill level. I understand that unfortanately there are many people who thrive and get off on that. I was always told that to get better at anything you must work/play with people better than you.
I have been in same league for 7 years and it gets better every year -- everyone has off year where family or professional matters prevent them from being as active as they need to be and that is understood, but if it continues more than a year then we remove that owner(doesent matter who it is) --with the caveat that if their situation changes they move to top of waiting list.

Very good points, but I don't think this thread has been about being competitive or active.

Some of the bashing I've seen seems to be along the lines of absolutely no one can be dropped. Leagues are called Mickey Mouse because Justin Upton has been dropped. Justin who? You mean the sub .200 hitter who is SUPPOSED to maybe be a superstar some day? So you need to keep him rotting on your bench even though your 2b is under performing and Aaron Hill is a FA? !+)

IMO context is everything. Leagues have different bench and roster sizes, and teams have changing needs, and players that were sleepers could just totally stink. If I already have 4 OF that are doing fine and Justin Upton was a sleeper pick at the end of the draft not even cracking my starting lineup, and I see a Gallaraga or Lind or Konerko or Hill or Downs that are available to fill a need on my team then Upton is gone! That is being competitive. Hanging on to someone because of pre-season hype is not being competitive.

Not meaning to bash you or anything, but since I responded to three posts in this link you can tell I'm more then a little bit annoyed by fantasy elitists, and WILL fire back at them at every opportunity. Off the Pigs! :-P %-6


True... I should stay competitive by dumping Rollins who is struggling, for Marco Scutaro.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby Diamond Miners » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Yoda wrote:
swyck wrote:
Pochucker wrote:This is interesting debate -- also unwinnable for either side. As someone else said anyone has a right to post anything basically. Everyone realizes people have different levels of interest in fantasy baseball. But it would seem to me that if you are regular contributor to this site then you must have fairly high level of interest in fantasy baseball. Thats where I start having a problem understanding people who do not want to play in competive leagues. To me It is no fun to crush people who dont have same interest or skill level. I understand that unfortanately there are many people who thrive and get off on that. I was always told that to get better at anything you must work/play with people better than you.
I have been in same league for 7 years and it gets better every year -- everyone has off year where family or professional matters prevent them from being as active as they need to be and that is understood, but if it continues more than a year then we remove that owner(doesent matter who it is) --with the caveat that if their situation changes they move to top of waiting list.

Very good points, but I don't think this thread has been about being competitive or active.

Some of the bashing I've seen seems to be along the lines of absolutely no one can be dropped. Leagues are called Mickey Mouse because Justin Upton has been dropped. Justin who? You mean the sub .200 hitter who is SUPPOSED to maybe be a superstar some day? So you need to keep him rotting on your bench even though your 2b is under performing and Aaron Hill is a FA? !+)

IMO context is everything. Leagues have different bench and roster sizes, and teams have changing needs, and players that were sleepers could just totally stink. If I already have 4 OF that are doing fine and Justin Upton was a sleeper pick at the end of the draft not even cracking my starting lineup, and I see a Gallaraga or Lind or Konerko or Hill or Downs that are available to fill a need on my team then Upton is gone! That is being competitive. Hanging on to someone because of pre-season hype is not being competitive.

Not meaning to bash you or anything, but since I responded to three posts in this link you can tell I'm more then a little bit annoyed by fantasy elitists, and WILL fire back at them at every opportunity. Off the Pigs! :-P %-6


True... I should stay competitive by dumping Rollins who is struggling, for Marco Scutaro.


Just to be devil's advocate Yoda, I know your not comparing Rollins to Justin Upton. Ok, so he's suppose to be somebody, but how many times have we seen somebody not pan out? Quite often. Or maybe it's a shallow league and Upton while one person thinks Upton should be sat on, another doesn't. Or maybe a team realizes there's a guy that will help in SB and AVG while hitting less power then Upton on the WW; but they are unable to trade away Upton. If everybody thought the same, would anything be fun? There would be no need for a mock draft, because the players would already be lined out for us. Everybody is going to favor different people. And I go back to Verlander of last year. Just because somebody had a gut feel about Verlander last year and cut him early, does that make it a mickey mouse league? At the time of dropping Verlander, I'm 99% sure you (not specifically you, but everyone) would have said yes. Because many predicted him to be the only 20 game winner in baseball. So somebody can have a gut call about a sleeper or a breakout, but not about a guy struggling?

On the flip side, yes it's only the first month of the season. It's dumb to give up on somebody you spent such a high pick (for argument sake, let's say anything above a 12th round) unless they go down with an injury. You thought they would do something, give them time to do it. If they continue to struggling throughout all of May; sure give it some thought about dumping them.

And yes, some of these moves are lame, but just lumping them all into "mickey mouse" leagues is just as dumb as dropping your 5th round pick less then a month into the season because of a "slump". I think you have to partially wait and see how players work out, and who they picked up. It's really a league by league analysis.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1195
Joined: 24 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Pitcher's Mound

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby yossarian » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:44 pm

I just don't get it. If you're so elite and you're leagues are so elite, why are you wasting your time making a post that adds absolutely nothing to a thread you obviously consider to be below you? What is the point of a post like "Mickey Mouse league"? Is it that important to you to let us all know that you think you're higher up in the online fantasy baseball hierarchy than we are? Congratulations. You are. Good for you.

Elitist posts like that do nothing but hurt board participation by making people second guess asking questions, or answering them, because they're afraid they're going to be shouted down as fantasy baseball noobs or yelled at for playing in sub-par leagues.

As for me, I really, really want to drop Drew, Marmol, OR Webb, as we only have 2 DL spots and on my roster I'm currently carrying Lackey, Santana, Drew, Webb, and Marmol, all who are either on the DL or potentially DL bound (yay me missing the draft and getting these fellas autodrafted for me). Rollins and Drew are my 2 SSs and they're KILLING me and Bartlett keeps seeming more and more attractive as I'm in last place and falling fast.

Upton was dropped 2 weeks ago and is still sitting on the wire.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 2117
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:53 pm

yossarian wrote:Elitist posts like that do nothing but hurt board participation by making people second guess asking questions, or answering them, because they're afraid they're going to be shouted down as fantasy baseball noobs or yelled at for playing in sub-par leagues.


That's why you ignore people like Yoda's posts, because obviously he has a self-esteem problem and needs to feel better by belittling random people on a message board.

If you just pretend posts like those are blank you enjoy the cafe far,far more. ;-D ;-D ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby JMB05 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Gotta agree with the "Mickey Mouse League" posts. But with a big side comment.

I play in a big money league, this does not make me an elitist by any means. But if someone dropped B.J. Upton(as was posted) in the second week, I mean there would be mayhem in our league.
Like a previous poster stated, DL spots can make things very tricky, but that, I think, is a very special circumstance. If you have 1 DL spot and you have Webb and Peavy go on the DL one of them is getting dropped(obviously) but this thread, should be for Peavy dropped for no other reason than because he gave up 10 hits and 3 walks, that is Mickey Mouse.

If you play with friends and family for fun than that is alright by me, but it doesn't make dropping Chase Utley for Fernando Vina any less ridiculous. It also wouldn't make it very much fun IMO to play in a league where stuff like that happens. Because if you come in here to brag about all the players that were dropped in your league who you picked up, doesn't that also speak to the amateur nature of your league?

I don't know, people are pretty sensitive here this year.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 480
(Past Year: 15)
Joined: 15 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby Doughhead » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:02 pm

B-Chad wrote:
Padres Fan wrote:I do hate the guys who have ellitist attitudes, the ones who say "I have won my Dynasty league for the last 5 years, I stay away from public leagues, roto baseabll is childs play.
I agree, no need for elitist attitudes, but typically when I get a response like this I just shrug it off and realize on a popular forum like this you will have a wide variety of opinions and posts... besides I always get a chuckle out of posts like those bc I imagine these "dynasty leagues they win for 5 years" are typically populated by lame duck and casual fantasy gamers anyways, and that always makes me smile :-b


Yeah, there seem to be an inordinate number of perennial dynasty league champions kicking around. It bugs me, because it makes people question guys like me who really have won their expert league five years in a row. ;-)
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 4368
Joined: 6 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 16:29 hours
(and 96 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact