Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: He dropped WHO!?

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:46 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Already talked about:

viewtopic.php?t=376924

jsphlly wrote:Mickey Mouse leagues. :-t

Sorry not all of us play in expert leagues like you obviously do. I'm tired of all the people around here who trash other owners because someone in their league makes a stupid move. All of a sudden, the leagues are trash and everyone in them has no clue what they're doing. I play in two leagues with family and friends who actually have a life other than studying fantasy baseball. So a big :-t to you and your perfect league(s).

Doesn't even have to be expert leagues. I can't remember the last time some of these moves were made in Yahoo Winners Leagues. How can it be any fun when you can nab these guys off waivers?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Yoda wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=376924

Sorry not all of us play in expert leagues like you obviously do. I'm tired of all the people around here who trash other owners because someone in their league makes a stupid move. All of a sudden, the leagues are trash and everyone in them has no clue what they're doing. I play in two leagues with family and friends who actually have a life other than studying fantasy baseball. So a big :-t to you and your perfect league(s).

Doesn't even have to be expert leagues. I can't remember the last time some of these moves were made in Yahoo Winners Leagues. How can it be any fun when you can nab these guys off waivers?

I'm in an 8 team league with friends from college. Jay Bruce is currently on waivers. 6X6 settings. I don't have anyone to drop to pick him up with my OF. Not all of us play in super competitive leagues. Some of us play casually with friends or family. Let's stop bashing those that play casually. See Jim Rome's "softball guy" and "pickup basketball guy." I could think of a few items for the "fantasy sports guy" monologue. This would be on the list.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:16 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
Yoda wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=376924

I'm in an 8 team league with friends from college. Jay Bruce is currently on waivers. 6X6 settings. I don't have anyone to drop to pick him up with my OF. Not all of us play in super competitive leagues. Some of us play casually with friends or family. Let's stop bashing those that play casually. See Jim Rome's "softball guy" and "pickup basketball guy." I could think of a few items for the "fantasy sports guy" monologue. This would be on the list.

Not sure who you think you are but people are free to think whatever they want and post whatever they want. Especially when people post a message on a fantasy baseball forum, you have to expect critical posts.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chadlincoln » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:22 pm

Yoda wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Not sure who you think you are but people are free to think whatever they want and post whatever they want. Especially when people post a message on a fantasy baseball forum, you have to expect critical posts.

And to those critical posts, you also have to expect people to defend the ones that they are being criticized too, as I am now. I have no problem posting what they think, but if what they think causes me to be critical of what they say, then they have to take that as well. You call someone's league 'mickey mouse' because it's not to the level that you obviously think you play, you leave yourself open to criticism as well.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:28 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
Yoda wrote:Not sure who you think you are but people are free to think whatever they want and post whatever they want. Especially when people post a message on a fantasy baseball forum, you have to expect critical posts.

And to those critical posts, you also have to expect people to defend the ones that they are being criticized too, as I am now. I have no problem posting what they think, but if what they think causes me to be critical of what they say, then they have to take that as well. You call someone's league 'mickey mouse' because it's not to the level that you obviously think you play, you leave yourself open to criticism as well.

I agree. Except that we can probably all agree they play in a "Mickey Mouse" league.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Precise » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:38 pm

I just think its lame and borderline pathetic to bash somebody who plays in a "mickey mouse" league. Obviously, people play fantasy sports for different reasons and some people are more passionate than others.

Back to the original topic. In my 10 team $50 buy-in "mickey mouse" league, one of the managers dropped David Ortiz....who I happily scooped up :-)
Precise
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Diamond Miners » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:40 pm

viewtopic.php?t=376924

agreed, I play in a very tough and deep league but every once in awhile one owner will make a bad move. Either a bad dump or a bad trade.

What about the guy that dropped Verlander this early last season? At the time was that a mickey mouse league too? Maybe some people just think a player will not get out of the funk and decides to drop them.

Although some of these drops are pretty bad.
Last edited by Diamond Miners on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, feel free to PM me
DM

Minor League forum
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 pm

Precise wrote:I just think its lame and borderline pathetic to bash somebody who plays in a "mickey mouse" league. Obviously, people play fantasy sports for different reasons and some people are more passionate than others.

Back to the original topic. In my 10 team $50 buy-in "mickey mouse" league, one of the managers dropped David Ortiz....who I happily scooped up :-)

Ortiz is done.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pochucker » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:03 pm

This is interesting debate -- also unwinnable for either side. As someone else said anyone has a right to post anything basically. Everyone realizes people have different levels of interest in fantasy baseball. But it would seem to me that if you are regular contributor to this site then you must have fairly high level of interest in fantasy baseball. Thats where I start having a problem understanding people who do not want to play in competive leagues. To me It is no fun to crush people who dont have same interest or skill level. I understand that unfortanately there are many people who thrive and get off on that. I was always told that to get better at anything you must work/play with people better than you.
I have been in same league for 7 years and it gets better every year -- everyone has off year where family or professional matters prevent them from being as active as they need to be and that is understood, but if it continues more than a year then we remove that owner(doesent matter who it is) --with the caveat that if their situation changes they move to top of waiting list.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers