Any1 got LaPorta news??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Any1 got LaPorta news???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any1 got LaPorta news???

Postby cnasty » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:41 am

Cant find anywhere if he is supposed to come up any time soon or this year at all just wonderin if u guys know anything.
cnasty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any1 got LaPorta news???

Postby Spectrum » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:41 pm

Odds of him coming up are increasing. I still wouldn't expect to see him until June/July anyway, without a serious injury problem with the Indians.

Wedge has not said much of anything about him at all, or making a change. Simply because he's not a manager who likes to make big moves quickly. Neither is Shapiro, the GM. The Indians have let a lot of young, talented players sit in the minors for longer than they should have. And on the flip side, Brandon Phillips still hangs over the head of the organization. I really think that since he got away, they have been much more cautious about bringing guys up, leaving them in AA/AAA longer just to be careful not to blow it.

But there has been a lot of talk locally about LaPorta and even Michael Brantley possibly coming up to play Left. Francisco isn't producing much at all right now. They have Trevor Crowe/Sizemore/Choo and have thought about getting Garko in the OF more when Victor is at 1B and Shoppach catching. Oh, and David F'ing Delucci is still on this roster for some reason, on the DL at least.

So, bottom line, Francisco will have to continue to slump, then most likely lose PT to Crowe and possibly Garko, before LaPorta gets a shot at playing in the OF. Unless Hafner/Victor/Garko get hurt, I don't see LaPorta getting here until probably the ASB.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beezer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:05 pm

I've been waiting on LaPorta info also. Thanks Spectrum for the Cleveland inside word. I am hoping for June call-up but ASB will do.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Spectrum » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:18 pm

That's pretty much just speculation on my part, based on what is being said on local sports radio/tv, and what's being said by the GM and Manager (which isn't much).

So don't take it as a lock that he'll get an ASB call-up. I'm not 100% convinced he shows up before rosters expand.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AllDay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:32 am

Well he is a Scott Boras client - so I'm sure some in here will tell you he is still 3 years away at least because they don't want to start the clock ticking on him.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:05 am

lol. been watching the Wieters thread, huh?

I don't see that coming into play with the Indians. While a smaller market team, they're willing to spend $80 mil a year, which ranks pretty high on payroll in MLB.

They won't have any problem with signing him to a new contract in 2 years if that's the way it plays out.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:16 pm

still ripping up Triple-A Columbus haha...

Rotowire April 25th...

"LaPorta went 2-for-4 Friday with a home run.
Spin: He owns a .370/.443/.685 line with four home runs and a 5:5 K:BB in 54 at-bats for Triple-A Columbus. He will almost certainly be ready to play in Cleveland this season, but the trick will be to find a position for him to play on a daily basis."

really wish he could get a shot to show what he can do in the majors, but i personally don't for see that happening for quite some time unfortunately...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby beezer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:43 pm

From Rotoworld:

Indians manager Eric Wedge downplayed the idea Tuesday of promoting scorching prospect Matt LaPorta from Triple-A Columbus.

LaPorta boasts a .381/.452/.730 line in 63 at-bats thus far and would be an immediate upgrade on left fielder Ben Francisco, but Wedge isn't ready to make a change. "The reality is that the people here are the ones who have to make the difference for us," he said. "LaPorta is so young, just out of college. He's off to a good start, and his day will come."
Source: Akron Beacon Journal
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beezer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:52 pm

CBS is also reporting that LaPorta is no where near coming up. I am wondering if Wedge and the Indians are just playing the political card. June 1st seems a long ways away, hopefully that is the time! Of course, an injury could bump his arrival up too. :-*
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spectrum » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Wedge just likes and trusts old guys, whether they actually get it done or not.

Just look at the recent history of this organization. Between Shapiro and Wedge, when was the last time they brought a young player up? Jeremy Sowers a few years ago for a cup of coffee, only to have him become terrible over the next couple of seasons. Carmona, and try to make him a Closer after they sent Wickman to ATL...and he went 0-10 that year I think. Other than that, Sizemore and VMart are about it. Instead, they load the roster up with guys like Jason Michaels, David Dellucci, Trot Nixon, Jamey Carroll.

It's frustrating, being an Indians fan.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates