Bobby Abreu - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bobby Abreu

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bobby Abreu

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:17 am

I do not get many opportunities to watch this man work, being that most his games are played after my bedtime, but what's up with him so far this season?
Many of the worries coming into this season were concerning his age, and the number of stolen bases that he was capable of. Many projections saw a decline across the board for the veteran.
Stats-wise, it appears he's become a speed demon.
22/63 .349avg .408obp 8R 0HR 8RBI 8SB
Is this something that we can see continue throughout the season? Nice average with lower power numbers, but an extremely high # of stolen bases for Abreu? Does he appear faster, or is he running the bases more like a wiley ole veteran?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bobby Abreu

Postby rotoquest » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:28 am

Most of his games have been in pretty good weather or a dome instead of the AL East area where it has been colder. I'm sure the aging man's body & hamstrings feel more conducive to running in those conditions. As for his power, I have no doubt that he'll hit 20 hr again this year.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Carnac » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:23 am

Abreu doesn't have the raw speed he had when he was younger. What he does have is the ability to read pitchers, get a good jump and pick his spots well. Scioscia is an aggressive manager. If Abreu stays healthy he may just get to 30-35. If he does he is worth his weight in gold.

good luck
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:58 pm

i figured coming into the season that Abreu could run since the Angels do tend to run alot, but i was concerned with Abreu batting infront of Vlad how often he would get to run because Vlad tends to swing at anything and i wasnt sure Vlad would take a pitch when Abreu was trying to steal.
i think the SB will be there, but im curious as to how any HR people think he could have? i would think 15-20 but not likely more than 20?
his career numbers at Angels Stadium prior to this season in 15 games played was- .210 AVG/ .269 OBP/ .290 SLG/ .559 OPS/ ..but that might also have to do with the Angels pitching and not the stadium.
hes going to be playing an unbalanced schedule with more games in the AL West at places like Safeco in Seattle and in McAfee Coliseum Oakland which are not good for HR? ..allthough that hasnt stopped Vlad from putting up big power numbers.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Merlin401 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:57 pm

Barring injury I'm saying... 33 steals, 13 homers. Not exactly what I thought I was drafting. But as it turns out, almost exactly what my team needs! Hope this continues and hope I'm right
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:02 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i figured coming into the season that Abreu could run since the Angels do tend to run alot, but i was concerned with Abreu batting infront of Vlad how often he would get to run because Vlad tends to swing at anything and i wasnt sure Vlad would take a pitch when Abreu was trying to steal.

The Angels like to play hit and run, which means that even if Vlad is right behind Abreu when he's on base, he can get his chances. You're right, though, about Vlad not making great contact in those situations.

SpecialFNK wrote:i think the SB will be there, but im curious as to how any HR people think he could have? i would think 15-20 but not likely more than 20?

Angel Stadium is a bit harder for lefties to hit for the fences, especially when hitting it to right-center with the scoreboard wall and the night conditions. I'd be surprised to see Abreu hit over 20 unless he makes up for it away and I see him settling within the 15-20 HR mark.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Carnac » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:38 pm

I agree with 15-20 hr. Big A is tough to hit HR at night.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby silverZ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm

I think 35 steals are a lot more likely than 20 HR at this point. Angels stadium is tough for left handed power hitters.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Irish » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:13 am

I think he quietly gets the same type of numbers that you will get from BJ Upton, but that is because I don't think Upton gets any more then 25 HRs. If Abreu gets 100 runs, 95 RBI, 17 HRs, and 35 SBs, then that seems like 3rd round numbers to me.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:16 am

Irish wrote:I think he quietly gets the same type of numbers that you will get from BJ Upton, but that is because I don't think Upton gets any more then 25 HRs. If Abreu gets 100 runs, 95 RBI, 17 HRs, and 35 SBs, then that seems like 3rd round numbers to me.

and I would be stupid happy with those numbers! :-) ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers