Mike Hampton: what if he's for real? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Hampton: what if he's for real?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Hampton: what if he's for real?

Postby chem » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:16 pm

Through 3 starts, Mike Hampton (Astros) has an ERA of 3.12, WHIP of 1.27, K/9 of 9.35 and FIP of 2.34. All great stats. No doubt the K/9 and FIP have to regress; he was never that big of a strikeout guy.

But what if the ERA and WHIP only mildly regress? I mean, he's a past ace and may actually be fully healthy. Comeback player of the year? If you think he has a reasonable chance at this route, what is his value? Hampton over Kuroda? Hampton over Blanton? Hampton over Jordan Zimmermann? Hampton over Sean Marshall?

The most notable thing about his stats so far is that his BABIP is .341 -- in other words, (mildly) unluckily high. That suggests his WHIP and ERA are not total flukes.

He faces an interesting test against a slugging-loaded Brewers lineup tomorrow. Post here with your thoughts (o)
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mike Hampton: what if he's for real?

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:10 pm

Nothing really changed in his velocity which is down compared to his prime if anything. I'm gonna guess it is just a 3 game fluke but if you already picked him up might as well see what he does in the next few games.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby smoovethug » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 pm

I really can't take him seriously until he proves to me that he's capable of staying healthy.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:53 pm

Ender wrote:Nothing really changed in his velocity which is down compared to his prime if anything. I'm gonna guess it is just a 3 game fluke but if you already picked him up might as well see what he does in the next few games.

His velocity is down but he's only using his fastball 33.4% of the time according to fangraphs. Probably not a good idea in terms of long term health.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby ayebatter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote: Probably not a good idea in terms of long term health.

Ha !! Hampton and 'long term Health' used in the same sentence. ;-D I say go out there and throw that breaking stuff Hampton, your name is back in the news, and it's all good. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby J35J » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Any pitcher who is at least decent and throwing well and in the NL gets a look from me. I picked him up before his last start and will continue to play matchups with him until he falls off....which is likely. But he's pitching decent and in the NL so I'll ride it a few more starts.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:56 pm

Mike Hampton is not a figment of your imagination, I met him one when he played for Colorado, so I can state that he is a real live human being, he is also a decent baseball player but fantasy wise probably good as a daily pick up or injury plug in.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Ender » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:11 pm

He only gave up 4 ER tonight but it was a bit deceiving, the Brewers were hitting rockets all over the field tonight including one that hit Hart to save a run. This could have easily been a 6 or 7 ER game for him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby silverZ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:34 pm

There isn't any way you could convince me to pick up Hampton in any league. I would rather have an empty SP slot.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby chem » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:16 am

He was also left in a little longer than probably wise, because the pitcher was coming up 4th in the order in the bottom of the sixth. 3 of his ER came in that top of the sixth, when his pitch count was up. Not a stellar outing, but really, not horrible either. I think he has value in NL Only leagues.
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers