Return to General Talk

NFL Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: NFL Draft

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:53 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Don't tell me you'd rather have Sanchez.

I don't want them to take either QB #1 overall. Too much wasted money. If they traded down to the high single digits and took one I wouldn't mind, but a $60+ million committment for the hardest position to fill scares the heck out of me. There's no impact player really, but they need an upgrade at 11 positions on defense, so I'd rather see them take Curry.

That said, I'll still buy a Stafford jersey. My Joey Harrington and Charlie Batch ones need company.

On Mike and Mike today, they went through every first overall pick ever and found there was a higher success rate at QB than almost any other repeatedly chosen position. The idea is that a lot of first overall picks fail period and that the idea that QBs are more volatile than any other position is misguided.

As long as there is a decent OT available at 20 (who knows), then I am liking Stafford at 1. He's run a closer to pro-style offense than Sanchez and has sustained his success for more than a handful of games. He doesn't have knee issues and is the perfect type of quarterback to pair with Calvin Johnson. He also carried UGA to a decent record last season on a team that basically re-wrote the injury record book. I don't think he's getting enough due as a prospect personally. The "Sanchez went to USC so he's going to succeed/he had a great game against Penn State in the Rose Bowl so he's awesome" thing is getting overblown IMO, but whatever.

Huh? USC's offense totally mirrors a pro style offense. :-?

EDIT: And I'm not saying Georgia doesn't run a pro style too, I'm just saying. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:40 pm

bigken117 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
bigken117 wrote:It makes me sad the Lions are going to invest so much money in Stafford :-/ All I see is Alex Smith, not Matt Ryan. I hope I'm wrong. They need to fix that line, or he's going to spend more time on his back than your least favorite member's mom.

Don't tell me you'd rather have Sanchez.

I don't want them to take either QB #1 overall. Too much wasted money. If they traded down to the high single digits and took one I wouldn't mind, but a $60+ million committment for the hardest position to fill scares the heck out of me. There's no impact player really, but they need an upgrade at 11 positions on defense, so I'd rather see them take Curry.

That said, I'll still buy a Stafford jersey. My Joey Harrington and Charlie Batch ones need company.

i didnt know you were a Lions fan
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:18 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
bigken117 wrote:That said, I'll still buy a Stafford jersey. My Joey Harrington and Charlie Batch ones need company.

Oh yeah. I'm still a Pats fan too. But Because Barry. Is. The. Best. Ever. [/arguement] I followed the Lions for so long because of him, I cannot shake them. I thought I'd be able to.
I always meant to take a picture and use it as a sig, but I live in Mass, I have a Fire Millen bumper sticker. So does my wife. And was she pissed when she saw it :-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:28 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
On Mike and Mike today, they went through every first overall pick ever and found there was a higher success rate at QB than almost any other repeatedly chosen position. The idea is that a lot of first overall picks fail period and that the idea that QBs are more volatile than any other position is misguided.

As long as there is a decent OT available at 20 (who knows), then I am liking Stafford at 1. He's run a closer to pro-style offense than Sanchez and has sustained his success for more than a handful of games. He doesn't have knee issues and is the perfect type of quarterback to pair with Calvin Johnson. He also carried UGA to a decent record last season on a team that basically re-wrote the injury record book. I don't think he's getting enough due as a prospect personally. The "Sanchez went to USC so he's going to succeed/he had a great game against Penn State in the Rose Bowl so he's awesome" thing is getting overblown IMO, but whatever.

A couple days ago M&M also went through QB's taken #1 overall, and (excluding JaMarcus) found a less than 50% success rate of playable QB for the team that drafted them. There are three arguements to be made, Plunkett (moreso) and Vinny were dependable starters during their career, and if Vick wasn't such a knucklehead things would be different, but his actions hurt Atl financially.
Hits - Bradshaw, Elway, Aikman, Bledsoe, P. Manning, Palmer, E. Manning
Misses - Plunkett, Bartowski, Testaverde, George, Couch, Vick, Carr, Alex Smith

The only thing that has me hopeful over anything is that Millen is not running things. :-°

Play Pick 3!

Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:47 pm

The Lions will in fact take Stafford, they reached a six year $78 million deal.

Linkage
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby bigken117 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:56 pm

Metroid wrote:The Lions will in fact take Stafford, they reached a six year $78 million deal.

Linkage

ESPN
In anticipation of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford's contract with Detroit, I put together an unofficial list of the NFL players with the most guaranteed money in their contracts.

This is what things have come to: Stafford, who has never played a down in the NFL, just set the league record for guaranteed money. His $41.7 million surpasses the $41 million Washington gave Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth during free agency.

Here is the list I compiled, which includes Haynesworth and six quarterbacks:

1. Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford: $41.7 million
2. Washington defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth: $41 million
3. Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick: $37 million
4. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger: $36 million
5. Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan: $34.8 million
6. Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning: $34.5 million
7. Oakland quarterback JaMarcus Russell: $31.5 million
8. Dallas quarterback Tony Romo: $30 million

:-o

Play Pick 3!

Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:58 pm

It's insane, that's just too much guaranteed money to give an unproven player. There really needs to be a rookie cap, you should have to earn your big payday. Getting over 40 million dollars for being a good college athlete is just silly. :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:08 am

bigken117 wrote:
Metroid wrote:The Lions will in fact take Stafford, they reached a six year $78 million deal.

Linkage

ESPN
In anticipation of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford's contract with Detroit, I put together an unofficial list of the NFL players with the most guaranteed money in their contracts.

This is what things have come to: Stafford, who has never played a down in the NFL, just set the league record for guaranteed money. His $41.7 million surpasses the $41 million Washington gave Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth during free agency.

Obviously ridiculous. Nice insight.
Although I have to admit Stafford looked pretty darn good in college. He definitely suffered from having poor receivers and an awful offensive line most of the time he was at Georgia. So I defend the pick, but the money - christ.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:49 am

bigken117 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
bigken117 wrote:That said, I'll still buy a Stafford jersey. My Joey Harrington and Charlie Batch ones need company.

Oh yeah. I'm still a Pats fan too. But Because Barry. Is. The. Best. Ever. [/arguement] I followed the Lions for so long because of him, I cannot shake them. I thought I'd be able to.
I always meant to take a picture and use it as a sig, but I live in Mass, I have a Fire Millen bumper sticker. So does my wife. And was she pissed when she saw it :-D

you should check out the Lions forum at the football cafe...it's always full of discussion
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thedude » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:21 am

bigken117 wrote:

Linkage

ESPN

That is the reason no one wants picks in the top 5. Way too much money involved. It is funny because the only time the players have the upper hand in NFL negotiations is before they play a down in the league.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk