Okay. I've just got to vent. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Okay. I've just got to vent.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Okay. I've just got to vent.

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:58 am

If you like pitchers who can bunt, you would love Ryan Dempster.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Padres Fan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:54 pm

It's the Steroid era, its all about hitting the longball
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Spartans Rule » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:46 am

Matthias wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:i would rather have a player at 2nd base with 1 out than 1st base with 0 out.

Then you must not like scoring runs. A man on 1st with no outs is more likely to generate a run, or has a higher average run expectancy anyway, than a man on 2nd with one out.

See here and here.

Bunting, unless you're in a close game late, is generally stupid and a waste of an out.

Interesting charts.

I always felt like bunting with men on 1st and 2nd with no out was a decent proposition because you can move two men up a base in exchange for only one out, but the numbers say even that is inefficient.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:54 am

Spartans Rule wrote:
Matthias wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:i would rather have a player at 2nd base with 1 out than 1st base with 0 out.

Then you must not like scoring runs. A man on 1st with no outs is more likely to generate a run, or has a higher average run expectancy anyway, than a man on 2nd with one out.

See here and here.

Bunting, unless you're in a close game late, is generally stupid and a waste of an out.

Interesting charts.

I always felt like bunting with men on 1st and 2nd with no out was a decent proposition because you can move two men up a base in exchange for only one out, but the numbers say even that is inefficient.

Generally I would agree with Matthias, especially in the American League where you have a DH. But when you have a pitcher who will most likely strike out or ground into a double play I would bunt the runner over.

I was watching the Sox and Yankees last night and one of the guys thought that Nick Green should bunt Varitek over which doesn't make any sense at all since Varitek has 0 speed and would be thrown unless the bunt was perfect. Green went on to strikeout. I still would not have tried to bunt Varitek over though.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:24 am

I think bunting is a basic baseball fundamental, it helps a batter reconize the ball, being thrown. I used to coach liitle league and middle school baseball, but sick of parents yelling at me cuz I was teaching bunting skills and not how to hit homeruns. I told them that their precious lil ones needed to learn contact, before they could drive the ball, but dads who never had any athletic talent thought they could do better than a High School All State, 2 Year college player and a ex minor leaguer (2 years). IMO Bunting is a very importnat skill, sometimes when a mahnager sends a player to bunt he is also trying to scout the pitchers movement.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:19 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Ender wrote:I will take this opportunity to comment on how amazing Brewer pitchers have been at the plate so far this year. A .571 OPS not including the single by Bush today and almost flawless in SH situations so far though with Kendall up 8th they haven't had many.

Now if they could just pitch well they would be on to something. :-D

Since this comment they have a 2.78 ERA not including the 9 IP and 1 ER from tonight. In their last 9 games they have a sub 2.50 ERA and are 8-1. This might not be the best rotation in baseball but it is a very competitive one. They have 5 above replacement level pitchers with probably 4 of them being at least #3 quality and a decent but not amazing bullpen.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:33 pm

kab21 wrote:How can you be so critical of pitchers when there is a significant portion of position players that are terrible bunters?

Ken Griffey Sr. always said he was most proud of his ability to bunt... there's no one like that anymore.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Carnac » Wed May 06, 2009 7:42 am

Anyone who thinks bunting can't be used as an offensive weapon needs to watch the Angels. Chone Figgins just in the last week has used the bunt to score runs. Laid down one of the prettiest drag bunts, with runners in scoring position, i have seen. RBI single and kept a rally going. In another game, batting right handed, pushed a bunt passed the pitcher toward the second baseman and by the time the 2B got to the ball he was already on first base. Both of those bunts were beautiful to watch.

Nice chart with scoring probabilities by Matthias. But, I think it misses the point. Would you rather your pitcher strike out, leaving a man at first with one out? Or even worse, ground into a double play? I think if more pitchers could bunt well, a man on second with one out is preferable to having him on first with one out.

There are situations where a bunt can be used effectively. I think a good manager knows when a bunt can be a useful weapon.

Just ask Mike Scioscia.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Wed May 06, 2009 8:10 am

Now if he only knew when to play his stud prospect rookie instead of DHing a utility IF.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Carnac » Wed May 06, 2009 10:42 am

I take it you own Wood. Aybar and Isturis have been been solid so far this season. Wood will get his shot. Be patient.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers