Okay. I've just got to vent. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Okay. I've just got to vent.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Okay. I've just got to vent.

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:13 am

Polar Bear wrote:
except for Crisp. One of the best bunters I have seen in awhile.

True, guys who can get hits with bunts make more sense doing it. As a Brewers fan I don't mind too much when Hart bunts since he is pretty good at it and he is fast. I don't mind when Kendall bunts since he is terrible and grounds into tons of double plays. Counsell is acceptable as well. Obviously pitchers are fine for bunting too, though I prefer Gallardo hits away since he is such a good hitter. Pretty much the rest of the team it is dumb to bunt with pretty much in every situation. You run expectancy goes down by giving up an out for a base.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:12 am

Ender wrote:I will take this opportunity to comment on how amazing Brewer pitchers have been at the plate so far this year. A .571 OPS not including the single by Bush today and almost flawless in SH situations so far though with Kendall up 8th they haven't had many.

Now if they could just pitch well they would be on to something. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:32 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Now if they could just pitch well they would be on to something. :-D

6 of their last 7 starts have been QS and there R/G is approaching league average now even with the miserable first 2 weeks, they will be an average or better rotation~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Ender wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Now if they could just pitch well they would be on to something. :-D

6 of their last 7 starts have been QS and there R/G is approaching league average now even with the miserable first 2 weeks, they will be an average or better rotation~.

I have my doubts a staff of Gallardo, Parra, Suppan, Bush and Looper will be better than average rotation.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:07 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
I have my doubts a staff of Gallardo, Parra, Suppan, Bush and Looper will be better than average rotation.

You shouldn't, the only real question is how good Parra will be. People tend to overrate the average rotation.

Lets say every pitcher puts up their career ERA this season, the rotation looks like this.

Suppan - 4.66
Looper - 4.40 (only counted starting ERA)
Parra - 4.57
Gallardo - 3.49
Bush - 4.43

The average SP in the NL last year had an ERA of 4.41. So it is a rotation of league average starters with Gallardo being above average and Suppan likely below average. If Parra breaks out or Bush keeps doing what he has since the all star break of last year when he changed his mechanics some then they are above average most likley.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Matthias » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:19 am

SpecialFNK wrote:i would rather have a player at 2nd base with 1 out than 1st base with 0 out.

Then you must not like scoring runs. A man on 1st with no outs is more likely to generate a run, or has a higher average run expectancy anyway, than a man on 2nd with one out.

See here and here.

Bunting, unless you're in a close game late, is generally stupid and a waste of an out.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:35 am

Ender wrote:You shouldn't, the only real question is how good Parra will be. People tend to overrate the average rotation.

Lets say every pitcher puts up their career ERA this season, the rotation looks like this.

Suppan - 4.66
Parra - 4.57
Gallardo - 3.49
Bush - 4.43

The average SP in the NL last year had an ERA of 4.41. So it is a rotation of league average starters with Gallardo being above average and Suppan likely below average. If Parra breaks out or Bush keeps doing what he has since the all star break of last year when he changed his mechanics some then they are above average most likley.

I think Bush will be average with Suppan and Looper being below average. Parra and Gallardo are still wildcards IMO.
Who is the replacement starter? Because Bush is the only one I expect to approach 200 IP.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:59 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Ender wrote:You shouldn't, the only real question is how good Parra will be. People tend to overrate the average rotation.

Suppan - 4.66
Parra - 4.57
Gallardo - 3.49
Bush - 4.43

I think Bush will be average with Suppan and Looper being below average. Parra and Gallardo are still wildcards IMO.
Who is the replacement starter? Because Bush is the only one I expect to approach 200 IP.

Ben Sheets FTW
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:27 am

Who is the replacement starter?

Most people say Seth McClung but my money is on Mike DiFelice who has learned a change up in the minors recently and has been lights out since. His big issue was always not being able to get lefties out but the change up really changes things for him. Will Carrol said Gallardo should be fine for close to 200 IP because he was able to keep his arm strength up since the injury was to his knee, Parra should be fine for like 175. Suppan has only been hurt once in recent history so you have to expect him to be somewhere near175-190.

The rotation is just underrated because nobody likes an 'average pitcher'. What they don't have is a replacement level pitcher which the majority of rotations in baseball do have and some teams like the Orioles have 3 of them!
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:57 am

Ender wrote:
Who is the replacement starter?

Most people say Seth McClung but my money is on Mike DiFelice who has learned a change up in the minors recently and has been lights out since. His big issue was always not being able to get lefties out but the change up really changes things for him. Will Carrol said Gallardo should be fine for close to 200 IP because he was able to keep his arm strength up since the injury was to his knee, Parra should be fine for like 175. Suppan has only been hurt once in recent history so you have to expect him to be somewhere near175-190.

The rotation is just underrated because nobody likes an 'average pitcher'. What they don't have is a replacement level pitcher which the majority of rotations in baseball do have and some teams like the Orioles have 3 of them!

You mean Mark DiFelice.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers