Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 3 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 3

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 3

Postby WebHamster » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:25 am

This thread contains comments on the Cafe's "Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 3 ", which was posted in the Cafe's Player Rankings section by AquaMan2342 on April 23, 2009. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 482)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 3

Postby Bonger » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:01 am

I was surprised to see Carlos Pena and Edwin Jackson not climb into the rankings. Do you think their starts are unsustainable or are you taking a wait and see approach? How many weeks of success will it take for them to convince you that they deserve a mention?

Any thoughts on this would be very helpful.
Last edited by Bonger on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LouSluggers » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:18 pm

I agree with Bonger - the absence of Pena from the 1B list is surprising. The inclusion of Atkins is even more surprising.
LouSluggers
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hot4tx » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:04 am

Is Ibanez not a top-40 OF? I don't expect him to hit .345 all season but he's a pretty sure bet for an 85/25/110/.290 season and you can very reasonably hope for a 90/30/115/.295 season with R+RBI upside on top of that. Not that much worse than Jason Bay even.

/edit: oops I just saw him. Still ranked low IMO, but at least he's on there. sry
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby drtodddds » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:53 am

LOL I like how you nearly quoted me directly from the Week 2 comments for Kinsler! I saw him play this weekend in Baltimore and this guy is a stud, and is no question the best offense fantasy player in baseball now. I see no reason why he can't sustain that for the year short of injuries.

A basic question to clarify your rankings for me....
They seem to be your rankings for players based on projections for the rest of the year while taking into account recent play. Correct? Not merely rankings based on year to date accomplishments. So you are simply tweaking your preseason rankings for end of the year projections based on recent play? I'm curious how you place your altered player rankings? Taking into account changes such as injuries, fast starts, solid starts by players expected to perform well vs those not expected to, slow starts by players you expect to outperform their recent poor showings.

I'm asking this because it's easy to get fooled into thinking hot starts can translate into solid season stats, while sorting out suprisingly hot starts by player who legitimately can sustain it. Players come to mind such as Inge, C. Pena, A. Hill, Bartlett, Kemp, Ethier, Greinke, Billingsly, Bedard, Broxton, Bell, Franklin. I know how I FEEL about these players and whether I think they'll hold up numbers for the year based on my own preseason expectations. How do you go about making that determination?

Thanks again for taking the time to make these rankings!
drtodddds
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Tis » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Next time around I think you finally have to give A-Gon some love, even on the Padres, he's better than the 9th best 1B. 4th best in yahoo rank, BEFORE the 2 HR game today. Tied for the HR lead in the league, and he's even stolen a base.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Smipims » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:10 pm

Where's Derrek Lee?

O wait top 15 nevermind.
~Smipims~
Smipims
College Coach
College Coach