Rafael Soriano getting saves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Rafael Soriano getting saves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rafael Soriano getting saves

Postby wildbill » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Rafael Soriano got save number 2 tonight. Mike Gonzalez only has one save. Soriano has been lights out this season and Gonzalez has a 5.68 ERA and 1.58 WHIP. Perhaps there is a shift going on to Soriano as the closer or at least sharing the job. Below are some comments from Yahoo:
Wed, Apr 22
Soriano threw a scoreless ninth inning with two strikeouts to earn his second save in Wednesday's win over Washington. Mike Gonzalez pitched in the eighth inning to get the win.

Recommendation: Soriano got the nod over Gonzalez when the Braves wanted to bring a left-handed pitcher in to face left-handed Adam Dunn in the eighth inning. This could be a sign the closer role may be split between the two players, and Soriano may have more upside if both are healthy since Gonzalez may be used earlier in games against left-handed batters.
(Rotowire.com)

Wed, Apr 22
Gonzalez was used in the eighth inning against a left-handed batter in Wednesday's win over Washington. He retired the only batter he faced to get the win, but Rafael Soriano threw a scoreless ninth inning to get the save.

Recommendation: This is a bad development for Gonzalez's fantasy value as it looks like the closer role has started to be shared with Soriano. And with Gonzalez likely to come into games against key lefties, he may get fewer saves than Soriano (if both can stay healthy).
(Rotowire.com)
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rafael Soriano getting saves

Postby coleman1027 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:31 pm

I jumped on him in 2 of my leagues, one which includes the Hold category.........
Nice 5th closer for 1 league (hopefully)....and in the holds league I dropped Kuo for him.....I might have too many closers in that league though.....with Hoffman coming of the DL soon.....that gives me 7 8-o
coleman1027
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rafael Soriano getting saves

Postby Hit Factory » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:19 am

In my league saves are like gold, getting a potential closer off the WW is a rarity since people in my league seem to know who will be named a teams new closer before ESPN lol. However I was lucky enough to grab Rafael Soriano last week, just looking for a solid reliever to help balance out my teams peripherals, plus I was really lacking in saves. Now I see that Soriano might be possibly sharing the closing duties with Gonzalez, I was pretty damn excited!
Hit Factory
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates