Ricky Nolasco - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ricky Nolasco

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ricky Nolasco

Postby swyck » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:53 pm

DbacksRback wrote:Don't see how you can call it comedy considering he was a top 15 SP last year going by his numbers. I would much rather take a chance of holding onto him rather give a random ww pitcher a shot. I have him in two leagues and never even thought about dropping him. Just isnt worth it,

IMO there's nothing wrong with taking a chance on him, I'm considering it myself. However I don't believe this was in any way a baby step forward or any reason for optimism.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nolanwood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:18 pm

swyck wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:Don't see how you can call it comedy considering he was a top 15 SP last year going by his numbers. I would much rather take a chance of holding onto him rather give a random ww pitcher a shot. I have him in two leagues and never even thought about dropping him. Just isnt worth it,

IMO there's nothing wrong with taking a chance on him, I'm considering it myself. However I don't believe this was in any way a baby step forward or any reason for optimism.

No baby step forward?

His previous outing: 2 innings, 8 runs

And the one before that: 3.2 innings, 8 runs
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:37 pm

nolanwood wrote:It appears his next two starts are on the road (Toronto and Boston) - hopefully the progress continues.

That's a brutal schedule. I suppose if he can manage quality starts in those two games, he'll gain a lot of believers.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:09 pm

schmidty wrote:
nolanwood wrote:It appears his next two starts are on the road (Toronto and Boston) - hopefully the progress continues.

That's a brutal schedule. I suppose if he can manage quality starts in those two games, he'll gain a lot of believers.

+1

I picked him up for the SF start but dropped him again(Valverde should be back this weekend so I picked up CJ Wilson to hopefully vulture some saves till Valverde comes back) cause this is a brutal stretch. I do agree that the bandwagon will pick up steam if he pitches well.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:26 am

DbacksRback wrote:
facts wrote:He will be back, and he will dominate again. His peripherals are all out of wack, I'm picking him up.

i agee i have him in both my money leagues. Its such a waste to drop him for someone on the WW if you have any kind of roster depth. What you invested in him probably make sense to hold. And if/when he turns it around he can be very solid

Like I said before... made no sense to think about dropping him ;-D

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby markj11 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:27 am

chem wrote:
Splendid61 wrote:I didn't see the game either, but I'm concerned that 6 of the 10 hits Nolasco gave up went for extra bases... all doubles. The earned runs could have been a lot worse if a few of those doubles were HR's instead (especially considering the 3 walks). I wonder if they were hard hit line drives or just grounders down the line. I guess the positive is Nolasco was able to get out of jams... finally regressing his strand rate. But allowing 13 baserunners to the worst OBP team in the NL is concerning.

Yeah it's kind of hilarious that people are looking to pick up Nolasco after this start. We know how bad he was earlier in the year, but here are some numbers from just this past start:

WHIP 1.857
OPS against .946
ISO against .207
SO/BB 1.33
SO/9 5.1

Against a _bad_ offensive team. And now people are rushing to pick him up again? Comedy, pure comedy. I hear Antonio Bastardo is available in most leagues...

Pure comedy.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Carnac » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Dropped him when he was assigned to minors. Picked him back up as soon as he was brought back up. Lucky guess, but figured his upside higher than anyone else available.

Nolasco ftw.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby swyck » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:01 pm

DbacksRback wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:
facts wrote:He will be back, and he will dominate again. His peripherals are all out of wack, I'm picking him up.

i agee i have him in both my money leagues. Its such a waste to drop him for someone on the WW if you have any kind of roster depth. What you invested in him probably make sense to hold. And if/when he turns it around he can be very solid

Like I said before... made no sense to think about dropping him ;-D

I was able to pick him back up in every league I dropped him in. If you have roster depth its one thing, but if you don't then there is no room for someone heading for the minors unless you have no injuries or other unproductive players. I kept an eye on his starts while he was in the minors, and waited two starts to pick him back up.

Sorry, but I'm not in the keep players forever no matter what school of thought.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Reeron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:15 am

As soon as he hit the waiver-wire, I rushed to pick him up. Looking at the numbers (at the time he was sent to the minors), and not just the era and whip, I saw a 37:13 K:BB ratio with a ridiculous .444 BABIP against and a strand rate at I believe 62% with a fastball still around 94-95 (which is right where he normally is at). He wasn't pitching that poorly, just getting (really really) poor results (and being very unlucky as the .444 BABIP shows). The league average for BABIP is around .290-.300, and strand rate is about 75% so I figured he would regress to the mean as the season continued (barring injury). His velocity was still good, and his K:BB ratio was still way above average, so unless you thought he was injured he was worth holding onto even when in the minors (unless your league has no bench, then you would be forced to cut him as you couldn't have a zero in your active lineup each week and expect to win). If he would have been hammered down in the minors, then cutting him would have been the thing to do. Personally, I would have waited to see how he did in that 1st minor league start before deciding what to do with him. But as soon as he dominated down there, I believed he was going to be just fine. Sure glad someone else dropped him as I needed someone to replace Brett Myers.
Reeron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks to this site, I read about the strange stats and picked him up in my Dynasty league. Let him sit on my bench and now I can't be happier.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates