DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Speedy Josh Anderson

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:23 am

Thames is now expected to be out for a couple months or more. It is (un)officially time to consider Anderson more seriously. Larish has really struggled, but he'll still get some PT against righties. Raburn is going to play against all lefties. I'd say Anderson will get a shot to start about 60% of the time. In really deep leagues with limited options, he could still be a SB factor in games he doesn't start if you have to leave him in your lineup. Again, this could change if/when Thames comes back or if Anderson struggles to bat over .265, but i don't think that he is in great danger of that.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:59 am

mac-unit wrote:difference is. Fowler went in the 15th round(after 6 keepers) of my 20 team keeper league. I got Anderson off WW after the first week. Anderson is the same type of player as Ellsbury, I think the Braves will regret trading him instead of keeping him for LF.

No team will ever regret not making Josh Anderson their starting LF. His steals could make him a decent fantasy player if he gets enough ABs, but he's not a starter on even an average ML team, least of all in LF.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:40 pm

one plate appearance tonight so far, and he has an infield single and another SB. that is 4 SB with 20 AB so far. he's batting .400 with a .478 OBP and a .550 SLG (3 of 8 hits are doubles).
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mac-unit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:21 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
mac-unit wrote:difference is. Fowler went in the 15th round(after 6 keepers) of my 20 team keeper league. I got Anderson off WW after the first week. Anderson is the same type of player as Ellsbury, I think the Braves will regret trading him instead of keeping him for LF.

No team will ever regret not making Josh Anderson their starting LF. His steals could make him a decent fantasy player if he gets enough ABs, but he's not a starter on even an average ML team, least of all in LF.

I'm not saying LF on any ML team. I am saying J.Anderson-Schafer-Heyward looks alot better for the future then Diaz/Francoeur-Schafer-Heyward. The Braves most used guy in the leadoff spot this year has been Kelly Johnson. You can't tell me Anderson wouldn't be better in that spot, even though Kelly Johnson is a real threat on the basepaths with his 22 career stolen bases.

BTW. The Braves as a team have 3 stolen bases this season. Anderson has more then that in his first 21 ABs this year.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:49 pm

3 for 3 with another SB today. now batting .364 with a .417 OBP and .515 SLG (from a few doubles and a triple), and 6 SB (1 CS).

I'd say a must add in deep leagues.
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:56 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:3 for 3 with another SB today. now batting .364 with a .417 OBP and .515 SLG (from a few doubles and a triple), and 6 SB (1 CS).

i'd say use caution for weekly leagues though since he'll sit vs leftys
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby auclairkeithbc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:3 for 3 with another SB today. now batting .364 with a .417 OBP and .515 SLG (from a few doubles and a triple), and 6 SB (1 CS).

i'd say use caution for weekly leagues though since he'll sit vs leftys

definitely. if he is facing 4 in a week, and you have a decent other option, he probably should be benched. but he also does have pinch runner SB potential, and could come in as a defensive replacement as soon as the lefty starting the game is out, if the game is close enough.

i still think he is a relatively weak play in 12 team leagues, but if you have a deep bench and it is a daily transaction league, totally worth owning. in 16+ team leagues that start 5 OF and especially in AL-only leagues, he is very likely to be an upgrade for some owner, even in a weekly transaction league.
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fenam » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:01 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:i still think he is a relatively weak play in 12 team leagues, but if you have a deep bench and it is a daily transaction league, totally worth owning. in 16+ team leagues that start 5 OF and especially in AL-only leagues, he is very likely to be an upgrade for some owner, even in a weekly transaction league.

I've been relatively quiet since I first brought up this topic but as the days go by Josh Anderson continues to grow in value for me. The volatility of young outfielders is many times frustrating and disconcerting (Justin Upton being a great example) while fantasy teams are considering 5 categories in deciding who to draft/pickup/drop etc.. Josh Anderson seems like a great fill in for a struggling draftee you are waiting on to come around. He has already shown an intense rate of steals (tied for third of ALL OF eligible (espn 20 game prior year, 10 game current)) with 6 steals. He is also in the Detroit Tiger lineup (who in my opinion is a great hitting team) so steals --> runs. Also 4/12 of his hits have been for extra bases 3 2bs 1 3b. He is NOT going to hit homeruns, that is clear. What he is going to do is get a ton of steals, plenty of runs, maybe have a decent average, and have a chance at okay rbis. Keep ignoring him if you want but my advice is to stash and spot start.
Avid Twins fan.
Champion: 2009 Midwest Mayhem Fantasy Baseball
Fenam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm

You could probably drop Bonifacio for him. :-D
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero