The Speedy Josh Anderson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Speedy Josh Anderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Speedy Josh Anderson

Postby Fenam » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Marcus Thames suffered an undisclosed injury (possibly an oblique) during BP on Tuesday and will go on the DL. That should mean more at-bats at DH for Carlos Guillen and starts in left for Josh Anderson
-http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/FantasySourceFastball/entry/view/23344/injury_roundup_devine_down,_ziegler_up

Stats so far:
6/17 5runs 0hrs 4rbi 3BB 3K 2sb .353avg .450obp .529slg .979ops

I just picked him up and dropped the struggling of late Fowler. To me Anderson seems like he is going to get more runs and start to see more playing time with an aged OF in Detroit.

What do you guys think? Will Anderson take this opportunity to earn regular playing time?
Avid Twins fan.
Champion: 2009 Midwest Mayhem Fantasy Baseball
Fenam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Speedy Josh Anderson

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:43 pm

I would have kept Fowler as he's got a lot more upside than Anderson. He couldn't even secure a starting job on the Braves so I wouldn't expect much from him other than steals.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mac-unit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:53 pm

difference is. Fowler went in the 15th round(after 6 keepers) of my 20 team keeper league. I got Anderson off WW after the first week. Anderson is the same type of player as Ellsbury, I think the Braves will regret trading him instead of keeping him for LF.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby Fenam » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:06 pm

To put things in perspective I'm in a 12 team H2H. So, keeper value has no influence on me.

I certainly agree Dexter has more potential upside but Anderson imo has an upside all his own. I'm not liking how the Rockies are looking without Holliday (who I have) while the Detroit Tigers are mashing the ball around and just need some defense for their mediocre pitchers (ie anderson's speed in the OF). So, in that sense I used the waiver wire/ FA as an additional bench spot for Fowler just daring any of my league mates to pick up Fowler and drop one of their prospects. I would advise all to take a glance at Anderson or keep him on a watch list and as mac-unit said, and I agree with ,"same type of player as Ellsbury."

Happy hunting!
Avid Twins fan.
Champion: 2009 Midwest Mayhem Fantasy Baseball
Fenam
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:15 pm

Fenam wrote:To put things in perspective I'm in a 12 team H2H. So, keeper value has no influence on me.

I certainly agree Dexter has more potential upside but Anderson imo has an upside all his own. I'm not liking how the Rockies are looking without Holliday (who I have) while the Detroit Tigers are mashing the ball around and just need some defense for their mediocre pitchers (ie anderson's speed in the OF). So, in that sense I used the waiver wire/ FA as an additional bench spot for Fowler just daring any of my league mates to pick up Fowler and drop one of their prospects. I would advise all to take a glance at Anderson or keep him on a watch list and as mac-unit said, and I agree with ,"same type of player as Ellsbury."

Happy hunting!

I'm saying upside as in this year, Fowler will at least give you some power along with the speed that he'll give you. End year numbers Fowler > Anderson.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm

I think closer to Michael Bourn instead of Ellsbury.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:35 pm

I've probably been advocating taking a look at Anderson as much as anyone on this board. But I think you need to temper your expectations. Playing full time, I'd say he basically a Willy Taveras type, maybe with SLIGHTLY more power (he hit 7 HR and 32 2B in 2008 majors/minors combined). A guy that won't destroy you in batting average like Bourn and someone capable of leading the league in SB per AB. He averaged 58.8 SB per season over his last 5 minor league seasons.

Ellsbury is a much better average hitter than Anderson, and he's shown significantly more power, so they aren't very comparable players. Not to mention, Ellsbury has solidified himself atop a very impressive lineup, while Anderson, even with a full time gig, is unlikely to lead off.

Now, all that being said, he is in now way guaranteed a full time gig. At best, he'll play every day vs. righties, but even that is a bit too high to expect even without Thames. The Tigers seem to want to give Larish some time, and he is also a lefty, and once Thames comes back, I think they'll get him in the lineup occasionally vs. righties as well. Leyland does seem to really like Anderson though, and he talks about needing to add speed to the lineup and field quite often. Plus Anderson is seriously outhitting Larish and Thames right now, so that is a plus for him as well.

In dynasty type leagues, he potentially has Willy Taveras value, or Juan Pierre (when he played regularly) value, because there are always teams that go crazy for .275/.280 hitters that steal a lot of bases and are good outfielders, even if they have virtually no power.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MTUCache » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:11 pm

All the talk about the numbers Anderson would put up if he was playing full time is well and good... but he's not going to be getting full PT (at least for some time).

Tigers Website:
Thames wasn't the full-time designated hitter in the wake of Gary Sheffield's release, and with Thames now out, the Tigers aren't going to rely on one player to replace him, either. The loss likely accentuates Leyland's efforts to rotate players in and out of the DH slot to get them rest. Magglio Ordonez started there on Wednesday, while Ryan Raburn arrived from Triple-A Toledo in time to start in right field.

"I can go a lot of different ways with it," Leyland said, "which is why we opened it up."

Leyland seems to have gotten really stuck on keeping Guillen in LF for some reason, although for the life of me I can't figure out why. He can't be that much of a better defender than Larish, Raburn, or even Thames, and he's not even close to Anderson.

My personal thoughts would be to put Anderson in for a couple of weeks to see if he's going to hit major-league pitching consistently. If he does, there's no reason why he shouldn't be your everyday LF (with Guillen DHing). But, Leyland apparently has other plans, as he always seem to. :-S

I'd figure Anderson may get an extra 10 ABs while Thames is out for the next couple of weeks. That's it. He'll still be getting 1/3 of the LF time, splitting with Guillen/Larish and the DH spot getting split between Guillen/Magglio/Larish.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:40 pm

MTUCache wrote:
My personal thoughts would be to put Anderson in for a couple of weeks to see if he's going to hit major-league pitching consistently. If he does, there's no reason why he shouldn't be your everyday LF (with Guillen DHing). But, Leyland apparently has other plans, as he always seem to. :-S

Is it the .722 career MILB OPS that makes you like him?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby MTUCache » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 pm

kab21 wrote:Is it the .722 career MILB OPS that makes you like him?

No, that's what makes me think he should get a shot for a couple of weeks and then go back to being a defensive/runner-replacement if it doesn't work out. :-b

Let's just say I could learn to live with it, as long as he's playing solid D and putting pressure on the defense/pitchers while he's on the basepaths. The smallball style they've been playing for the last week is a lot better than the slug-fest they tried to put together last year.

If he puts up a .250 average and can get a .700+ OPS, I'd gladly take that as our #9 hitter (assuming Everett is now done and Santiago/Laird/Inge are now batting 6/7/8).
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers