Good sites

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Good sites

Postby ondeckb » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:40 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
Jivedude wrote:
wokse wrote:Anyone have a recommendation as to good websites to check for effective cheat sheets, mock drafts, etc? Thanks

You're on the best one right now!

Lol. Seconded.

Add a third to that. ;-D

You have already found it. :-)

I keep hearing how good the Cafe cheat sheets were so I looked at them for the first time tonight (Relief Pitchers) because I was involved in a thread where someone rated Rhodes ahead of Borowski as a closer this year.

Well thank God I thought, the Cafe has Borowski ahead of Rhodes, if only by one spot :-

But when I looked a little closer, the only reason Borowski was ahead of Rhodes was because Lo (I presume Arlo) gave Rhodes a nil rating (great choice IMO) ;-D 3 of the 6 so called experts rated Rhodes above Borowski, if only marginally. :-?

I looked a little deeper and I found a huge anomoly on that list.

Eddie Guardado ranked 17th as a RP???? despite the fact that four of the seven "fantasy veterans" rated him in the Top 12 and two of those four rated him as high as Top 7. The obvious reason for this anomoly was because RJ (whoever the heck that is?) did not rate him in the top 35 RP and Big L (Lebowski?) rated him 30th best.

And these guys are fantasy veterans 8-o

I looked through more of RJ and came to a quick conclusion that if his (I presume it is a bloke) rankings were discarded the Cafe cheat sheets would be far more accurate.

Following are some of his pearlers.

Bengie Molina not ranked in the top 25 catchers.

Dimitri Young rated 5 places ahead of Kevin Millar as a 1B and not ranked as a 3B.

Greg Maddux not ranked in the Top 60 SP

Todd Walker and Jimmy Rollins not ranked in the Top 25 in their respective positions

Need I go on.

Please edit this crazy effort out of the equation and they will be worthy of paying attention to.

Just loved seeing "bloke" B-)
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fluidoz » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:31 am

Get one cheat sheet and modify it to your liking. If you go straight out with someone else predictions you didn't do your homework. Making my own cheat sheet is half the fun of Fantasy Baseball. If I get smoked, it's my fault. And if I win I get the credit. Not some unanimous write from what ever site your on at the time.
Fluidoz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jivedude » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:56 pm

ondeckb wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
Jivedude wrote:
wokse wrote:Anyone have a recommendation as to good websites to check for effective cheat sheets, mock drafts, etc? Thanks

You're on the best one right now!

Lol. Seconded.

Add a third to that. ;-D

You have already found it. :-)

I looked a little deeper and I found a huge anomoly on that list.

Eddie Guardado ranked 17th as a RP???? despite the fact that four of the seven "fantasy veterans" rated him in the Top 12 and two of those four rated him as high as Top 7. The obvious reason for this anomoly was because RJ (whoever the heck that is?) did not rate him in the top 35 RP and Big L (Lebowski?) rated him 30th best.

And these guys are fantasy veterans 8-o

Just loved seeing "bloke" B-)

I think that maybe the reason Guardado is rated so low is because the rankings were made before Sasaki left for Japan and Guardado was figuring to be the setup man?
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:24 pm

Jivedude wrote:I think that maybe the reason Guardado is rated so low is because the rankings were made before Sasaki left for Japan and Guardado was figuring to be the setup man?

That is correct. ;-D

The rankings were done while Guardado was still planned on being a set up man for Sasaki. Obviously his ranking would be higher now that he is the closer. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby NZF » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:54 pm

Madison wrote:
Jivedude wrote:I think that maybe the reason Guardado is rated so low is because the rankings were made before Sasaki left for Japan and Guardado was figuring to be the setup man?

That is correct. ;-D

The rankings were done while Guardado was still planned on being a set up man for Sasaki. Obviously his ranking would be higher now that he is the closer. :-)

That confuses me even more then. For a list to be as accurate as possible the samples should be taken with everyone having access to the same info. If 1 "veteran" doesn't rank Guardado at all he was obviously of the opinion that he would be a set up man only. Three of the other guys that had him Top 10 were saying closer.

I know there is flaws in every list of rankings but if this list is been championed as the best of them all then these kind of anomolies should not have happened.

Also why are they not updated? A highly recommended cheat sheet in January could look like Yahoo's by April if it isn't :-D
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby prodpaul » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:10 am

Fluidoz wrote:Get one cheat sheet and modify it to your liking. If you go straight out with someone else predictions you didn't do your homework. Making my own cheat sheet is half the fun of Fantasy Baseball. If I get smoked, it's my fault. And if I win I get the credit. Not some unanimous write from what ever site your on at the time.

VERY well said! ;-D or typed

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wkelly91 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:28 am

I know there is flaws in every list of rankings but if this list is been championed as the best of them all then these kind of anomolies should not have happened.

Also why are they not updated? A highly recommended cheat sheet in January could look like Yahoo's by April if it isn't :-D[/quote]

Please don't update them. I make my own lists and if someone is using flawed info I will have an edge ;-)
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:52 am

Yeah but that attitude is contrary to the very purpose of the Cafe...
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby frog99 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:58 am

shortsavage wrote:mlb.com's ratings have been some of my favorites to date.

soriano 10th behing Gange?!!!! im sorry pictures or no pictures, the guy who made Mlb.com's rankings should be dragged outside and shot.

" Is it insane to call a guy who hit .290 with 38 homers and had 35 steals a risk for 2004? Maybe. But after most of America watched the All-Star second baseman flail at pitches throughout the 2003 postseason, there is some doubt as to whether Soriano is still a first-round fantasy pick. A lot of the pressure he experienced last season should be lifted now that he'll be making his home in Texas. He'll also benefit from hitting in a park that yielded a Major League-
high 12.2 runs per game last season. Soriano probably will be patrolling center field for the Rangers in 2004, but still should qualify as a second baseman in most leagues. If he can get over his problems at the plate, he easily could swat 50 homers with the Rangers. If not, you still can expect 35 homers and 30 steals, but an average around .250-.260 is more likely. "

there is some doubt as to whether Soriano is still a first-round fantasy pick.

this guys is crazy.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chicksdigdalongball » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:41 pm

It would be easy to sit here and pick apart every little thing wrong with rankings. Bottom line, if every ranking was the same it would be boring. I'm just glad there are sites like the Cafe that put out free rankings that are well thought out. Do I agree with everything? No, but I like to see certain players "out of place" and then target those guys for myself to see why. Then I compile my own rankings. Oh well, enough said. That's my two cents worth.

To answer your original question, here are two sites that are free with pretty good rankings.

http://www.baseballdocs.com
http://www.rotochamps.com
chicksdigdalongball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers