Josh Hamilton's Story - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Hamilton's Story

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby PriceIsRight » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:23 am

AllDay wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Imagine how good the Rays would be had he not become a drug addict... :-°
I'm glad he kicked his habit - but he gets no bonus points from me for being a recovering heroin addict.


Based on my recollection, he was addicted to coke and crack.

BTW, if anyone out there gets the chance to read his book (Beyond Belief) that came out a while back, do so. It's one of the most inspiring and compelling books I've ever read.
PriceIsRight
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 24
Joined: 4 Apr 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:42 am

I am benching him today so I'd suspect he'll go 4/5 w/ a tater or two... :-o
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:45 am

AllDay wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Imagine how good the Rays would be had he not become a drug addict... :-°

Strangely it seems like his drug addict past is actually making him more popular. I suppose if he was a recovering rapist and murderer as well then he'd be the #1 overall pick in fantasy drafts and his jersey would be everywhere.

I'm glad he kicked his habit - but he gets no bonus points from me for being a recovering heroin addict.

What we achieve is significant only for what we have overcome. The fact that Josh Hamilton let himself fall so far but then worked his way back up makes what he is doing now even more admirable.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby silverZ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Did someone just compare a drug addiction to rape or murder? :-t
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2963
(Past Year: 73)
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby AllDay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:13 am

Did someone just force an accusation of comparing drug addiction to rape and murder that wasn't there? :-t

When you compare things you take example 1 and example 2 and point out similarities and differences.

What I did was speculate that if if Josh Hamilton had even more trouble in his past that our twisted society would somehow deem his story 'even better' and he would become even more popular.
30
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 287
Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby CadensDad » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:34 am

AllDay wrote:Did someone just force an accusation of comparing drug addiction to rape and murder that wasn't there? :-t

When you compare things you take example 1 and example 2 and point out similarities and differences.

What I did was speculate that if if Josh Hamilton had even more trouble in his past that our twisted society would somehow deem his story 'even better' and he would become even more popular.



This made me LOL, you think we would be happy if he was a murder or rapist? Because regardless of what you meant that is what you did. Pointing out similarities of two things is pretty much like saying they are the same when they are not. Even hardcore drug dealers and murders think rapist are sick people,

You say he is more popular because he overcame his addiction? Well he is, because I'm quite sure that 95% of us on here and that follow sports personally know of at least 1 person who has feel victim to the addiction. Some of us know more 1 and have someone very close to us who has went through it. So when we see someone like Hamilton go through it and come out to be one of the best players in baseball we all get this ray of hope that our friend, family member, or loved one will be able to kick the habit and still make something of themselves.
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby jlm53089 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:04 pm

CadensDad wrote:
AllDay wrote:Did someone just force an accusation of comparing drug addiction to rape and murder that wasn't there? :-t

When you compare things you take example 1 and example 2 and point out similarities and differences.

What I did was speculate that if if Josh Hamilton had even more trouble in his past that our twisted society would somehow deem his story 'even better' and he would become even more popular.



This made me LOL, you think we would be happy if he was a murder or rapist? Because regardless of what you meant that is what you did. Pointing out similarities of two things is pretty much like saying they are the same when they are not. Even hardcore drug dealers and murders think rapist are sick people,

You say he is more popular because he overcame his addiction? Well he is, because I'm quite sure that 95% of us on here and that follow sports personally know of at least 1 person who has feel victim to the addiction. Some of us know more 1 and have someone very close to us who has went through it. So when we see someone like Hamilton go through it and come out to be one of the best players in baseball we all get this ray of hope that our friend, family member, or loved one will be able to kick the habit and still make something of themselves.
Image
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3058
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tampa, praying for a new stadium.

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby AllDay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:04 pm

CadensDad wrote:
AllDay wrote:Did someone just force an accusation of comparing drug addiction to rape and murder that wasn't there? :-t

When you compare things you take example 1 and example 2 and point out similarities and differences.

What I did was speculate that if if Josh Hamilton had even more trouble in his past that our twisted society would somehow deem his story 'even better' and he would become even more popular.



This made me LOL, you think we would be happy if he was a murder or rapist? Because regardless of what you meant that is what you did. Pointing out similarities of two things is pretty much like saying they are the same when they are not. Even hardcore drug dealers and murders think rapist are sick people,


...and where do I say people would be 'happy' if he was a rapist or murderer? I don't.

Where did I point out a similarity between drug addiction and rape or murder? I didn't.

Now go make up some other stuff to accuse me of since you can't seem to discuss my actual comments intelligently.
30
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 287
Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:21 pm

AllDay wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Imagine how good the Rays would be had he not become a drug addict... :-°


Strangely it seems like his drug addict past is actually making him more popular. I suppose if he was a recovering rapist and murderer as well then he'd be the #1 overall pick in fantasy drafts and his jersey would be everywhere.

I'm glad he kicked his habit - but he gets no bonus points from me for being a recovering heroin addict.


I really don't think you understand how addictions work, especially something as potent and deadly as heroin. It is very difficult to kick a habit involving substances. Not only did Hamilton beat addiction but he returned to professional baseball as a top 15 player. He definitely deserves bonus points for that.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Josh Hamilton's Story

Postby LetsGoYankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:25 pm

As long as we are talking about Hamilton...anyone think his running game may be underrated? He's really fast for a big guy and could steal 20 if he wanted to.
LetsGoYankees
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 89
Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact