Saving #1 waiver priority (Yahoo) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Saving #1 waiver priority (Yahoo)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Saving #1 waiver priority (Yahoo)

Postby Great Gazoo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:31 pm

SIAP, using the search function for this was not helpful.

The old conundrum in FB has been when is it worthwhile to use your number 1 priority. Do you grab a highly touted but less sought after callup who is available earlier or do you wait another week/month for someone else. Yahoo did a pretty good job making the top studs available for drafts this year (in my setup at least).

Are there any upcoming players that deem worthy of holding onto a #1 waiver priority for a large portion of this year. I have watched a few guys that were dropped already, that may have been beneficial to add, but haven't felt like wasting the pick. What are your thoughts on when to use the waiver this year?
Great Gazoo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Saving #1 waiver priority (Yahoo)

Postby B-Chad » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 pm

If it's a re-draft league I'd probably use it when a panicky owner cuts bait on someone too early, but if it's a keeper I'd say wait and hope that Yahoo! adds Stephen Strasburg. There are only two prospects not in the player pool that I see that could make the majors this year (though they'll both have a very difficult time doing so because they are in A+) and that's Buster Posey and Pedro Alvarez. You can always hope that Mark Prior gets healthy and is put into the database :-b
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby the izzy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:18 pm

B-Chad wrote:If it's a re-draft league I'd probably use it when a panicky owner cuts bait on someone too early

I've been sitting on my for a while, and have moved from #6 up to #2. Yesterday an owner cut Vladimir Guerrero so I plan to jump on that. He may be older, slower, and weaker, but he still a decent OF option.
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby smoovethug » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:14 pm

It really depends on a lot of things. IMO it's a much tougher call in leagues set up for prospects to be added when called up. It also depends on the other owners in your league. If you're playing with a bunch of guys who are going to make irrational decisions after a few weeks then I'd wait for the inevitable bad drop.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby fezzik » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:58 pm

I'm in one league where I have the #1 waiver priority. The other owners are all a bunch of n00bs, so I'm sure I'll be able to pounce on one of their irrational drops.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 pm

fezzik wrote:I'm in one league where I have the #1 waiver priority. The other owners are all a bunch of n00bs, so I'm sure I'll be able to pounce on one of their irrational drops.

You keep telling yourself that when you hit the bottom of the ladder in July, and are still holding that #1 waiver. ;-7 ;-)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby fezzik » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:08 am

AussieDodger wrote:
fezzik wrote:I'm in one league where I have the #1 waiver priority. The other owners are all a bunch of n00bs, so I'm sure I'll be able to pounce on one of their irrational drops.

You keep telling yourself that when you hit the bottom of the ladder in July, and are still holding that #1 waiver. ;-7 ;-)

I'll probably be holding the dang thing all season. I didn't think the ;-7 smilie was necessary for my last post. ;-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:01 am

i think it's more important to save for AL/NL Only Leagues in case guys come over in a trade
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby fbc_fan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:00 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i think it's more important to save for AL/NL Only Leagues in case guys come over in a trade

i agree with this.

also it seems to be a bit devalued this year because most of the prospects (aside from the two mentioned) that you would spend the claim on are already in the database as NA. it has become simply a freebie when someone makes a dumb drop.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i think it's more important to save for AL/NL Only Leagues in case guys come over in a trade

Yeah I've always thought that element of AL/NL-only leagues was unfair and sometimes arbitrary. It's an interesting element but the stakes are too high when it comes to players like Manny, Holliday, etc suddenly appearing on the WW. It's like playing in a league with tremendous idiots who drop two of their top five draft picks.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers