Dennis Raben - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Dennis Raben

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dennis Raben

Postby JohnTucker0814 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Wanted to know everyone's take on this guy. I don't see that he has played this year, anyone know what his status is? Is he injured, playing extended spring ball? I'm looking at him in a Minor League Draft... but just can't find any info on him. I'm looking at him or Greg Halman... Halman's strikeout rate right now scares me away... can't wait to hear you're thoughts!

Also, here is a list of guys that I'm looking at, will you guys rank them in order of where I should select them:

Dennis Raben
Greg Halman
Chris Carter
Josh Reddick
Neftali Soto
Kia Ka'aihue
Josh Bell
Michael Taylor
Jamile Weeks (where is he as well?)
Max Ramirez

Thanks for the help!
JohnTucker0814
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dennis Raben

Postby Steve-o » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Both Raben and Weeks are in college and therefore fall outside of my research on minors. Somebody else will better tell you where they fit in. As far as the others, here is how I rank them:

52 - Greg Halman
58 - Chris Carter
72 - Michael Taylor
73- Max Ramirez
91 - Kila Ka'aihue
102 - Josh Reddick
124 - Neftali Soto
150+ - Josh Bell
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Weeks and Raben are both in the minors but aren't playing possibly due to minor injuries. Or they are playing in extended spring training which doens't have stats.

I might go with Reddick out of that list. He has started extremely hot. The big thing to watch concerning him is if he ever takes enough pitches to get walks and to make the pitcher throw it near the strike zone. From what I've heard he likes chasing pitches and so far he's been able hit them but that might not be the case as he moves up.

Halman scared me in the WBC with his Pedro Cerrano-esq ability to swing and miss on every breaking pitch. He's still young and has time to improve but he wasn't within 6 inches of any of the breaking balls which ended up being just about every pitch.

Weeks is a guy I like to potentially put up Brian Roberts slash stats and 5x5 counting numbers. He's got pretty good plate discipline and can probably go 10/30+ with plenty of doubles and runs. Where he's at right now is a mystery though?

Carter, Taylor and Max are solid prospects. Carter's K's scare me but he's got power - maybe he's a Carlos Pena offensively. Some think Max can stick at C where he would be a pretty good offensive player but he's fairly ordinary at 1B/DH.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 523)

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Steve-o wrote:Both Raben and Weeks are in college and therefore fall outside of my research on minors. Somebody else will better tell you where they fit in. As far as the others, here is how I rank them:

52 - Greg Halman
58 - Chris Carter
72 - Michael Taylor
73- Max Ramirez
91 - Kila Ka'aihue
102 - Josh Reddick
124 - Neftali Soto
150+ - Josh Bell

Raben and Weeks both got drafted and played minor league ball last year. Raben was a second rounder and Weeks was a first rounder(12th oveall).

Weeks
Reddick

Soto
Taylor (Older than the guys above and was only in A last year...if he can continue at AA and above then he could jump Soto and be in the mix with the top two guys)
Ka'aihue
Halman (Will jump up the rankings when I see his BB/K ratio improve, until then... :-P )
Carter
Ramirez (He won't stay at catcher so his value drops)

Raben
Bell
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 621)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Raben is dealing with a knee issue. Right now he's rehabbing to try to play this year, but the possibility exists that he'll have to go under the knife and will miss the season.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:29 pm

Weeks set his school record for triples and BA. He's a speed machine. I'd rank him first easily. Reddick is a nice prospect but he has some serious work to do at the plate. Given, the majority of it is the usual. Patience at the plate, developing a better eye, learning to hit to all fields. But the potential is there.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby JohnTucker0814 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks for the info on Raben... anyone know where Weeks is? Is he injured as well?
JohnTucker0814
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Steve-o » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:10 pm

All right, you guys gotta fill me in a little on the thought process here. I have Raben at 127 on my overall list, but I don't have Weeks the top 250 (and when I did a google search he came up as at Univ of Miami - thus the college comment. Should've checked a date).

After a little more research, Weeks is listed as a three star guy, Oakland's 9th best prospect by Kevin Goldstein (BP), Sickels has him at 7th as a B, and Baseball America has him at 9th. This would put him outside the top 100 list for every one of those publications. Whereas Halman is in the top 100 for every major list, Carter and Ramirez are on most of them, and Taylor and Reddick are on some of them.

Yet you guys are saying "rank [Weeks] first easily" and someone else put him at the top of their list. I don't get it. Is it the name recognition? Have you guys seen him in person and are you using your own judgment over the "experts"? Somebody help me out on this one...
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yanks_Baby » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Weeks has been a slow developer throughout his high school and college career, but he IS developing. Given time, he could easily become a five tool star, and he has nothing stopping him at SS in oakland. His incredible speed in a large park like Oakland means plenty of triples and XBH 's, and his bat speed is better than his older brothers from what I've seen of him. He's VERY young so he won't be high on anyone's radar, but he has the potential for sure.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:17 pm

It could be that not everyone blindly follows ranking lists. Weeks was the #12 pick last year so it's not like he's some talentless hack. And because I see him as a 30-40 SB guy with 10HR power (and alot of doubles) and good K/BB rates that moves him up fantasy lists for me. The only thing that concerns me is this injury that he's got right now.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 523)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball