FAAB problems on cbssports, any alternatives? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

FAAB problems on cbssports, any alternatives?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FAAB problems on cbssports, any alternatives?

Postby neoforce » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm a new cbssports.com commish, and I'm really frustrated with their FAAB blind bid process that we use once a week. (I'm used to myfantasyleague.com which while clunky, works great)

I'm not leaving cbssports, to run the league, but would love to just punt on their FAAB process and do it manually. The problem is how can I do that? I need a way to have everyone enter their bids somewhere, without me seeing them until the proper time. Even though I'm honest, if everyone emails me that seeing the bids will influence my own bids.

I looked around for a web site that had something like this, I figured there must be something out there that let a group of people enter things under password to be revealed later. Didn't have to be for fantasy sports, but I could use that. (just like there are public, free dice roll sites) But so far no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Our blind bid rules:
  • everyone starts year with $100
  • can only reserve players if sent to minors or on DL
  • can only pick up players on MLB active roster
  • conditional bids are allowed. (pick up X for $, pick up Y for $ if I don't get X)
  • must end up with a full active roster

I have had problems with conditional bids not going in the way the team owner wanted them, people picking up guys currently in the minors, someone put a bid in even though he didn't have roster space for that player, and got him.

I don't like the cbs comish interfaces for processing these bids either.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FAAB problems on cbssports, any alternatives?

Postby koondog » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:21 pm

A couple of things first.

1. CBS CANNOT able to limit pickups to MLB rosters players. All players are up for grabs. If you want to prevent this, you will have to do it manually. ( make sure the owner understand the rules and they won't bid on minor players )
2. CBS CAN prevent owners from picking players if it voilates the max roster size ( configured in the league setup )
3. CBS doesn't have conditional bidding, ie. only bid on C#2, if I didn't get C#1. But there are some ways around this. enter a bid on C#1, and drop P#1. then enter a bid on C#2 and drop same P#1. if you get C1, C2 will fail because you no longer own P1. One issue with the CBS is that they rank them by your bid amounts. I would like to be able to rank my bids myself. ( I have asked this to be changed for the last 2-3 years now )
4. CBS provides the same or different startup budgets
5. Don't understand the reserve player statement, and how it relates to FAAB.
6. I used the auto-allocate, so I don't have any comment on the commish screen to manually process bids.

FWIW, I have used FAAB since CBS started it a couple of years ago. We don't have any problems with it, but I had to taylor my rules around it. ( CBS is unable to assign the winning bid as the players salary, for example). Other sites (ie. allstar) have a more complete/complex FAAB. But I don't know of any specific sites that have just FAAB for free.
koondog
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner