Car problem - Update: Bad Water Pump? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Car problem - Update: Bad Water Pump?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Car problem - anybody have any advice?

Postby markj11 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:42 am

TheRock wrote:
the izzy wrote:I'm going to have to look into this. I have no idea where to find the thermo, but I'm sure google can help. I have been reading into thermostats recently though. Should I just throw down a couple bucks and put a new one in and see if that works, or just yank it like you said?

Should be easy to find. Look for the big hose leading out of your engine block. There will be a bracket that bolts into the block itself, the thermostat just sits in there loose. It's a simple heat-activated spring. If Autozone is near, go ahead and replace it, it will need to be before long anyway. If that's not convenient for a day or two, try taking it out. But yeah, I'm sure you can find a parts explosion online somewhere.

the izzy wrote:picked up some distilled water today. I'll give this a try.

I called around to determine $ should I change the water pump. From what I'm hearing, it's going to be around $220-270. Not great, but not too bad either.

It's a bigger job than changing your oil, but not too terrible if you're fairly comfortable working with cars. Probably 2-3 hours. Buy a 6 pack and invite a buddy over. Make sure you've got all the tools and parts you'll need. That's where it's good if your buddy brings his car.

Sixer is not sufficient for 3 hour job. Also, part explosion and some detail is usually printed on the box that the thermostat comes in, at least the $3 one I got at Advanced Auto had it. Rock, how experienced are you? I may need some advice soon.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:07 pm

markj11 wrote:Sixer is not sufficient for 3 hour job. Also, part explosion and some detail is usually printed on the box that the thermostat comes in, at least the $3 one I got at Advanced Auto had it. Rock, how experienced are you? I may need some advice soon.

I agree, maybe a 12 pack is in order. And some hot wings. At Hooters, after.

I'm no expert by any means, never even took auto shop or anything in high school. But I do a lot of my own work. So if it's ever broke on a car I owned, I know a little something about fixing it. ;-D

Had to pretty much replace the entire cooling system piece by piece on an old Dodge I owned, so I got to know cooling systems pretty well.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby markj11 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:21 pm

TheRock wrote:
markj11 wrote:Sixer is not sufficient for 3 hour job. Also, part explosion and some detail is usually printed on the box that the thermostat comes in, at least the $3 one I got at Advanced Auto had it. Rock, how experienced are you? I may need some advice soon.

I'm no expert by any means, never even took auto shop or anything in high school. But I do a lot of my own work. So if it's ever broke on a car I owned, I know a little something about fixing it. ;-D

Had to pretty much replace the entire cooling system piece by piece on an old Dodge I owned, so I got to know cooling systems pretty well.

I have a 2000 Land Rover DII that has a starter problem that I have been planning to look into. I'm not afraid to try anything but know nothing about starters. The planning to look into process has enter the 13th month.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:26 pm

markj11 wrote:
TheRock wrote:

I have a 2000 Land Rover DII that has a starter problem that I have been planning to look into. I'm not afraid to try anything but know nothing about starters. The planning to look into process has enter the 13th month.

Smarch :-?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby markj11 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
markj11 wrote:
TheRock wrote:

Correct, Smarch 08 is when it broke down.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:02 pm

markj11 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
markj11 wrote:

Correct, Smarch 08 is when it broke down.

Lousy Smarch Weather
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:01 pm

markj11 wrote:
TheRock wrote:

I think starters on most vehicles are pretty easy to replace. The starter on my Impala literally shattered once and I had to replace it, it was like 3 bolts. I'm sure newer cars are a little tougher though.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby markj11 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:56 pm

Metroid wrote:
markj11 wrote:
TheRock wrote:

I think starters on most vehicles are pretty easy to replace. The starter on my Impala literally shattered once and I had to replace it, it was like 3 bolts. I'm sure newer cars are a little tougher though.

Cool, thanks. I have an extra vehicle so I haven't been motivated to get to it. I also built a new house in November and the DII is still at the old house. My third vehicle is a 92 full size Bronco ($140 to fill up last summer). It has been a great vehicle and fun to work on. Only problem is I have to roll the window down and use the outer door handle to get out. By roll down/up I mean push/pull since the motor went out a few years back. Well, I guess there are quite few other problems, I used to take the top off American Pie 2 or 3 style and I only put 2 bolts back in so it's kind of breezy and a little noisy.
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk