Car problem - Update: Bad Water Pump? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Car problem - Update: Bad Water Pump?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Car problem - anybody have any advice?

Postby the izzy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Talked to a guy at Autozone today. He mentioned it could be 1 of 2 problems.

#1: The first being that the fan has completely quit working on me (which it hasn't, so he said it must be #2).

#2: I have a bad water pump that is either failing or has already failed. $30 for a new water pump.

I'm probably going to go around and ask for some other opinions, just to be sure, but what do you guys think? Bad water pump make sense?
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:31 pm

the izzy wrote:Talked to a guy at Autozone today. He mentioned it could be 1 of 2 problems.

#1: The first being that the fan has completely quit working on me (which it hasn't, so he said it must be #2).

#2: I have a bad water pump that is either failing or has already failed. $30 for a new water pump.

I'm probably going to go around and ask for some other opinions, just to be sure, but what do you guys think? Bad water pump make sense?

Could be a bad water pump. Just FYI though the part is cheap, it can be extremely labor intensive to replace depending on your car. It can cost you $300 or more to replace depending on where it is located in your car.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:10 pm

thedude wrote:
the izzy wrote:Talked to a guy at Autozone today. He mentioned it could be 1 of 2 problems.

Could be a bad water pump. Just FYI though the part is cheap, it can be extremely labor intensive to replace depending on your car. It can cost you $300 or more to replace depending on where it is located in your car.

QFT...i dont think it's a DIY type job unless you are pretty good with cars
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
thedude wrote:

QFT...i dont think it's a DIY type job unless you are pretty good with cars

Yeah I wouldn't mess with it, replacing my starter is about as in depth as I'll go fixing my car. :-B
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Car problem - Update: Bad Water Pump?

Postby CadensDad » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:33 pm

I too agree with the other posters about changing the water pump yourself. You'd honestly be best off finding a solid mechanic to do it for you. The job can run anywhere from $75 to $300 depending on the mechanic's charges and where the pump is on the car. Some cars it's rather easy and then some you have the nearly take apart the engine to get to it. But water pump makes perfect sense to me as well.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Re: Car problem - Update: Bad Water Pump?

Postby the izzy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:31 am

As it turns out (after digging around under the hood), the water pump is located right under the engine coolant reservoir. Not too difficult to get to. I plan to call around tomorrow and see what kind of price I can get. Right now I'm leaning on around >$150 = I take it to the shop, >$200 I do it myself.

Thanks for the advice
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheRock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:38 am

I think water pump is a possibility, but I'm not sure Id' jump straight to that. Especially as it's one of your more expensive options. Most likely part to fail in the cooling system is your thermostat, also the easiest/cheapest to replace. You could even take it out and see if you still have an overheating problem. Engine will take longer to heat up to optimum temperature, but would rule that out for free. If the coolant is low I think that's a big clue. Since we're coming into warm weather, you could just add some distilled water and see 1) does it get better and 2) does the level fall back off after a few days. Could be you've got a leak. 2002 car that could be a leaky hose, gasket, radiator, radiator cap, or water pump. Don't pour that leak-clogging stuff in, you might make the symptoms go away for while, but will ultimately gum up your radiator. If there's still a problem after ruling out the thermostat, I would go buy the $10 flush and fill kit at Autozone and give the system a good flushing. Could be you've got some scale buildup impeding the water flow. You could also have that done at most service centers for $60 or so. You'll end up essentially doing a flush and fill anyway if you replace the water pump, might as well try that first.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:02 pm

TheRock wrote:

I think water pump is a possibility, but I'm not sure Id' jump straight to that. Especially as it's one of your more expensive options. Most likely part to fail in the cooling system is your thermostat, also the easiest/cheapest to replace. You could even take it out and see if you still have an overheating problem. Engine will take longer to heat up to optimum temperature, but would rule that out for free. If the coolant is low I think that's a big clue. Since we're coming into warm weather, you could just add some distilled water and see 1) does it get better and 2) does the level fall back off after a few days. Could be you've got a leak. 2002 car that could be a leaky hose, gasket, radiator, radiator cap, or water pump. Don't pour that leak-clogging stuff in, you might make the symptoms go away for while, but will ultimately gum up your radiator. If there's still a problem after ruling out the thermostat, I would go buy the $10 flush and fill kit at Autozone and give the system a good flushing. Could be you've got some scale buildup impeding the water flow. You could also have that done at most service centers for $60 or so. You'll end up essentially doing a flush and fill anyway if you replace the water pump, might as well try that first.

Well I agree about the stop leak stuff, that hurts the engine in the long run. If it is the pump you might as well spend the extra $20 to buy two new hoses and new thermostat because when one fails the others always seem to be not far behind.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby the izzy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:55 pm

TheRock wrote:Most likely part to fail in the cooling system is your thermostat, also the easiest/cheapest to replace. You could even take it out and see if you still have an overheating problem. Engine will take longer to heat up to optimum temperature, but would rule that out for free.

I'm going to have to look into this. I have no idea where to find the thermo, but I'm sure google can help. I have been reading into thermostats recently though. Should I just throw down a couple bucks and put a new one in and see if that works, or just yank it like you said?

TheRock wrote:If the coolant is low I think that's a big clue. Since we're coming into warm weather, you could just add some distilled water and see

picked up some distilled water today. I'll give this a try.

I called around to determine $ should I change the water pump. From what I'm hearing, it's going to be around $220-270. Not great, but not too bad either.
the izzy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheRock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:18 pm

the izzy wrote:I'm going to have to look into this. I have no idea where to find the thermo, but I'm sure google can help. I have been reading into thermostats recently though. Should I just throw down a couple bucks and put a new one in and see if that works, or just yank it like you said?

Should be easy to find. Look for the big hose leading out of your engine block. There will be a bracket that bolts into the block itself, the thermostat just sits in there loose. It's a simple heat-activated spring. If Autozone is near, go ahead and replace it, it will need to be before long anyway. If that's not convenient for a day or two, try taking it out. But yeah, I'm sure you can find a parts explosion online somewhere.

the izzy wrote:picked up some distilled water today. I'll give this a try.

I called around to determine $ should I change the water pump. From what I'm hearing, it's going to be around $220-270. Not great, but not too bad either.

It's a bigger job than changing your oil, but not too terrible if you're fairly comfortable working with cars. Probably 2-3 hours. Buy a 6 pack and invite a buddy over. Make sure you've got all the tools and parts you'll need. That's where it's good if your buddy brings his car.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk