Phil Hughes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Phil Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Phil Hughes

Postby Fender1114 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:11 am

Anyone heard anythign about when he gets called up? I think he's primed to put it togetehr this year -- and he CERTAINLY would be better than Wang!!
Fender1114
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Phil Hughes

Postby Bozo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:21 pm

I haven't heard anything about a call up pending but I'd sure like to see it happen. I don't think his numbers would be great if it does happen but a mid 4 ERA with a handful of wins should be realistic. If he could get an extended look then maybe we could find out once and for all if he truly does have a major league future.
In the meantime I think I read somewher today that the Yanks have found a couple of mechanical adjustments they will make with Wang which might lead to better results. I'm guessing we won't be seeing Hughes for a while yet.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 30)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:22 pm

After listening to NY sports radio for a while today, it seems like most analysts are in agreement that at the very least Wang should not be starting against the Bo Sox this weekend, and although no announcements have been made most think that the Yankees will end up DLing Wang (since they can't send him down as he is out of options) and bringing up Hughes or maybe even Tomko. Take the speculation for what it is worth, but at the very least, they haven't announced anything at this point either way.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby kid sox » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:54 am

pokerplaya wrote:After listening to NY sports radio for a while today, it seems like most analysts are in agreement that at the very least Wang should not be starting against the Bo Sox this weekend, and although no announcements have been made most think that the Yankees will end up DLing Wang (since they can't send him down as he is out of options) and bringing up Hughes or maybe even Tomko. Take the speculation for what it is worth, but at the very least, they haven't announced anything at this point either way.

I've been hearing the same thing. My question is, IF they DL Wang and bring Hughes up and IF Hughes pitches well, does he have any chance to stick in that rotation? Once Wang figures things out, does Hughes get sent back down?
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AmericanShipbuilding » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:10 am

kid sox wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:After listening to NY sports radio for a while today, it seems like most analysts are in agreement that at the very least Wang should not be starting against the Bo Sox this weekend, and although no announcements have been made most think that the Yankees will end up DLing Wang (since they can't send him down as he is out of options) and bringing up Hughes or maybe even Tomko. Take the speculation for what it is worth, but at the very least, they haven't announced anything at this point either way.

I've been hearing the same thing. My question is, IF they DL Wang and bring Hughes up and IF Hughes pitches well, does he have any chance to stick in that rotation? Once Wang figures things out, does Hughes get sent back down?

It would be a good problem for the Yanks to have, but in all likelihood, Hughes will only stick for as long as Wang struggles -- he's one of two pitchers in the rotation with options, and the other is Joba, who isn't going anywhere (INCLUDING THE BULLPEN!). That said, who knows how long till Wang gets it together, and both AJ and Pettitte have injury histories, so it's conceivable that Phil Phranchise will get more than two or three starts here, should he get the call (and I think he will).
AmericanShipbuilding
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Skimo77 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:20 pm

so word on the street is he's starting this tuesday at detroit... is he worth picking up? what are your insights?
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Fender1114 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:49 pm

He's looked excellent this spring and in TripleA, and he's pitching with confidence. I'm starting him on Tuesday, and I expect a quality start with 5 Ks at the very worst -- and I'm a Red Sox fan! ha
Fender1114
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Fender1114 wrote:He's looked excellent this spring and in TripleA, and he's pitching with confidence. I'm starting him on Tuesday, and I expect a quality start with 5 Ks at the very worst -- and I'm a Red Sox fan! ha

im in a dilemma between him and Scott Richmond, both seem to be looking at about the same stats... imo i put confidence in Hughes last year and maybe i just put too much high value on him, but he didn't meet my expectations, this year ive dropped those expectation down quite a bit and im looking for nothing more out of him then stats of a guy that i can spot start against certain matchups, but him against Detroit or Richmond against Toronto both go tomorrow, whos the better pick tomorrow and the rest of the season?

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby FantasyBaseballGuy92210 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Hughes has had another year to mature. He doesn't face the pressure to carry a weak pitching staff this year. This guys has the stuff, is doing good in the minors, and is a future stud. With Wang's crappy start, who knows what might happen.
FantasyBaseballGuy92210
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Bozo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:12 pm

I would absolutely STAY AWAY from Scott Richmond! Don't be fooled by his decent start, he is NOT VERY GOOD! I'm not saying Hughes is going to immediately be Cy Young material but I'd certainly take him over Richmond.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 30)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates