Baseball in 150 words or less - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Baseball in 150 words or less

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Baseball in 150 words or less

Postby Amazinz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:37 pm

This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains. - Bull Durham
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri May 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Did he ever pick a winner?
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Fri May 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Tavish wrote:Funny, I love baseball for almost the exact reasons you dislike it. I love the pace, I love that the game unfolds in its own time. Every other sport tries to force the drama of a game on you with a clock. Baseball plays outside of the normal hustle and bustle of everyday life. I deal with a timeclock every day at work. Get this and that done before 4PM, take your break at noon. Baseball simply says here is what has to be done. Sit back, relax, enjoy a beer, enjoy the day, we'll get there when we get there.

The batter/pitcher matchup can be one of the most intriguing and intense sporting event. The hitter guessing what the pitcher is going to do, the pitcher trying to fool the hitter. Great fastball hitters against power pitchers, crafty veterans against young studs. Clemens buzzing Piazza, Pujols glaring out at Lidge, anyone trying to squeeze a pitch into Bonds' strikezone without him putting it into the Cove. And while all that is going on you have the cat and mouse game of Pierre on first trying to find out exactly how far he can push his lead, the infielders moving back and forth from their stances, players in the batters box watching everything the pitcher does trying to gain an advantage. And thats all before the crack of the bat on contact when the field becomes alive with organized chaos. Runners scrambling around the bases, infielders diving for balls just out of their reach then quickly moving to cover their base or cutoff the throw, the catcher tossing the mask and moving up to block the plate, outfielders preparing to throw a rocket to home. The dust settles, everyone gets ready to do it all again.

See more good descriptions here
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 22, 2009 9:19 pm

Never has there been
A game that challenges the mind
Baseball is that game
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby fezzik » Fri May 22, 2009 9:32 pm

acsguitar wrote:Never has there been
A game that challenges the mind
Baseball is that game

Sounds like a contradiction to me. :-b
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DbacksRback » Sun May 24, 2009 2:29 am

J35J wrote:
Tavish wrote:Funny, I love baseball for almost the exact reasons you dislike it. I love the pace, I love that the game unfolds in its own time. Every other sport tries to force the drama of a game on you with a clock. Baseball plays outside of the normal hustle and bustle of everyday life. I deal with a timeclock every day at work. Get this and that done before 4PM, take your break at noon. Baseball simply says here is what has to be done. Sit back, relax, enjoy a beer, enjoy the day, we'll get there when we get there.

The batter/pitcher matchup can be one of the most intriguing and intense sporting event. The hitter guessing what the pitcher is going to do, the pitcher trying to fool the hitter. Great fastball hitters against power pitchers, crafty veterans against young studs. Clemens buzzing Piazza, Pujols glaring out at Lidge, anyone trying to squeeze a pitch into Bonds' strikezone without him putting it into the Cove. And while all that is going on you have the cat and mouse game of Pierre on first trying to find out exactly how far he can push his lead, the infielders moving back and forth from their stances, players in the batters box watching everything the pitcher does trying to gain an advantage. And thats all before the crack of the bat on contact when the field becomes alive with organized chaos. Runners scrambling around the bases, infielders diving for balls just out of their reach then quickly moving to cover their base or cutoff the throw, the catcher tossing the mask and moving up to block the plate, outfielders preparing to throw a rocket to home. The dust settles, everyone gets ready to do it all again.

[url=http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=240544&hilit=+Strategy]
See more good descriptions here[/url]

There were some good ones. Funny thing happened last year. I play baseball at college and some of us has to work the sidelines for a football game and work with the refs. One official come up and said " nice...baseball players. Someone that can actually hold a conversation" :-b . Then went on a rant how he cant stand football and how he timed a game one time and from whistle to whistle an average football game lasts around 4 minutes.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Previous

Return to General Talk